Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

I refuse to pay via gift payment, or to receive gift payments for non-gifts. The former makes you vulnerable, the second is in direct violation of Paypal policies, and can get your account frozen. For an average of about 3.5% savings, which is the terms the credit cards give to small retailers, you are risking a lot, either way. imo, totally not worth it. Same goes with people not insisting on insurance and tracking. It's false economy.

Thanks for responding, Fok.

I usually try not to pay via gift payment unless I've dealt with the person previously, but like I said in this case I really wanted that particular item. I also paid extra for Express shipping to me so I could track the package but the seller apparently forgot and sent it via Priority. Pretty convenient, if you ask me. But he did promptly refund the extra I paid for Express (But to refund that $30-40 is nothing if he was scamming me of $400ish)

Do you think I can get my credit card company to get the money back? Although I used a debit it should still work the same? This is all really new to me.

2. ice86x

ice86x Senior member

Especially if you're from the states. USPS prices are so cheap, no wonder they're in the red in a business perspective

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Also, unless things have changed, Barneys still doesn't have their factor after losing it a while ago. This means that there is absolutely no guarantee that a vendor is going to get paid. .
    Barney's still doesn't pay people and the industry knows that. I'm just trying to figure out if from a business side companies are willing to take that hit just to be in a big door and get brand recognition for it, like paid advertisement. It just seems like a repeating and advertised issue and yet... It's just my impression, but it feels like '09 brought one of the best/worst sales seasons because of the economy, '10 brought conservative sales because of "under" buying collections to prevent '09 losses, and now in '11 the sales are back again because the economy still sucks.

4. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

That's fucked up, how can you just not pay people and get away with it? I guess people are too scared to enforce it because they don't want to get kicked out of Barney's?

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Barney's still doesn't pay people and the industry knows that. I'm just trying to figure out if from a business side companies are willing to take that hit just to be in a big door and get brand recognition for it, like paid advertisement. It just seems like a repeating and advertised issue and yet...

It's just my impression, but it feels like '09 brought one of the best/worst sales seasons because of the economy, '10 brought conservative sales because of "under" buying collections to prevent '09 losses, and now in '11 the sales are back again because the economy still sucks.

Yes and no. Business decisions seem to be based on over-optimism, and the fashion sector does not seem immune - very much to the contrary. Barneys *does* pay people - the vendors with good sell through and large vendors first. Designers seem to be always banking on that. Also, don't discount that some people are just plain thick.

I think that FW08 was the craziest season, no?

6. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

can anyone shed some light on ordering from Layers London?
    hows shipping to can/usa? what about customs?
    thinking of just using a proxy but if they mark shit low then ill order myself..
    thanks

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I look like a malnourished gay guy more often than I'd like from candids.

This is pretty much how I look all of the time.

Also re: undershirts, I think the best option to wear under a button up/down is a sleeveless v-neck (which usually means ripping the sleeves off of a v-neck). You don't get the bra effect of a tank, you don't show any fabric if you unbutton the top button, and you don't have a line halfway down your bicep where the t-shirt ends.

FWIW, I wear solid-color ribbed tanks on a regular basis, but pretty much just to the gym.

8. Razele

Razele Senior member

I follow trends in retail behavior fairly closely, and things definitely haven't gotten back anywhere near pre-recession rates. Buying patterns remain relatively conservative.
    I highly doubt it will return to pre-recession levels for the next decade or so, especially with sovereign debt risk

9. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Shipping with tracking, from Canada at least, is egregiously expensive. Nobody wants to pay that much to ship a package.

It goes both ways, shipping without a tracking number is an easy way to get frauded by a buyer I've seen it done before.

It's actually in their FAQ, and I was also suspicious the first time I ordered. However, I phoned the UPS, and the agent told me that it is legitimate. In certain cases, the courier, not the vendor, may ask for your tax information, for reporting to the IRS, for imported goods.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming FedEx or UPS will be calling me sometime soon to get that information from what I gather LVR wasn't looking for that information so much as giving me a heads up and authorizing that call. Still unnerving wish they would come up with a better system.

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Made the rookie mistake of forgetting the name of my new stylist, interim homie ruined the masterwork of my head.

11. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

Man, fuck Air Canada. Two hour delay and I'm stuck in Toronto overnight.

should have hit me up! I am close to the airport woot

12. whodini

That's fucked up, how can you just not pay people and get away with it? I guess people are too scared to enforce it because they don't want to get kicked out of Barney's?
    There's no enforcement because that's how the system is set up. I have clothes and I'll send them to you to sell; depending on how good or bad they sell (or more importantly, how good or bad your sales are in general) determines how soon or how likely I am to see the full amount back. Like Fok explained, you're either too small and just decide to eat shit just so you can keep selling at that shop or not have to fight, or you go through other pain-in-the-ass means of getting back your dollar. The past few years have broken labels and shops this way.

Yes and no. Business decisions seem to be based on over-optimism, and the fashion sector does not seem immune - very much to the contrary. Barneys *does* pay people - the vendors with good sell through and large vendors first. Designers seem to be always banking on that. Also, don't discount that some people are just plain thick.

I think that FW08 was the craziest season, no?

They "pay" depending on who you ask, but like you said before, they don't pay the whole amount. I've heard a couple of brands that are still owed for seasons past. And I'd love to know what kind of deal with the devil they have with NiCo and Rag & Bone, though.

And yeah, I think you're right about 08. That's when I was in NYC before xmas and they had crazy "sample" sales. That's also when the big websites were putting things on sale and stacking coupons on top, basically becoming cheaper than cost.

So far, I haven't seen things to that point this year but I've noticed some shops are feeling more generous than they were last season.

13. robin

robin Senior member

And I'd love to know what kind of deal with the devil they have with NiCo and Rag & Bone, though.
    srlsy.

14. whodini

BOAT SHOES ARE BACK MUTHAFUCKAZ!!!

Never thought I'd live to see the SF day that we'd again have more than one thread on the main page.

Next stop: Desert boots.

15. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

ASOS is a bit different in that their margins seem to be consistently higher than everyone else but factor in free global shipping.

"Free global shipping" attracted me to Asos, but then i realised they don't take off VAT at the checkout, so that's probably what's paying for it. Sounds illegal to me, but who's gonna do shit.

Barney's still doesn't pay people and the industry knows that.

Man i really hate this. My girlfriend's dad runs a business and he was trying to educate his nephew on some of the old business values etc only to hear things like "wouldn't you say you're old fashioned and outdated in these beliefs?"

I'm not exactly old but it seems that there are so many companies these days whose sole aim is to rip off their partners. Whatever happened to "always leave a little salt on the bread" etc etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.