Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chunkmo

chunkmo Well-Known Member

How does that work... I thought any designs the fashion industry are free reign. Arent CP Achillies almost a direct rip of Adidas Rod Laver Vintage, Visvim/Converse, MMM GATS/original GATS etc?

Yeah, i'd have to say some of the appeal is to do with the NB logo. If it had LV, Diesel etc it'd get a bad wrap cause theres negative connotations with those brands already. They already scream dad-sneakers to me so removal of the NB logo probably wouldnt improve them any

2. snake

snake Senior member

Yeah there's no copyright protection, only trademark protection. Pretty sure they eventually settled out of court. While I think it's a good thing that such protection doesn't exist, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth when I see one designer blatantly copying another.

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

Every Aussie I've spoken to even says, go to NZ nice vacation. I don't know about Raz but I still have reservations as to whether he's a spam bot. But how can I visit if it's like that ??
    What the fuck shah??? Spam bot?? Fuck man I thought you loved me [​IMG] NZ is really nice. If people want to visit Australia / NZ I would say this: Brisbane for lifestyle (Warm in summer, can go to Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast for surfing / swimming / amazing islands Sydney for food (Has all our best restaurants but pretty ugly city IMO, would stay 2-3 days Thurs - Sat and pack a few places in) NZ / Tasmania for rediculously beautiful landscapes, Tasmania also has a really good wine / spirits industry (lots of single malts IIRC) and its pretty cheap to stay down there

4. Razele

Razele Senior member

every tried walking on wet tile/pavement with crepe though? bad experiences in my clarks db days...

yes, no problems except on ice

the problem was specific to the footwear. i love to splish splash with crepe soles and going downhill becomes a breeze when there's snow on the ground.

everything ok with the recent double-quake ?

+1 clarks db's being shit

Had this problem all the time with mine and my PH chukkas are awesome at not slipping.

Those trickers last page are dope, I sorta want some dark grey suede ones with a crepe wedge sole [​IMG]

5. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Yeah there's no copyright protection, only trademark protection. Pretty sure they eventually settled out of court. While I think it's a good thing that such protection doesn't exist, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth when I see one designer blatantly copying another.

Is the LV shoe a case of blatant copying while the myriad of Converse/GAT derivatives are not?

In general, physical items that have practical utility do not have copyright protection. This is why stuff like clothing and furniture can be copied with little fear of legal issues, but the same is not true for a painting.

6. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

+1 clarks db's being shit

Had this problem all the time with mine and my PH chukkas are awesome at not slipping.

Those trickers last page are dope, I sorta want some dark grey suede ones with a crepe wedge sole [​IMG]

Dark grey suede would be baller as shit, though would like the white vibram sole more

7. snake

snake Senior member

Is the LV shoe a case of blatant copying while the myriad of Converse/GAT derivatives are not?

They all are, to varying degrees. MMM gats are "replicas" of the originals (even stamped right on the shoe itself). With the case of the lv sneakers, they essentially lifted the "N" and replaced it with their own logo passing it as their own. I believe theres a difference between taking inspiration from a design and making a direct copy off someone elses.

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

..and hopefully the designers should feel ashamed of themselves. cough*DANIELE ALESSANDRINI cough*[​IMG]

9. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

the greatest pleasures in life: a new pair of uni-qlo socks, and when california love comes on at a club

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

yeah, nothing beats a fresh pair of socks straight outta the package!

11. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

What the fuck shah??? Spam bot?? Fuck man I thought you loved me [​IMG]

NZ is really nice. If people want to visit Australia / NZ I would say this:

Brisbane for lifestyle (Warm in summer, can go to Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast for surfing / swimming / amazing islands

Sydney for food (Has all our best restaurants but pretty ugly city IMO, would stay 2-3 days Thurs - Sat and pack a few places in)

NZ / Tasmania for rediculously beautiful landscapes, Tasmania also has a really good wine / spirits industry (lots of single malts IIRC) and its pretty cheap to stay down there

My cousin moved to Perth for a year to pick apples. Then he went and studied in NZ but just took trips to Cambodia ... Few weeks ago met this dude from Vanuatu, that was definitely a first.

You're not really a bot, love, I just said that because earlier spam bots were reporting humans and I got really suspicious of everyone [​IMG]

12. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Yeah there's no copyright protection, only trademark protection.
    In the US, correct. Trade Dress, an item of clothing so distinctly a part of one brand's image that the casual person on the street would assume it was that brand, is possible but not probably. Patterns, an actual repeating pattern like plaid not the cloth cutting pattern, have been found to be protected sometimes. I believe the Burberry nova check was able to claim protection.

They all are, to varying degrees. MMM gats are "replicas" of the originals (even stamped right on the shoe itself)... I believe theres a difference between taking inspiration from a design and making a direct copy off someone elses.
    Re: GATS - The GAT design might once have been up for protection but at this point is likely public domain. I assume its provenance is actually the German Army so they would need to claim their IP rights in Europe first. Couldn't tell you about Converse but I'm guessing that shoe design had been around for a while.

Re: Inspiration and Copy - in the US there is no distinction. You can steal clothing designs to your heart's desire as long as you don't cause brand confusion like Trade Dress.

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Response from Gilt to my inquiry as to whether they pin the clothes the models wear for product photo shoots:

15. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

PC is so god damn boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.