Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Senior member

i like clarks. i own a lot of nicer shit but i still own like a pair of classic sand suedes -- yea the quality is iffy, but they look nice (to me), are nondescript, and age well. i own some grey ones i'm probably gonna sell on B&S because i got some nice filiippa k's on B&S.

the reason i preach the gospel of clarks is because they're easy. they look good with most things, they work with jeans and chinos, and they're easy to find and size.

also i don't even think mikey has ever SEEN junya and TB in person. junya is hard to wear. most people on this site who wear wearing junya are wearing the most time pieces.

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Aren't we post-postmodern now? (I don't know periods of art and think post-postmodern is the most uncreatively pitiful name for a period)

3. trafficjam

trafficjam Senior member

I just object to the idea that he should be wearing j crew and clarks as a method of looking better than the people around him. He should be wearing things he wants to wear, and if that means j crew and clarks, more power to him, but I feel there's a lot of missing the forest for the trees with the idea that wearing shit that is a step up because it's a step up. I assume g transistor bought dbs and plaid button ups because he thought it made him look better, not because that's what he wanted to wear, and that sense of self satisfaction without any personal investment into one's clothes is an undesirable state, in my mind.

4. Lane

Lane Senior member

clarks are pieces of shit

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

if you think that most people wear what they wear because they have a deep personal attachment to the intrinsic value of the clothing.. then i want some of what you're taking.

a function of liking what you wear is how other people perceive - we're social creatures and other people's opinions inform our own. mikey is clearly going for a certain aesthetic, which, to me, is what scott.m wears. a way to capture that cheaply and easily is to wear j crew and clarks.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

i mean post modern in the sense that post modern critique looks at things a certain way.

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

yah, and the last thing I want people to perceive is that I have no taste, which is what I'd do if I bought clarks.

8. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

this is sound advice, has been offered before, and what I would stil suggest, and yet ... :confused:

what i don't agree with is going the easy route -- there's nothing to learn there and it stifles the creative mind.

on an unrelated note inspired by your call for a post-modernist critique, have you read this http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Terms-Literary-Study-Lentricchia/dp/0226472035

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

yes because buying clarks is equivalent to having no taste. god, you're such a fucking moron.

10. Lane

Lane Senior member

lool

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

no, is it good? i've read a lot of original french post modernist stuff - derrida, focault.

FWIW, I think that there's a lot of good in post-modernism, but not in literary analysis.

12. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Think I was the only one in the theater that was laughing during the anti-GAP and anti-New Balance scenes in Crazy, Stupid, Love. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Honestly, I think the J Crew Macalister boot is a much better alternative to Clarks, and can be found for less than $100 on eBay. Good basics to roll out to parties in, etc.

14. Lane

Lane Senior member

yah, I know this is surprising since you probably get lots of compliments from your jcrew outfits around virginia.

15. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i have no idea, will read it very soon, but in it there's discussion of the concept of structure, structuralism, and system which i am curious about. hence the damir diapers vs julius skorts :happy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.