Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Saw this piece on Gilt Groupe. Didn't realize that it wasn't actually profitable yet. Article is from a news ticker so I cannot post a link.

Gilt Groupe may be profitable before 2014: CEO
    6:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time Jul 01, 2011
    * Gilt losing money now on new business spending

* CEO aims to reach profitability quicker than Amazon did

* Ryan sees shakeout in flash-sales sector

(Adds details on possible sector shakeout)

By Alistair Barr

SAN FRANCISCO, July 1 (Reuters) - Gilt Groupe will likely be profitable before 2014 as new businesses being launched by the online flash-sales company mature, according to founder and chief executive Kevin Ryan.

Gilt is currently losing money because the company is spending to start so many new ventures, including a full-price men's apparel website called Park & Bond, Ryan told Reuters this week.

However, Ryan said he's "highly confident" Gilt will be profitable.

Amazon.com Inc <AMZN.O>, the world's largest Internet retailer, took roughly six years to start making money, Ryan noted.

"We will get there in less time," Ryan said.

Ryan, former CEO of online advertising giant DoubleClick, founded Gilt in November 2007. His prediction suggests Gilt could become profitable before November 2013.

Flash-sales websites offer steeply discounted products and services for a limited time. The model has caught on quickly in the retail industry -- especially the luxury apparel sector where Gilt currently leads.

Gilt hired 56 employees last month and now has about 750 staff members. Ryan has said in the past that gross revenue for the company's fiscal year ending June 30 would be about $500 million.

Gilt is in no rush to do an initial public offering, partly because the company raised $138 million in venture capital backing in May, giving them a valuation of $1 billion.

"We've not had a single meeting about an IPO," Ryan told Reuters. "We will go public at some point, probably one to three years from now."

SHAKEOUT

Gilt has many rivals, including Rue LaLa, HauteLook, owned by Nordstrom Inc <JWN.N>, and MyHabit, started by Amazon.com.

"There are lots of flash-sales sites out there now," Ryan said. "You're going to see a shakeout."

Ryan has experienced this in the past. At DoubleClick in 1997, there were 37 competitors, but four years later 90 percent were gone, he said.

Gilt plans to tackle this problem by expanding into many different categories. The company started a travel flash-sales website called Jetsetter about a year and a half ago. This part of the business is generating $80 million to $90 million of annual revenue, Ryan said.

Gilt also is offering discounts on restaurants, home furnishings, food, and kids' clothes, he noted.

Some flash-sales customers are now bombarded with emails from Gilt and its many competitors each morning. If they start cutting back on these emails, Ryan hopes they will stick with the company that offers the widest range of items.

"When they make this decision, I want them to just choose Gilt," Ryan said.

2. Lane

Lane Senior member

The charm of ugliness (in design) is underrated round these parts.

[​IMG]

3. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I'm in no cop mode for any "fashion" clothing, but I'm gonna buy a Stephan Schneider knit
    Guess it counts if I wear it to work

lol

4. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

I don't think the structure of the forum lends itself to 'the charm of ugliness'. If some guy asks for HALP FIRST TIME HERE STYLE ADVICE PLEASE no way I'm gonna recommend Wallies, old school Cox creepers, paisley scarves, etc. even though I like them.

And of course most of the clothes we buy are going to look unbearably ugly in a couple years, why try to speed up the process?

5. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

do BW x Campers count as charmingly ugly?

those pants are so cool tween. built in pant roll[​IMG]

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Saw this piece on Gilt Groupe. Didn't realize that it wasn't actually profitable yet. Article is from a news ticker so I cannot post a link.

In a sense, it's really not surprising that they haven't been profitable all this time. Back when they were actually selling discounted surplus, their margins couldn't have been much at all. Add to that all the referrals they forked over (even if just credited as part of their marketing/advertising budget) and it's even tighter.

But they've definitely changed since they started out. I got onto Gilt for the first time in months and was surprised to see it more of a discount store than the "limited time, limited stock" approach, especially since brands started making stock specifically for them.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to yet another outlet retail experience.

8. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

what is it? like the material on the sleeves. ribbing is great too.

I'm not actually sure, it was in Tommy Ton's street style. I saw another picture later though and it turns out it has patent leather shoulders [​IMG]

Tween, saw those too, they're sick

9. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

I cant fucking stand Blackbirds posts about Rick Owens on their blog. Its like they discovered it for the first time even though he's been around for years. The asskissing and snobbery in the posts about Rick make me want to vomit.

10. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Just checked out all the Givenchy offerings on Mr. Porter. Not a brand that was really on my radar, but I want all of it. Crucifix sweater is dope.

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...light=sneakers

:|

Yuuuup. I remember the first time I went through that thread, the fact that everything is sz1 / 44 saved my wallet pretty hard. It's a pretty good garment archive in and of itself, particularly for Dior Homme stuff.

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

Some good shit in there, geometric blazer is off the hinges.

13. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Yeah that and the damascene one. Some really insane stuff.

14. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

Can someone explain this shit to me?
    In what? The microwave?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.