• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats the whole point. no love for DB tho. not ugly enough

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. They look really solid, so I guess the look and how they handle meet up, which is great. I was looking at the King Tubby's and the Spectator Boots in particular, boots more so than the Tubby's. Any sizing referenced from you guys? I am a 41 in CP (sneakers and shoes), 7 UK in Grenson, 7.5 UK 5 fitting Tricker's, 8D Alden Barry, 8.5 Alden Trubalance. I was thinking a 7UK in Mr. Hare to be safe since they do like they taper like crazy like you mention Briza.

Well, I had these ones and they fit about +one size long, but were a bit narrow. From my understanding, the King Tubby should be a bit narrow as well, but may not be quite as long. Hope that helps a bit.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo
I agree with BrizaBirch; everything from Mr. Hare that I've handled has been really great. I had a pair that had amazing quality, and looked beautiful as well. If they're your style, I'd definitely recommend getting some. Salmon skin Zukie's would be pretty awesome, I think.

EDIT: I've been looking like crazy for white shirts that are slightly longer, with slightly longer sleeves, that are still relatively slim (i.e. ones that fit me) and it is absolutely impossible. I'm guessing I may need to get some MTM or something.
ffffuuuu.gif

try naked and famous.. im 6'4 and they are long enough for me, tad bit too short to tuck and keep a good hold, but doable

thatguymj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
thats the whole point. no love for DB tho. not ugly enough

Wallys are so fugly that I bought them back in like 1995 when Wu and Raekwon were talking about them and I still have yet to wear them outside of my house.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Just got back from palm springs, 115 during the day and 103 at night
ffffuuuu.gif
Styled on everyone in uniqlo v, long ass plaid comme golf shorts, grey socks and white court shoes most of the time. This milf who was talking to my buddy with her husband said "omg look at his outfit he looks so cute!" when I came out to get a cig from him
plain.gif

rat2rat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
thinking about buying clarks to hold me over for the rest of the summer :/ getting sick of wearing my vans 24/7

also, nyc shopping trip on the way back to baltimore in August? yesssss. now I just need to save some money to actually buy something with. going to kop some uniqlo basics, hopefully some footwear, and an eg fw outerwear piece.

Clarks db will always be a good entry level boot. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with clarks dbs other than the fact that they are overplayed.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What're the alternatives? I'm lookin' to class up the whole DB shtick.

****, I'm drunk

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reedobandito
mWtWN.jpg

Probably the nicest varsity I've ever seen.

what is it? like the material on the sleeves. ribbing is great too.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Calebb
Fashion is not limited to dressing and better hair cut but it is beyond the limits like these.. Tattoos and jewelry for men is becoming more famous now a days.
^^^word. I love famous jewelry.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in no cop mode for any "fashion" clothing, but I'm gonna buy a Stephan Schneider knit
Guess it counts if I wear it to work

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this piece on Gilt Groupe. Didn't realize that it wasn't actually profitable yet. Article is from a news ticker so I cannot post a link.

Gilt Groupe may be profitable before 2014: CEO
6:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time Jul 01, 2011
* Gilt losing money now on new business spending

* CEO aims to reach profitability quicker than Amazon did

* Ryan sees shakeout in flash-sales sector

(Adds details on possible sector shakeout)

By Alistair Barr

SAN FRANCISCO, July 1 (Reuters) - Gilt Groupe will likely be profitable before 2014 as new businesses being launched by the online flash-sales company mature, according to founder and chief executive Kevin Ryan.

Gilt is currently losing money because the company is spending to start so many new ventures, including a full-price men's apparel website called Park & Bond, Ryan told Reuters this week.

However, Ryan said he's "highly confident" Gilt will be profitable.

Amazon.com Inc <AMZN.O>, the world's largest Internet retailer, took roughly six years to start making money, Ryan noted.

"We will get there in less time," Ryan said.

Ryan, former CEO of online advertising giant DoubleClick, founded Gilt in November 2007. His prediction suggests Gilt could become profitable before November 2013.

Flash-sales websites offer steeply discounted products and services for a limited time. The model has caught on quickly in the retail industry -- especially the luxury apparel sector where Gilt currently leads.

Gilt hired 56 employees last month and now has about 750 staff members. Ryan has said in the past that gross revenue for the company's fiscal year ending June 30 would be about $500 million.

Gilt is in no rush to do an initial public offering, partly because the company raised $138 million in venture capital backing in May, giving them a valuation of $1 billion.

"We've not had a single meeting about an IPO," Ryan told Reuters. "We will go public at some point, probably one to three years from now."

SHAKEOUT

Gilt has many rivals, including Rue LaLa, HauteLook, owned by Nordstrom Inc <JWN.N>, and MyHabit, started by Amazon.com.

"There are lots of flash-sales sites out there now," Ryan said. "You're going to see a shakeout."

Ryan has experienced this in the past. At DoubleClick in 1997, there were 37 competitors, but four years later 90 percent were gone, he said.

Gilt plans to tackle this problem by expanding into many different categories. The company started a travel flash-sales website called Jetsetter about a year and a half ago. This part of the business is generating $80 million to $90 million of annual revenue, Ryan said.

Gilt also is offering discounts on restaurants, home furnishings, food, and kids' clothes, he noted.

Some flash-sales customers are now bombarded with emails from Gilt and its many competitors each morning. If they start cutting back on these emails, Ryan hopes they will stick with the company that offers the widest range of items.

"When they make this decision, I want them to just choose Gilt," Ryan said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads