Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Well when your profession is aligned with your interests it just mends together I guess... also i'd rather not be perceived in a negative light due to what i'm wearing outside of work, it could hurt your chances of promotions, etc...

So you work with morons?

2. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

CS- What is the great event in your life that led you to wear blank tees, slim dark jeans, and white sneakers? I think you're treating clothing and personality a bit too uptight and worrying way too much. I don't think many people here are compromising their livelyhoods just to wear a drapey knit and tucked in boots.
    I really don't worry too much, I am a pretty worry free guy, this is just sort of how I think about things in general... and in terms of a blank tee, slim dark jeans, and white sneakers, those pieces lack individuality / associations so they are safe for everyone

3. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Funny; I know exactly how you feel. I have a very good job and work in the city, but as a pseudo ski bum I have a whole group of friends who live the mountain life. Hell, they probably don't even know what I do for a living or what I look like when I'm not in XL Oakley.

I will never forget when a couple of my ski buddies came into town for a show, and I met up with them for dinner directly after a board meeting -- I was wearing a custom suit/shirt, borrelli tie, zegna oxfords and glasses. Barely even recognized me...

4. constant struggle

I guess i'm along the lines of the uniform guy... ala Get Smart is Get Smart is Get Smart whether in a format, casual, business casual, etc setting...
    also i am not this anal about clothing

i do like to have some 'fun' once in a while with what im wearing..

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I guess i'm along the lines of the uniform guy... ala Get Smart is Get Smart is Get Smart whether in a format, casual, business casual, etc setting

Why can't socal be socal whether he's in drapey pants, hitops and rick owens leather or in his bright blue tim hamilton pants and raf sandals or more refined and put together jil sander suit? I'm still the same person in skinny rolled up chinos, a colorful shirt and cardigan and when i'm wearing skinny jeans and a leather jacket or more slacks, dress shoes and button ups i'd wear teaching (sometimes i'd rock the boat while teaching just for fun and the kids were great)

6. constant struggle

Eh this is all a tangent from my original posting of how there are the two camps, #1 clothing should represent you... and #2 some people feel represent who they are not, but that is just because they are having fun with fashion, and that is OKAY too, but it isn't what does it for me...

both ways are okay, neither is right... just two different ways of thinking

something I always found funny when I used to post waywts on sufu, the fits I liked the least for myself/experimented more with got much more rep than the fits i liked on myself much more...

I guess I'm okay with being boring

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Not sure that I'm making a useful point about being the same in different kinds of clothing, but here are 3 outfits I've worn in the past week that to me are vastly different but were all worn in a non-professional setting that went over well:

1. Polo by Corneliani 2b nailhead suit in a light brown, nordstrom cream wool vest, burberry tie, talbott pocket square, brown AE moras
    2. B.Son navy / cream cardigan, long white kind of drapey knit v neck tee, tailored CvsF jeans, Generic man black caviar (patent snakeskin) sporstmans
    3. Nice Collective bomber jacket, MJKxSF waffle knit hoodie, RRL chambray, brown cords (pretty worn in), Alden vintage indys, wool fingerless gloves, beat up filson 256

Thinking about context, first one is sort of office appropriate but I wouldn't have worn the vest, too dandyish. The other two obviously aren't. I could wear 2 and 3 in a ski community context and not look or feel out of place. I could've worn any of them in law school. I mean I definitely wear stuff for the environment I am going to be in, but none of them feel costume-y or not reflective of "me", whatever that means.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I think the one constant regardless of the scenario is that my "uniform" (which I agree with Whodini that I don't feel I have one tho I get it if it seems that way and I have no problem with that perception) is consistent with my life outside of "clothes", in that you can ascertain what I'm into in other parts of my life based on my clothing aesthetic and it all relates together. You could find me any given day any given time and you can probably make some correct assumptions about the music I listen to, the car I might drive, the furniture I own, the books I read, the movies I am into, places I like to visit, etc. Not that it's a good or bad thing, but everything in my little part of the world all relates back to one another and influences each other.

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

^that's the way it should be, in my opinion. Otherwise, how are we to feel comfortable in our clothes? To me, this is the big factor in whether or not what one wears is a 'costume'. I just think it's strange for someone to wear clothes that have nothing to do with the rest of their life.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

So you work with morons?

I argue with them on message boards.

11. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

we are all snowflakes

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

we are all snowflakes

Some snowflakes are more beautiful than others?

13. robin

robin Senior member

Some snowflakes are more beautiful than others?
    [​IMG]

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

^that's the way it should be, in my opinion. Otherwise, how are we to feel comfortable in our clothes? To me, this is the big factor in whether or not what one wears is a 'costume'. I just think it's strange for someone to wear clothes that have nothing to do with the rest of their life.

I kind of like when people have surprising characteristics, though. I doubt most people could tell from looking at me that I'm really into toys and other "childish" stuff and don't drink or smoke. I've met people who have a completely different life than how I would ascertain from their clothes, but it doesn't mean that they're wearing a costume; simply that the stereotypes I'd associated with that look were incorrect.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Some good discussion the last few pages!

Chrono, please drop the notion that I am the very image of conservative vintage workwear. Didnt my happy sockl sock parade yesterday falsify that?

Re: ugly old shit not made to look good. As Shore said, thats the point with some of the stuff I wear. I find it refreshing to wear stuff which only incicdentaly looks good (imo) which also can be said about duffels, pea coats, rw´s etc, as opposed to some H&M jacket where you really can tell a designer at one point went "well, another seam and a zipper here here will definitly make it pop!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.