Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trafficjam

trafficjam Senior member

Yo, this is the truth that needs to be drilled into every beginner's brain.

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

why? clarks DBs are great. i don't give a fuck if you think you're too cool for them and would rather wear 50 pairs of kva high tops, but compared to most shit people wear, clarks are a definite step up. yes they've become more ubiquitous, but 95% of people are still wearing ass ugly running sneakers 24/7. i also think that most of this forum is far too uncomfortable to rock most of the shit they covet - look at the prada creepers. everyone loves them but nobody wears them.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

if you are so poor you should just buy fucking j crew - for real. it's basically junya lite at this point.

4. Islander

Islander Senior member

5. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

Ftfy

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

bear in mind, he goes to hopkins.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

the thing about jcrew is that it's really not that cheap.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

at retail j crew isn't that cheap, but the entire line (especially seasonal pieces) goes to 70% off.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

10. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i think that this is a poor standard -- looking better than "95% of people" is not a difficult endeavor and certainly not something worth sifting through SF to achieve. it's fine if that's the goal, but this is hardly pushing any boundaries and can be achieved by following the most formulaic guidelines.

on the other hand, you strike a good point regarding comfort vs covet, something that makes browsing here potentially exciting but ultimately there's something left to be desired. might as well just look through tumblrs with less commentary about leather jacket yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/dealdrugs/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/swag/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no

and so i've begun delving into an unknown world of the absurd, a journey from which I may never return alive. but I embrace the madness :decisions:

/nonsense_rant

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

11. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Are you seriously going to use the rest of the population as a reason for why Clark's are great?

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

someone should write a postmodernist critique of SF. you're right - looking better than 95% of the population shouldn't the goal, but it's a great place to start. investing in fashion is a lesson in diminishing returns. most people (even on this board) don't have the time and funds required to immerse themselves in the ridiculous world of clothes. for someone like mikey, he should spend less time obsessing over jacket color and more time wearing his clothes and developing a style. when i first got into fashion i was making way more money than i am now, and i was constantly buying new shit/flipping shit/"evolving", and while it was nice to experience a lot of stuff, i think the last two years, during which i've basically been wearing the same clothes (adding 5-10 things a season) has been a lot better as a mechanism for developing my own 'look'. what i'm basically trying to say is mikey needs to spend less time thinking about clothes and more time living his life in them. then he can have an idea what he wants, and buy bigtime investment pieces, but until then he should stick to j crew and clarks.

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

also, and this is just a personal issue, i fucking despise when 18-20 year olds whine about how busy they are with their classes. i don't care how many credits you take or where you go to school, your life is nothing but luxury (and i've lived that luxury and still do to some extent, and it's great). do you know who is really busy? the people who take just as many credits as you and work full time jobs to support their family. complaining about how you can't find some easy 10 hour a week job -- i mean fuck, answer questions on chacha -- is just whining.

college students are the worst.

14. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I find it so weird that some (seems like many) people on SF weren't into clothes before coming here

15. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I completely agree with you about mikey. Dude should not be touching TB or Junya any time soon.

I don't think he should wear Clark's though. They're just ugly, and only some love because they're the next step up from running sneakers, but ultimately there are so many things that look better but don't really get considered simply because of the fact that Clarks are "boots" and not "sneakers," and we all know that that's the logical step in the evolution of style. Well fitting J. Crew and a nice pair of white low tops will destroy, or hell, I even have a fondness of New Balances over Clark's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.