1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

2. the shah

the shah Senior member

was actually nearby, but the more ghetto adjacent town. there is a large somali population, so much so that the word refugee is a bit inaccurate -- they are quite established round these parts. I must say, in comparison to the Ethiopian places I've tried it was far superior, the shining light of Africa's horn if you will.

What did not make sense was the massive portions, I at 2.5 meals from one single order (unlike you I don't eat to the point of bodily harm) and all the ingredients, while properly cooked, were still distinguishable. The lentil soup on the house was a nice touch, a creamy delicious puree of warmed spices and sweet something or other in it.

It seems that once in a first world country, the rather small-framed east Africans quickly tend to overeating in excessive abundance (yes, the double emphatic nature of that statement was intended). I had never imagined a country plagued by such strife and drought and famine could produce 2nd generation spawns so willing to counteract what their compatriots suffered by simply enacting the complete opposite here. I actually felt guilty while eating. Interestingly, first generation African immigrants, while dressing indistinguishable from their American counterparts, usually want nothing to do with the blacks -- but as soon as you hit second generation, it becomes a case of 'where is Africa?'

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. DLester

DLester Senior member

I love good Ethiopian food. It is surprisingly easy to get in Seattle, who woulda thunk it.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

aldens are less bulbous than you think.

5. miran

miran Senior member

Brother, they are humungous! I have a pair of Alden 403s...I can use them to do weight training! So heavy, they are unwearable.

6. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

7. miran

miran Senior member

I wouldn't lump Somalis with "blacks", shahanshah. Black in America (I am not American, but my take at least) is a different beast altogether than Somalis...who are a unique ethnic group, Muslims, keep themselves to themselves, their own language, closer racially to Arabs than other "black africans"....

This woman lived in Holland until recently....she is the loudest voice about Somalia here, and she is on the crusade to defame Somali culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali

you should check out some of her stuff--I don't know what to believe, and what is just propaganda...

8. the shah

the shah Senior member

I have a glass milk bottle, I am tempted to use it as decoration. Should I make a miniature replical vessel, perhaps a miniature replica Queen Ann's Revenge to place inside ?
    [​IMG]

or one of those post-modernist decorations faux-intellectuals enjoy, made of coffee beans and a green stalk ?

9. the shah

the shah Senior member

note I said 2nd generation -- as in born and raised here, reluctant to stay within the confines of their ethnic culture.

Ayaan-Hirsi is an interesting character, she was shown to have defrauded the Dutch government by making up wild tales about some abusive past with death threats whereas she just wanted to escape an arranged marriage. Her father refused to speak to her until he lay on his death bed, and she was removed from her post in the parliament there. Now she is on a self-hating crusade in the US/UK/Netherlands to make her point about 1.5 billion people being slaves of a message of horrible violence lurking in the shadows waiting for the opportunity to consume all of humanity. yes, I know a bit about her :foo:

10. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

make the world's tiniest pair of drop crotch pants, and put them on the world's tiniest bear figurine.

5 people like this.
  11. the shah

the shah Senior member

this, my dear tween, is the single most useful and relevant advice I've received on this site to date. oustanding A+++

12. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

Yea, maybe chunky is a better word? Something signifying less sleek, I can't think of it right now. I don't mean this as a bad thing, just is a consideration when wearing them. I think asobu/zissou/etc have worn chunky boots well (Redwing GTs to be exact)

Is Never Let Me Go worth a read if Im a busy dude with not much time to read? or should I look for something better to spend my time?

13. miran

miran Senior member

well, she does know how to stir shit up in the Tweede Kamer, Shahahshah....and there is no shortage of people to help her and cheer her on...but that's just stupid Dutch politics....and it doesn't necessarily discredit her in the point she keeps making about Somali and Muslim culture generally...this is what I am not sure whether to believe or dismiss as propaganda...

Iman is also Somali, but too busy fucking David Bowie to give a shit about Somalia...

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I sort of like Roger Ebert's take on Bret Easton Ellis...that is, while Ellis might be a good, or even a great, writer, death's shadow forces us to to hastily refigure our priorities. For Ebert, this meant not touching Ellis as long as one "slim volume" of Saul Bellow remains. In this spirit, I'd say give Ishiguro a pass if you haven't yet gotten around to this or this.

15. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

It's not a bad novel by any means, but I agree with noobizor: if you're short on time, then there are better things to spend that time on.

16. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Anyone have experience with Alfred Sargent? I've been lusting over these:

[​IMG]

17. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I personally really enjoyed it. The dystopic elements of the novel were really subtle, and it was more heartbreaking than oppressive

18. Goombi

Goombi Senior member

19. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Yea, I have two pairs from their country line. Very solid and good quality + last. Those look great.

20. jet

jet Senior member

FL, the picture is somewhat deceptive as you can't tell how squared off the toe is. I tried on a dress shoe with the same last and was not diggin it hence my reason for going with vass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.