• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
lol is this another comment from a non-vocalist about how we should judge singers?

This implies that only people who sing can properly assess the capabilities of a singer. Sort of like when pro athletes pull the "he's never played the game" card against columnists and fans.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Lewis Baltz exhibition at the NGA in DC is awesome and a must-see for all you sfers who flirt with dark minimalism.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there was so much talk about these in various threads, thought I would put up some official pictures...
prada_mens_accessories_2011_fall_winter_1302300611.jpg
prada_mens_accessories_2011_fall_winter_1302300611_0.jpg
Thought these were quite interesting as well...
prada_mens_accessories_2011_fall_winter_1302300614_0.jpg
Wonder if Prada is already taking pre-orders for these things? Oh and Prada, if you rerelease the studded wingtips, I'd be very happy.

afc345

Reaction score
Saw a copy of Esquire's Handbook in Style at a store today and I died a little inside.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
This implies that only people who sing can properly assess the capabilities of a singer. Sort of like when pro athletes pull the "he's never played the game" card against columnists and fans.
you're right, I know it's bullshit, I'm in a particularly aggressive mood today for whatever reason. [glad you called me out on it, same dumb argument gets made in waywt when people who don't dress well offer critiques and are told to pipe down cause it's not valid, it's a logical fallacy] at the same time, it's very easy for people who don't sing and have never been a studio to have these opinions. singing is a lot more complicated that people think it is. recording and post-production are fairly complex to but not in the way an instrument is, particularly an instrument as elusive and counterintuitive as the human voice...just to give you an example, with a guitar, a piano, a horn, you've got buttons, frets, keys to press, fingerings to memorize, mechanisms to blow air through or push down with your fingers that can be learned by observing, seeing, there is a connection between the muscle memory and visual learning. The voice is utterly alien in that way. There are no buttons. There is no way to look at a vocal scale being "played". It all happens inside your head, you tell yourself do this and hopefully it happens. The psychological factors that already figure in to playing an instrument are magnified ten fold when the instrument is part of your own body. I could keep rambling about this but instead I'm gonna eat indian food and get wasted on this orange juice saketini i just made lol

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once knew a dorky guy who was wearing something similar under his shirts in winter, maybe he was just avant-garde after all ...
confused.gif

And with regard to your previous post, yes you should totally buy it.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to pass some sort of subjective judgment on Frank Ocean without knowing more about the way his songs get made. It's not like Autotune effaces vocal timbre or accent or anything, you know? He has a neat singing voice. And ARW's right, it is way harder than people think and the learning and performance process is different from any other instrument. I'm not going to listen to it cause it's super boring to me but w/e. Coming from a person who has had songs recorded, has sung the Barber Reincarnations and Agnus Dei with some Vocal Performance postgrads in concert, has written fairly complex pieces for voice, etc. Nothing professional though, mainly poser bullshit.

As long as we're talking about music I think Janelle Monae's styling is great. Tuxes for everyone please!

Also I don't know what's going on but I keep looking at different All Saints stuff and really liking it. Even a lot of the prewashed denim and ****. Lots of pretty colors on their knits especially, and a few nice patterns that aren't just stripes and plaids.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston86dit
Thought these were quite interesting as well...
prada_mens_accessories_2011_fall_winter_1302300614_0.jpg

******* disgusting. Rockport Black Label or some ****.

Originally Posted by afc345
Saw a copy of Esquire's Handbook in Style at a store today and I died a little inside.

The 'Big Black Book'? Not a good place to look for style advice but it is really well written and charming and well put together. At least the one I have, which is Spring 2010 I think.

Goombi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
******* disgusting. Rockport Black Label or some ****.

rotflmao.gif
I'm starting to like the other ones though.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Rockports actually cheapen the two other pairs by association.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goombi
rotflmao.gif
I'm starting to like the other ones though.

In the other ones the lines all flow together and present a sleek shape with a great design element in the creeper sole that seems totally intuitive in retrospect. The lines of these things just don't all go together. It's like those woven denim t-shirts from s/s 11; Prada can call it high fashion because they never see it on 40 year old fat women with fried hair and the entire White Zombie discography on cassette waiting at the dentist's office. I fuckin do so I don't want to see it regurgitated in fashion. Same goes with those ugly ass monk straps. edit: by 'these things' I mean the ones I requoted, not the brogue creepers, those are aces in my book although I prefer the espadrille sole. double edit because booze makes me talky: god ******* dammit the Magnificent Bastard (a basically onanistic 'style blog') just recommended a pair of 350 dollar Prada sneakers to wear with surgical scrubs. Fuckin A. Jesus.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol'd at rockport blacklabel. re makeshift you sound like a much more accomplished vocalist than me. I've only been singing about five or six years and mostly just crooning indie folk **** at open mic nights.
lol8[1].gif
started singing more classical stuff this year, it's been a weird but fun transition. my poor dog is going ape ****. there's this massive ******* toad that stares and taunts her through the window and she wants to murder the **** out of it. problem is it's one of those poison secreting F***ers. I just chased it around with a golf club and it hopped into a drain pipe.
ffffuuuu.gif
I'm going to beat that thing senseless the next time she barks when it comes out.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Please don't tell me Prada is taking out color from the soles of the men's version again. That's just uncool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads