1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Distinguished Member

[​IMG] I'm starting to like the other ones though.
    In the other ones the lines all flow together and present a sleek shape with a great design element in the creeper sole that seems totally intuitive in retrospect. The lines of these things just don't all go together. It's like those woven denim t-shirts from s/s 11; Prada can call it high fashion because they never see it on 40 year old fat women with fried hair and the entire White Zombie discography on cassette waiting at the dentist's office. I fuckin do so I don't want to see it regurgitated in fashion. Same goes with those ugly ass monk straps. edit: by 'these things' I mean the ones I requoted, not the brogue creepers, those are aces in my book although I prefer the espadrille sole. double edit because booze makes me talky: god fucking dammit the Magnificent Bastard (a basically onanistic 'style blog') just recommended a pair of 350 dollar Prada sneakers to wear with surgical scrubs. Fuckin A. Jesus.

2. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Distinguished Member

lol'd at rockport blacklabel. re makeshift you sound like a much more accomplished vocalist than me. I've only been singing about five or six years and mostly just crooning indie folk shit at open mic nights. [​IMG] started singing more classical stuff this year, it's been a weird but fun transition. my poor dog is going ape shit. there's this massive fucking toad that stares and taunts her through the window and she wants to murder the fuck out of it. problem is it's one of those poison secreting fuckers. I just chased it around with a golf club and it hopped into a drain pipe. [​IMG] I'm going to beat that thing senseless the next time she barks when it comes out.

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Please don't tell me Prada is taking out color from the soles of the men's version again. That's just uncool.

4. S-Town

S-Town Senior Member

Has anyone heard "Castles in the Snow" by Twin Shadow? I can't stop listening. Just picked the album up last night. The whole thing is awesome, but this song really stands out.

5. toothsomesound

great song, great album

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Distinguished Member

You should listen to the Sacred Animals cover of that song.

7. toothsomesound

yo hit me up about nyc broheim

8. SPK

SPK Senior Member

^sf meet up in nyc?

9. S-Town

S-Town Senior Member

You should listen to the Sacred Animals cover of that song.

Just did. Very solid cover!

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG] look like some Stacy Adams bullshit, perfect for every douchebag on earth to wear to a club with a stripey shirt and a bottle of gel on their head. I was genuinely 100% surprised when I right clicked that image and saw that they were really Prada.

11. aeglus

aeglus Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I was genuinely 100% surprised when I right clicked that image and saw that they were really Prada.
    I wasn't [​IMG] this is amazing, someone buy it: [​IMG]

12. Kvc06

Kvc06 Distinguished Member

Since there was so much talk about these in various threads, thought I would put up some official pictures... [​IMG] [​IMG] .
    Glad I got the ones I did while I could.. Something seems to be "missing" or uninteresting about these, can't put a finger on it.

13. robin

robin Stylish Dinosaur

can someone explain wtf this is? and how the fuck it works?

is this a baller knit/designer bib? lol

Obv you pull it over your head to layer. There might be a couple of different inspirations behind this - a sailor dickie maybe (think old naval uniforms) or a cowl. There was also some snuggy like shit sold some years ago called a necky, but I doubt that's where the designer got the idea from.

14. driveslowk

driveslowk Distinguished Member

The creepers you have are the least interesting of this season already, kvc

15. g transistor

g transistor Distinguished Member

Hard to pass some sort of subjective judgment on Frank Ocean without knowing more about the way his songs get made. It's not like Autotune effaces vocal timbre or accent or anything, you know? He has a neat singing voice. And ARW's right, it is way harder than people think and the learning and performance process is different from any other instrument. I'm not going to listen to it cause it's super boring to me but w/e. Coming from a person who has had songs recorded, has sung the Barber Reincarnations and Agnus Dei with some Vocal Performance postgrads in concert, has written fairly complex pieces for voice, etc. Nothing professional though, mainly poser bullshit.

As long as we're talking about music I think Janelle Monae's styling is great. Tuxes for everyone please!

Also I don't know what's going on but I keep looking at different All Saints stuff and really liking it. Even a lot of the prewashed denim and shit. Lots of pretty colors on their knits especially, and a few nice patterns that aren't just stripes and plaids.

Knowing how complicated something was to produce doesn't really impress me. I mean, someone can put in a ton of work that takes a lot of skill to do, but if the ultimate product isn't good, then I don't see how that should affect the overall opinion besides "oh that's neat." I'm okay with auto tune if it's used tastefully, Justin Vernon does a lot of great auto tuning and Sufjan does a bit too. Not sure if any of this applies to Frank Ocean though, I haven't listened to much of his stuff.

And Janelle Monae is fucking awesome, all around. Great singer, great style, and most of all, amazing hair. She has done some singing with the Emory orchestra here that was also very cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.