Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet

jet Persian Bro

What the fuck is wrong with green frog.

2. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

There is a difference between adjustment and sounding like a robot and being called a great vocalist

lol is this another comment from a non-vocalist about how we should judge singers? I see this so often, people just love to hate on auto-tune. I understand there is an over-saturation and it can annoy me too at times but it's really just stupid/ignorant when people want to discredit an artist simply for using auto-tune.

3. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

lol is this another comment from a non-vocalist about how we should judge singers? I see this so often, people just love to hate on auto-tune. I understand there is an over-saturation and it can annoy me too at times but it's really just stupid/ignorant when people want to discredit an artist simply for using auto-tune.

melodyne all the way

4. APK

APK Senior member

lol is this another comment from a non-vocalist about how we should judge singers?

This implies that only people who sing can properly assess the capabilities of a singer. Sort of like when pro athletes pull the "he's never played the game" card against columnists and fans.

5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

the Lewis Baltz exhibition at the NGA in DC is awesome and a must-see for all you sfers who flirt with dark minimalism.

6. winston86dit

winston86dit Senior member

Since there was so much talk about these in various threads, thought I would put up some official pictures... [​IMG] [​IMG] Thought these were quite interesting as well... [​IMG] Wonder if Prada is already taking pre-orders for these things? Oh and Prada, if you rerelease the studded wingtips, I'd be very happy.

7. afc345

afc345 Senior member

Saw a copy of Esquire's Handbook in Style at a store today and I died a little inside.

8. toothsomesound

This implies that only people who sing can properly assess the capabilities of a singer. Sort of like when pro athletes pull the "he's never played the game" card against columnists and fans.
    you're right, I know it's bullshit, I'm in a particularly aggressive mood today for whatever reason. [glad you called me out on it, same dumb argument gets made in waywt when people who don't dress well offer critiques and are told to pipe down cause it's not valid, it's a logical fallacy] at the same time, it's very easy for people who don't sing and have never been a studio to have these opinions. singing is a lot more complicated that people think it is. recording and post-production are fairly complex to but not in the way an instrument is, particularly an instrument as elusive and counterintuitive as the human voice...just to give you an example, with a guitar, a piano, a horn, you've got buttons, frets, keys to press, fingerings to memorize, mechanisms to blow air through or push down with your fingers that can be learned by observing, seeing, there is a connection between the muscle memory and visual learning. The voice is utterly alien in that way. There are no buttons. There is no way to look at a vocal scale being "played". It all happens inside your head, you tell yourself do this and hopefully it happens. The psychological factors that already figure in to playing an instrument are magnified ten fold when the instrument is part of your own body. I could keep rambling about this but instead I'm gonna eat indian food and get wasted on this orange juice saketini i just made lol

9. toothsomesound

woo drunk shopping! someone talk me down!

10. toothsomesound

[​IMG] can someone explain wtf this is? and how the fuck it works? is this a baller knit/designer bib? lol

11. sipang

sipang Senior member

I once knew a dorky guy who was wearing something similar under his shirts in winter, maybe he was just avant-garde after all ... [​IMG]

And with regard to your previous post, yes you should totally buy it.

12. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Hard to pass some sort of subjective judgment on Frank Ocean without knowing more about the way his songs get made. It's not like Autotune effaces vocal timbre or accent or anything, you know? He has a neat singing voice. And ARW's right, it is way harder than people think and the learning and performance process is different from any other instrument. I'm not going to listen to it cause it's super boring to me but w/e. Coming from a person who has had songs recorded, has sung the Barber Reincarnations and Agnus Dei with some Vocal Performance postgrads in concert, has written fairly complex pieces for voice, etc. Nothing professional though, mainly poser bullshit.

As long as we're talking about music I think Janelle Monae's styling is great. Tuxes for everyone please!

Also I don't know what's going on but I keep looking at different All Saints stuff and really liking it. Even a lot of the prewashed denim and shit. Lots of pretty colors on their knits especially, and a few nice patterns that aren't just stripes and plaids.

13. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Thought these were quite interesting as well...
    [​IMG]

Fucking disgusting. Rockport Black Label or some shit.

Saw a copy of Esquire's Handbook in Style at a store today and I died a little inside.

The 'Big Black Book'? Not a good place to look for style advice but it is really well written and charming and well put together. At least the one I have, which is Spring 2010 I think.

14. Goombi

Goombi Senior member

Fucking disgusting. Rockport Black Label or some shit.

[​IMG] I'm starting to like the other ones though.

15. sipang

sipang Senior member

Those Rockports actually cheapen the two other pairs by association.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.