• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Well when your profession is aligned with your interests it just mends together I guess... also i'd rather not be perceived in a negative light due to what i'm wearing outside of work, it could hurt your chances of promotions, etc...

So you work with morons?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
CS- What is the great event in your life that led you to wear blank tees, slim dark jeans, and white sneakers? I think you're treating clothing and personality a bit too uptight and worrying way too much. I don't think many people here are compromising their livelyhoods just to wear a drapey knit and tucked in boots.
I really don't worry too much, I am a pretty worry free guy, this is just sort of how I think about things in general... and in terms of a blank tee, slim dark jeans, and white sneakers, those pieces lack individuality / associations so they are safe for everyone

drop

Reaction score
And yet if I met up with a bunch of people I know in the ski industry who haven't seriously worn a suit in their lives and don't know how to tie a 4 in hand knot, and I was wearing a conservative suit and tie, bright white shirt, and tramezzas that would be just as weird and I would feel pretty out of place.
Funny; I know exactly how you feel. I have a very good job and work in the city, but as a pseudo ski bum I have a whole group of friends who live the mountain life. Hell, they probably don't even know what I do for a living or what I look like when I'm not in XL Oakley.

I will never forget when a couple of my ski buddies came into town for a show, and I met up with them for dinner directly after a board meeting -- I was wearing a custom suit/shirt, borrelli tie, zegna oxfords and glasses. Barely even recognized me...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess i'm along the lines of the uniform guy... ala Get Smart is Get Smart is Get Smart whether in a format, casual, business casual, etc setting...
also i am not this anal about clothing

i do like to have some 'fun' once in a while with what im wearing..

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I guess i'm along the lines of the uniform guy... ala Get Smart is Get Smart is Get Smart whether in a format, casual, business casual, etc setting

Why can't socal be socal whether he's in drapey pants, hitops and rick owens leather or in his bright blue tim hamilton pants and raf sandals or more refined and put together jil sander suit? I'm still the same person in skinny rolled up chinos, a colorful shirt and cardigan and when i'm wearing skinny jeans and a leather jacket or more slacks, dress shoes and button ups i'd wear teaching (sometimes i'd rock the boat while teaching just for fun and the kids were great)

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh this is all a tangent from my original posting of how there are the two camps, #1 clothing should represent you... and #2 some people feel represent who they are not, but that is just because they are having fun with fashion, and that is OKAY too, but it isn't what does it for me...

both ways are okay, neither is right... just two different ways of thinking

something I always found funny when I used to post waywts on sufu, the fits I liked the least for myself/experimented more with got much more rep than the fits i liked on myself much more...

I guess I'm okay with being boring

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Not sure that I'm making a useful point about being the same in different kinds of clothing, but here are 3 outfits I've worn in the past week that to me are vastly different but were all worn in a non-professional setting that went over well:

1. Polo by Corneliani 2b nailhead suit in a light brown, nordstrom cream wool vest, burberry tie, talbott pocket square, brown AE moras
2. B.Son navy / cream cardigan, long white kind of drapey knit v neck tee, tailored CvsF jeans, Generic man black caviar (patent snakeskin) sporstmans
3. Nice Collective bomber jacket, MJKxSF waffle knit hoodie, RRL chambray, brown cords (pretty worn in), Alden vintage indys, wool fingerless gloves, beat up filson 256

Thinking about context, first one is sort of office appropriate but I wouldn't have worn the vest, too dandyish. The other two obviously aren't. I could wear 2 and 3 in a ski community context and not look or feel out of place. I could've worn any of them in law school. I mean I definitely wear stuff for the environment I am going to be in, but none of them feel costume-y or not reflective of "me", whatever that means.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think the one constant regardless of the scenario is that my "uniform" (which I agree with Whodini that I don't feel I have one tho I get it if it seems that way and I have no problem with that perception) is consistent with my life outside of "clothes", in that you can ascertain what I'm into in other parts of my life based on my clothing aesthetic and it all relates together. You could find me any given day any given time and you can probably make some correct assumptions about the music I listen to, the car I might drive, the furniture I own, the books I read, the movies I am into, places I like to visit, etc. Not that it's a good or bad thing, but everything in my little part of the world all relates back to one another and influences each other.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^that's the way it should be, in my opinion. Otherwise, how are we to feel comfortable in our clothes? To me, this is the big factor in whether or not what one wears is a 'costume'. I just think it's strange for someone to wear clothes that have nothing to do with the rest of their life.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
So you work with morons?

I argue with them on message boards.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
we are all snowflakes

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Some snowflakes are more beautiful than others?
24339153.jpg

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
^that's the way it should be, in my opinion. Otherwise, how are we to feel comfortable in our clothes? To me, this is the big factor in whether or not what one wears is a 'costume'. I just think it's strange for someone to wear clothes that have nothing to do with the rest of their life.

I kind of like when people have surprising characteristics, though. I doubt most people could tell from looking at me that I'm really into toys and other "childish" stuff and don't drink or smoke. I've met people who have a completely different life than how I would ascertain from their clothes, but it doesn't mean that they're wearing a costume; simply that the stereotypes I'd associated with that look were incorrect.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good discussion the last few pages!

Chrono, please drop the notion that I am the very image of conservative vintage workwear. Didnt my happy sockl sock parade yesterday falsify that?

Re: ugly old **** not made to look good. As Shore said, thats the point with some of the stuff I wear. I find it refreshing to wear stuff which only incicdentaly looks good (imo) which also can be said about duffels, pea coats, rw´s etc, as opposed to some H&M jacket where you really can tell a designer at one point went "well, another seam and a zipper here here will definitly make it pop!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads