Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Senior member

these work too.

look, here's the deal. mikey is having some sort of existentialist fashion crisis. i don't know if it's motivated by some personal, internal insecurity, or his fear of wasting money, but whatever - the solution is buying easy to wear shit that generally looks good and works with most things. clarks are an example of this. another example would be some ll bean bluchers. yes, i know that some people (especially retards like lane) think this type of workwear aesthetic is ugly, but, considering his other purchases, it's clearly what he's interested in. look at it like this - when you're learning how to play baseball, you start by hitting the 45 MPH lob at the batting cages, not by swinging at the 97 MPH fast ball. learn to walk before you learn to run.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

is it talking about structure/structuralism in the literary sense (the specific literary terminology)?

have you read foucault?

3. Lane

Lane Senior member

I think he doesnt think he has enough steez for a leather cuz I remember him mentioning that.

also, im against your suggestions because I don't like seeing anyone settle for mediocrity.

4. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

I think a mistake some of you are making is thinking that my social life is suffering because I care about clothes. I don't have any bills, I'm using leftover summer work money for whatever outerwear piece I get. If I wasn't messing around on here while procrastinating, I'd just mess around on cycling forums and digg more. I still have a fine social, academic, and athletic life. To be honest, no one here really has any idea about that so I'm not sure how that effects anything. That being said, I think you guys are right that I should avoid blowing my whole chunk of change on a designer piece. scott has tried to convince me I should go with a really nice piece (like the e.g. field parka), but I'm lenient to blow basically all my remaining money from working on it. At this point I want a field parka type thing, and I really like the cdw and it's a good price, just a matter of waiting for it to be restocked in my size.

also, I did just buy clarks to wear to parties and stuff...

and i've always been super indecisive about buying clothes, sf really hasn't influenced this at all except now I'm indecisive about nicer clothes.

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

not to be mean, but people think you have social life issues because: a. you post about them, b. clothing is life in small, and if you're insecure in buying a varsity, you're probably insecure in most things.

seriously, please consider my advice. also you should walk over to penn station, take a MARC train to DC, and go to the barney's in friendship heights and georgetown and TRY SOME STUFF ON. personal experience with clothes will influence your perception of these brands far more than reading about it on some dudes tumblr.

7. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

This is my problem with Clark's. They're the obvious graduate to running sneakers, the easy way out. Once you wear boots, the majority of your peers will all of a sudden bow down to you as a fashion dude, regardless of how the boots look. I owned two pairs of Clarks (burgundy and beeswax), I liked the burgundy but it aged terribly and was not durable enough for my liking. At least in my experience, once you go down that lowest common denominator route, you waste a ton of money and set yourself back in finding out what you're actually interested in (unless it's of course j. crew, clark's, and quoddy ring boots).

I really have very little against Clark's...they're boring but not offensive. Of course, in a fit I would often like to see something else, but sometimes it can look good (e.g. jkissi). But I still do not agree that they should be recommended to people who are still trying to figure out "style" because of the aforementioned stifling of creativity. For people like Teger and Jkissi who understand what and how they want to dress, I think that there is more thought into choosing Clark's, making it more valid and ok in my eyes.

8. Lane

Lane Senior member

mikey, honestly you obviously care about partying and shit more so why bother with thinking bout parkas and shit.

most people I know save from summer job money so they can blow it during the semester on college related stuff. Not everyone takes their fashion obsession to the degree that I do at my age, although it gives me more enjoyment than other shit would. Only you can answer what you value more, stop asking people to tell you what you already want to hear...

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

i get what you're saying, but i think it's better to buy clarks then jump right into KVA high tops. i think B&S is a really instructive lesson in the flaws of this type of thinking.

10. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

yes ultimately in the literary sense since it's a book on terms for literary study, but authors expand beyond that for example talk about structure and structuralism's influence on biology and information theory.

i've dabbled in foucault, obviously need to spend more time there, but because of particular regional interests and what work he's done on ideology and revolution there.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

are you reading this for school or just for pleasure? have you ever read marxist history? pretty interesting stuff too.

12. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

buying clothing isn't going to effect my social life at all though, I want some nice outerwear because...I want some nice outerwear.

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Haha i watched that last night and laughed. And then they frikken dressed steve carell in a shitty half-zip jumper under a blazer with an ugly tie, i was like wtf?

also that playboy guy is a terrible actor.

Was still fun though.

14. Lane

Lane Senior member

you need money to go out, no? Either way stop being an indecisive fuck, and I wrote the book on that shit.

15. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Wore an old pair of Clark's in the rain today and there's nothing you can do about it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.