Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwkicks

jwkicks Senior member

Carl Goldberg at CEGO says box pleats are pretty much useless. I was surprised to hear that. Do you guys find that to be the case?
    Yeah, I just spent way too much time (5 minutes) investigating. It might be that the box pleat is useless (unless its closed like BOO?), and maybe only darts help make it slim.

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Carl Goldberg at CEGO says box pleats are pretty much useless. I was surprised to hear that. Do you guys find that to be the case?
    In what sense? If they are just there for decoration (as in, the fabric is cut large to compensate for the pleat), then I guess so. A box pleat is pretty much the same thing as pinching away an inch or more of fabric and then stitching along it to make it permanent, the result is that the excess is removed from the measurement total. No different from any other pleat except that it can't really be curved so it's more like overall slimming rather than creating shape

3. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i have a shirt with an inner box pleat but its stitched so there is no point to it really. if i was to un-stitch the pleat i could see its use. would help for ppl with broad shoulders imo.
    should i take the stitching out, is it like a pair of trousers with the back pockets stitched shut?

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Seems like a box pleat would be functional to me, hence my surprise. He says it's more decorative. He was talking about this in the context of a custom shirt, by the way. Maybe the idea is that the box pleat is useless because you don't need overall slimming on a custom shirt"”it should just be cut to fit to begin with"”while shoulder darts can provide some shape. But now I'm just guessing what he was thinking. Incidentally, his comment comes from this Put This On video: http://putthison.com/post/6824514250...e-thorn-visits

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i have a shirt with an inner box pleat but its stitched so there is no point to it really. if i was to un-stitch the pleat i could see its use. would help for ppl with broad shoulders imo. should i take the stitching out, is it like a pair of trousers with the back pockets stitched shut?
    are your shoulders too broad for the shirt ? if yes, remove stitch. if no, then why ? lesson #2 for snow
    [​IMG]

6. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

yeah, a bit broad for the shirt. its the scarf shirt. im finding all my kva shirts too small.
    i just bought some drkshdw poplin aircuts and they fit but i find them to have a low rise. DAMN YOU DAMIR DOMA AND YOUR DRAPEYNESS, now everything is so uncomfortable!![​IMG]

i will def try to do that scarf wrap bc i have the same scarf in a diff colourway (grey/blk)...i think i have a fit pic, but the rest of my garb looks off. [​IMG]

7. the shah

found two articles on DD i posted for you in the runway threak. where did you get that braided scarf ?

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i bought it at oki ni a while ago. 1.5 years or so.. surely youve seen a fit pic or two?? edit: heres an oldie but goldie (glasses shot inside) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. the shah

i think i have. i just didn't know where you got it. i hope oki-ni picks up dd again i need to burn some credit there and nothing that i like so far ......

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

same, why havent they!! was the lncc thing a amicable split up? all i know is that the oki ni model opened up lncc and took lucy with him[​IMG]

11. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

I can't stand the combination of smaller box pleats and darts on a shirt. That seems to me like two opposing functions battling one another on the same item. I find that this usually leads to an unflattering hunch back effect.

12. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I've never seen a shirt with both; if I did I would assume it were altered after purchase. And box pleats, IME anyway, do what they are intended to do nicely.

13. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

I've never seen a shirt with both; if I did I would assume it were altered after purchase. And box pleats, IME anyway, do what they are intended to do nicely.

They're out there and they aren't pretty. Preferences I guess, but specifically on heavier cloth like oxford cloth, I prefer shirts that are cut slim without them. Thom Browne for instance does a good job of this. I much prefer shoulder pleats if I had to choose.

14. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

boo does this, no? personally I dont find it offensive but to each his own.

15. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

boo does this, no? personally I dont find it offensive but to each his own.

They do the full sewn pleat top to bottom, but I think they are more for decoration than anything else. I was referring to the smaller box pleat that is only runs down a few inches below the top seam ala Gitman. One of the reasons I am hesitant to dart my Gitman. If I were to dart them it would be to remove the billowing, but with that semi box pleat, I would still get it, but only in the upper back which is counterproductive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.