• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Have you not seen Inapt? Their peacoats are shorter, and were (are?) rather popular (at least on the internets). I really don't get the hate for the second set of pockets and i'd assume that some boxiness was intended, not everything is meant to be extremely slim (i'd say outerwear is a prime example of when slim may look off). Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd assume 30oz wool doesn't drape/move as well as a much lighter wool, even one so heavy as 24oz as he specifies is used in US Navy peacoats or whatever. Anyway, not my cup of tea, but I don't understand your criticisms.
i'll simplify, then: i think it's ugly i don't get the breast pockets (when mauro puts his hands in them it really exaggerates how ridiculous they are) and i think it would have looked better longer

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean gum shoes, while fashionable, makes your feet really sweaty after a day in front of a computer.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
The question isn't what the price of the fabric is but how appropriate it is to the design and brand identity. Lanvin uses pricey and often custom-made fabrics but it fits within their proposals. Sometimes they slip and you get 1K cashmere pajama pants.

Originally Posted by jet
^Don't forget cp's on shoreman type people.

+1 to fuuma, not sure why people expect lanvin type fabrics on streetwear coats

yeah, but come on though... the Bless hood coats retail for $1200+, I think in my country it retails around $2000. I'm not saying it needs Lanvin-level materials here, I'm saying the materials used in Bless things are pretty crappy for the price, all in all, and it wouldn't hurt them to maybe step it up at least a notch or two and just reflect the added materials cost in the price and not reflect it in the markup or something, it's a matter of like $50 max, to which their $400 or so line price would not be particularly hurting.. It's a step up from H+M and Uniqlo level though not by much, and costs 10X more.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i'll simplify, then: i think it's ugly

i don't get the breast pockets (when mauro puts his hands in them it really exaggerates how ridiculous they are) and i think it would have looked better longer

think the length is fine but the breast pockets are o_0

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not really feeling the peacoat either, but I think Mauro's done a nice job uniquely branding a staple that is almost always criticized when tinkered with. I could be wrong, but I think the picture of Mauro with his hands in the breast pockets is meant to put a focus on the pockets. I can't really imagine anyone keeping their arms up that high for very long.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you're dressing as Napoleon on Saturday.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breast pockets are handwarmers, guys. If you're not wearing warm gloves those are godsends. I like that there are handwarmers up top and slant pockets below -- you don't see that often.

I'm also interested in the raglan block.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^true, but I think APK's point was that the breast pockets are rather high to be comfortable with your arms bent that much, especially if you are bundled up with a sweater. I'd be curious to see if using the lower pockets is comfortable. Without an insulated lining, I'm wondering of four pockets lets too much heat escape on a cold winter day.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Precisely. I'm sure they do a dandy job of keeping your hands warm, but I don't see how it'd be comfortable to keep your arms in that position for very long.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was buying a new tire this morning and kept getting distracted by a big promotional poster of this guy wearing an OCBD that horribly draped off his shoulders.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What I don't get is how poorly dressed actors in commercials are. Are commercial budgets so low these days that the actors have to look like they dress in K-mart irregulars?

And what is it with ex-ballplayer sportscasters and their awful taste in suits?

I ask you!

slaani

Reaction score
^^^^
ESPN is a sartorial nightmare. Suits so bad they're distracting, even though I know nothing about suiting.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My 12-yr-old nephew knows more about suiting than those guys.

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
There are some items I find really hard to find a good fit/look good on me...

They are as followed:
1. Sports coats (fit is never spot on)
2. Laced boots with Slim/Skinny Jeans ( such as New Cures )
3. Henleys

I've never had a henley fit well either, which disappoints me, cuz I think they're pretty cool looking...

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
^true, but I think APK's point was that the breast pockets are rather high to be comfortable with your arms bent that much, especially if you are bundled up with a sweater. I'd be curious to see if using the lower pockets is comfortable. Without an insulated lining, I'm wondering of four pockets lets too much heat escape on a cold winter day.

to add to this

my sterlingwear has fleece lined pockets somewhere between those two just like any other peacoat. These do a pretty good job keeping my hands warm, and they're also pretty high as it is. I think you'll end up looking chicken winged walking around with your hands in those top warmer pockets. I do like the way the collar splays and the spacing on the buttons though. My one complaint about my sterlingwear authentic is that it has a wide and long button spacing that could be bad for certain body types.

Also, the naval issue peacoats are 32oz 100% melton. you can reference the 'spec' coat from sterlingwear which is an authentic made out of their thicker, denser, wool with stronger stitching. I don't know how much stronger the stitching is, but i can't imagine i could ever wear a coat that thick, i sweat it up if i layer too much in my 24oz 80/20 blend authentic. just thought i'd leave that bit of info here.

I dressed like a uniqlo lumberjack today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads