Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I dunno, MMM sort of bridges the gap between people interested in designer stuff generally and people who still feel the pull of vintage, since M made a splash with repro garments way back in the 80s (right?). I own virtually no "designer" clothing, and I have a pair of non-MMM GATs (actually, for sale) and wouldn't be against getting a MMM pair.

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

i have owned original GATs and the MMM versions, and while the MMM is nicer it's not $300 nicer. skip em.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

MMM is a cool brand but i just don't get the recent hype for the stuff like v-neck sweaters and button downs. the material isn't anything special (standard italian designer fare) and the design is the same as something you'd see at the gap... what are you paying for? to me, if you're gonna pay a lot of money for something it should either be: an interesting design or fantastic material (or both!), and so much of MMM is neither.

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

this preoccupation with getting laid is rather infantile. Why don't you actually give real advice and tell him to meet a nice girl that he can have a relationship with? He already mentioned talking to a girl he liked, which should be the actual girl he pursues.

Why on earth would he need a relationship? This is horrible advice.

What he needs to do is meet, greet, and skeet.

5. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

drmmr, so far as I know there is no one major raf guru here but a bunch of people who have pockets of knowledge. what are you looking for? If you are just trying to get in contact with someone who has an encyclopedic raf knowledge go to sufu.

edit: or try contacting the ln-cc guy. there may also be some dudes on sz though I think a lot of the big raf supports who were floating around there have gone quiet in recent years..

Thanks [​IMG] I don't frequent sufu and sz too much but I'll try my luck there.

6. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

eh, depends what you mean by fantastic material. I think a lot of MMM fabrics are awesome, though you're right that it's not like a Jil where fabrics are superlative across the board. also you are particularly miserly when it comes to seeing designer stuff as "worth it". some of their designs are actually pretty interesting and subtle. definitely not gap. anyway if people are willing to pay for it...

edit: also not sure I've seen hype for v neck sweaters? but that is a wardrobe niche (basic sweaters?) that can be filled in a number of ways (plain simple "classic" maybe with some subtle design twists or more fashion-forward), MMM is one nice option, what's wrong with that? I don't own any MMM v necks but if I found one on the cheap I'd probably snag. Same goes for Dries, Jil etc

7. toothsomesound

btw drmmr I have the sister knit (I have dubbed "robotron" raf) to your 07/08 runway knit.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

eh, depends what you mean by fantastic material. I think a lot of MMM fabrics are awesome, though you're right that it's not like a Jil where fabrics are superlative across the board. also you are particularly miserly when it comes to seeing designer stuff as "worth it". some of their designs are actually pretty interesting and subtle. definitely not gap. anyway if people are willing to pay for it...

edit: also not sure I've seen hype for v neck sweaters? but that is a wardrobe niche (basic sweaters?) that can be filled in a number of ways (plain simple "classic" maybe with some subtle design twists or more fashion-forward), MMM is one nice option, what's wrong with that? I don't own any MMM v necks but if I found one on the cheap I'd probably snag. Same goes for Dries, Jil etc

im talking about the mmm stuff you see at barney's co-op.. it's just standard italian fare for a ton of money. MMM makes a lot of cool shit (nice boots, interesting blazers/sweaters that are vintage reproductions), but they also make a lot of "filler".

9. toothsomesound

you're right that prices are very high but that's just how it is, I don't think there are really any convincing arguments for the pricing of any brand beyond "people are willing to pay for it" even after the whole explanation of brand overhead song and dance etc. a lot of the big labels make kinda filler, it's part of the business model. although arguably mmm is a "lifestyle" brand that feels the need to pump out really basic shit as well as "key pieces" every season.

10. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

do any of you guys in Asian countries (or anywhere) know where I can get a knockoff Christopher Kane shirt or two?

I had this idea in my head for an alternative springtime look of wearing my black nylon bomber with some kind of very thin white shirt and my black techy junya cropped pants with white pierre hardy hi's, but I feel like those space shirts would bring that shit to the next level and there is no way i'm dropping $300

I checked ioffer but no luck

11. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Why on earth would he need a relationship? This is horrible advice.

What he needs to do is meet, greet, and skeet.

pump and jump

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

true, but I fail to see how going straight to the hook up/one night stand route is gonna help..I mean wtf how is he even suppose to approach that if hes inexperienced? He should just make friends with girls, and then take it from there.

No.

Go out, get drunk and pull some drunk girl.

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

im talking about the mmm stuff you see at barney's co-op.. it's just standard italian fare for a ton of money. MMM makes a lot of cool shit (nice boots, interesting blazers/sweaters that are vintage reproductions), but they also make a lot of "filler".
    And what brands don't do this? Someone make a What Are You Cooking Today thread that doesn't involve me going to other subfora

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Missed my 3s this morning by like an hour. I'm seriously going to hire someone to just watch my packages. smh

15. Lane

Lane Senior member

No. Go out, get drunk and pull some drunk girl.
    I already suggested that he drink more, good stuff happens to me when I do it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.