• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
every tried walking on wet tile/pavement with crepe though? bad experiences in my clarks db days...

Originally Posted by jet
yes, no problems except on ice

Originally Posted by shahanshah
the problem was specific to the footwear. i love to splish splash with crepe soles and going downhill becomes a breeze when there's snow on the ground.

everything ok with the recent double-quake ?

+1 clarks db's being ****

Had this problem all the time with mine and my PH chukkas are awesome at not slipping.

Those trickers last page are dope, I sorta want some dark grey suede ones with a crepe wedge sole
inlove.gif

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
Yeah there's no copyright protection, only trademark protection. Pretty sure they eventually settled out of court. While I think it's a good thing that such protection doesn't exist, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth when I see one designer blatantly copying another.

Is the LV shoe a case of blatant copying while the myriad of Converse/GAT derivatives are not?

In general, physical items that have practical utility do not have copyright protection. This is why stuff like clothing and furniture can be copied with little fear of legal issues, but the same is not true for a painting.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
+1 clarks db's being ****

Had this problem all the time with mine and my PH chukkas are awesome at not slipping.

Those trickers last page are dope, I sorta want some dark grey suede ones with a crepe wedge sole
inlove.gif

Dark grey suede would be baller as ****, though would like the white vibram sole more

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Is the LV shoe a case of blatant copying while the myriad of Converse/GAT derivatives are not?

They all are, to varying degrees. MMM gats are "replicas" of the originals (even stamped right on the shoe itself). With the case of the lv sneakers, they essentially lifted the "N" and replaced it with their own logo passing it as their own. I believe theres a difference between taking inspiration from a design and making a direct copy off someone elses.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
..and hopefully the designers should feel ashamed of themselves. cough*DANIELE ALESSANDRINI cough*
laugh.gif

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the greatest pleasures in life: a new pair of uni-qlo socks, and when california love comes on at a club

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, nothing beats a fresh pair of socks straight outta the package!

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
What the **** shah??? Spam bot?? **** man I thought you loved me
frown.gif

NZ is really nice. If people want to visit Australia / NZ I would say this:

Brisbane for lifestyle (Warm in summer, can go to Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast for surfing / swimming / amazing islands

Sydney for food (Has all our best restaurants but pretty ugly city IMO, would stay 2-3 days Thurs - Sat and pack a few places in)

NZ / Tasmania for rediculously beautiful landscapes, Tasmania also has a really good wine / spirits industry (lots of single malts IIRC) and its pretty cheap to stay down there

My cousin moved to Perth for a year to pick apples. Then he went and studied in NZ but just took trips to Cambodia ... Few weeks ago met this dude from Vanuatu, that was definitely a first.

You're not really a bot, love, I just said that because earlier spam bots were reporting humans and I got really suspicious of everyone
patch[1].gif

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Yeah there's no copyright protection, only trademark protection.
In the US, correct. Trade Dress, an item of clothing so distinctly a part of one brand's image that the casual person on the street would assume it was that brand, is possible but not probably. Patterns, an actual repeating pattern like plaid not the cloth cutting pattern, have been found to be protected sometimes. I believe the Burberry nova check was able to claim protection.

They all are, to varying degrees. MMM gats are "replicas" of the originals (even stamped right on the shoe itself)... I believe theres a difference between taking inspiration from a design and making a direct copy off someone elses.
Re: GATS - The GAT design might once have been up for protection but at this point is likely public domain. I assume its provenance is actually the German Army so they would need to claim their IP rights in Europe first. Couldn't tell you about Converse but I'm guessing that shoe design had been around for a while.

Re: Inspiration and Copy - in the US there is no distinction. You can steal clothing designs to your heart's desire as long as you don't cause brand confusion like Trade Dress.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Response from Gilt to my inquiry as to whether they pin the clothes the models wear for product photo shoots:

Thank you for contacting Gilt.

Often times clothing is altered in such a way as to fall on the models the way the photographers like. Unfortunately, this happens in all catalogue photos, and we really have no way of telling how or how much an item is altered for a photo. We apologize if this causes any inconvenience as you purchase items from Gilt Groupe, but we will certainly pass along this feedback to our creative team and hope that photographed clothing will be as true to reality as possible!

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact Gilt Groupe Customer Support by replying to this email.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PC is so god damn boring.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just skimmed through an article called trousers and trainers. models were paired with yohji pants and new balances or nike airmax i think (it just said nike)

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
just skimmed through an article called trousers and trainers. models were paired with yohji pants and new balances or nike airmax i think (it just said nike)

This reminds me that I saw a really cool woman today on the way to work. some layered black tees or knits or something on top, all green camo cargo pants (no brown in it) rolled up to just above her ankles, and solid brown NBs. Looked so good although I don't think she was trying to be fashionable.. she was kind of old and crazy.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it me or is SF working slooooower these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads