Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Minot, ND. It has been raptured. Had some stuff in storage. Oh well. I still have my house unlike a large number of people, most of whom do not have flood insurance.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Jet Gitman buttons are fucking whack as shit on the white oxford. They're an awful, weird yellow plastic shit, otherwise pretty good. PM me I got a bunch of spare, awesome thick MoP buttons from MJK if you want to switch them out.

Thom Browne oxford is great, man, especially the one with the light blue grosgrain placket. Take off the tag and get that shortened, best white oxford ever

4. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I wish Lanvin menswear wasn't SO expensive here in Japan
    Saw a blazer I wanted for $2600... on sale

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

get the iphone, especially if you use a Mac. it changed my life (0) and feels like i live a decade ahead. I have 3 iphones, a MBP, a MB, a mac mini, an iPad, and ipod touch. most get used frequently and make me moneyz/fun times

6. Razele

Razele Senior member

get the iphone, especially if you use a Mac. it changed my life (0) and feels like i live a decade ahead. I have 3 iphones, a MBP, a MB, a mac mini, an iPad, and ipod touch. most get used frequently and make me moneyz/fun times
    Yeah I have an MBP and an iPhone 4, that's all I need, would never really need a PC, laptop and iPhone is more then enough.

7. jwkicks

jwkicks Senior member

I think I will just do gitman since I don't like the hem of epaulet plus lack of button down collar. I'll need to get some supa pearly ass thick buttons (not borrelli thick) and swap them out. Sorry to hear about the flood [​IMG] (btw where was this?)

Gitman can billow out on you in the back since there aren't any darts or pleat down the back, especially noticeable if you're in between sizes and end up going up. The one thing (other than the buttons) I wish they'd change.

8. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I thought they all had box pleats?

9. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

don't forget about Baron Wells for a white oxford

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i really like my wings and horns oxford. not sure if the design changed since it moved to japan. the made in canada ones are the ones im talking about.

i think snake wear his dub H every now and then in some fit pics.

11. jwkicks

jwkicks Senior member

I thought they all had box pleats?
    Well yeah, they do have a box pleat, but I didn't mention because its worthless, doesn't run very far at all, unlike the BOO that runs all the way down the back of the shirt.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I forgot about gitman, still haven't tried on an M to see how it fits and looks. I don't like the plastic buttons, going to take a look at epaulet as someone kindly pointed me too I know Mike does good stuff. I'm going to wear untucked so the hemline needs to be on point.

Why is STF so cheap? I do like finamore but not sure if the neck/chest are in correct ratio for me based on the specs.

Shop the finest has been around forever (before Styleforum existed,) and Ian has relationships with the best LA boutiques (he used to get tons of stuff from Scott&Co., back in the day, I think). I imagine that he gets dibs on overstock on deadstock. Very solid guy. Finamore shirts are a terrific choice, if you are looking for an elegant, Italianate look. I personally like Barba and Attolini shirts, both of which have spectacular collars.

I like to see us talking about brands beyond the good domestic ones. There are tons, tons, tons, of great brands out of Italy, especially in the more formal side of things, that we just never hear about.

And of course, there are brands like Roberto Collina, which makes terrific knitwear (and, AFAIK, contracts with tons of fashion brands) and Golden Goose, which takes "Americana" and brings it real freshness. There is a lot of emphasis in the current discussions on Japanese interpretations, and I like brands like Nepenthes, N. Hoolywood, Junya Watanabe, etc... And we also talk about the UK brands, though usually, frankly, about those either heavily Japan-popular (Nigel Cabourn,) or available domestically (Universal Works, etc...) But Italian seem to have been neglected for a while.

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Well yeah, they do have a box pleat, but I didn't mention because its worthless, doesn't run very far at all, unlike the BOO that runs all the way down the back of the shirt.

Carl Goldberg at CEGO says box pleats are pretty much useless. I was surprised to hear that. Do you guys find that to be the case?

14. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I neglect Italian brands b/c (1) I still have a hangover from crap men's stores full of "Georgio Brutini" etc. type brands that are (a) Italian in fake name only and (b) often not designed or made in Italy, and when made-in-Italy not made well; and (2) nearly all the Italian brands on that level do some things well but do at least a few things that are hideous and stereotype reinforcing (and Golden Goose is no exception).

Where are we supposed to shop for these secret, great Italian brands? Yoox, where quality is impossible to discern and cut/design nearly so? Give us some places to look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.