• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** i realized i sold all my white sneakers and now i have none. guess that must be a sign i should cop
devil.gif

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by filcol
Please don't get me wrong. Ofc there is a difference and ofc it's noticable. But, for example, there are a lot of really nice fitting khakis out there, dead cheap. You really can't tell the difference in appearance betweem those and, let's say, some RLPL. The quality is better and it's also harder to find good cheap trousers than good expensice trousers. If you now compare it to outwear or shoes, you'll see that the difference here betweem cheapo and high end is really big (while there are still some very good cheap shoes). That's what I wanted to say. Btw, forgive me for my english, not my native language.
Yes, there are more reasonably well cut chinos/khakis/pants available these days... but the quality of the materials makes a big difference. I find that even when cheap gap or ON pants will feel fine to the touch when you grab them off the rack they still feel like **** when you wear them. They don't sit right and for lack of a better way to describe it... they 'stick' to you more. I tried on some cheap ON slim pants a week or two ago and while they were roughly as slim as my UNIS or W+H they stuck to my legs more and just weren't as comfortable and easy to move in. Also, I'd add that, you really don't (well, for me personally) need to go cheap on pants. You don't need quite as many as you need with shirts... you can easily get buy with just a handful. I'm of the opinion its better to with, for example- 1 pair from unis than 3 dockers waders or the like

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
I love how kitonbrioni gets people's bile up in the no discussion WAYWT.

Speaking of which, why does that thread still exist?

why does he even post? and posting in any waywt thread with no pics is marsupialed. whats the point?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis

Also, I'd add that, you really don't (well, for me personally) need to go cheap on pants. You don't need quite as many as you need with shirts... you can easily get buy with just a handful. I'm of the opinion its better to with, for example- 1 pair from unis than 3 dockers waders or the like

yeah, you could get away with just two pairs of really nice pants - mid gray and navy probably.

I have more nice pants than shirts though. Love my flannels, linens, tweeds, seersucker etc. I also like having a few different cuts

Doctor Quack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
I love how kitonbrioni gets people's bile up in the no discussion WAYWT. Speaking of which, why does that thread still exist?
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
why does he even post? and posting in any waywt thread with no pics is marsupialed. whats the point?
I was going to mention the blog, but I see hendrix beat me to it. People should just learn to use the ignore function if they find his posts irritating. As for the No Discussion WAYWT, I know the historical reason for its creation, but it really doesn't live up to the imagined ideal. Between the posters who seem to lack the basic understanding of the words "no discussion" and the relative inconsistency of posts appearing in that thread as opposed to the regular WAYWT, it sort of loses its appeal as something to page through for ideas without the extraneous text. ETA: I suppose I could be overstating the inconsistency part (some people are very consistent and others aren't), but the discussion thing really gets to me; perhaps it just needs to be more prominent. In giant neon letters with a big warning sign about perma-bans for violators.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
This is not true for me. I did the whole cheap tee thing and the results usually weren't good. Pilling, considerable shrinkage and overall bad cuts were the norm. And this happened even though I babied them. I tried Gap, Old Navy, H&M, Uniqlo and some others. I had a couple of H&M tees that weren't bad, but the sizing is really inconsistent.

What I like about some of the more expensive is the better cuts. There are a number of those brands that keep the fit relatively slim, but elongate the torso. That's great for someone like me, who'd get a tee that fit well in the body, but was no good after a wash because the length had shrunk so much.

Also, I think it depends on how prominent the tees will be in your wardrobe. If you're mostly wearing button-downs, knits and stuff like that, then you can probably cheap out on the tees. But for someone who predominantly wears tees as their top of choice, it makes sense to shell out a bit more for them.

i have some expensive tshirts. if anyone knows about expensive tshirts i would hope it's me. they will all go to **** over time regardless of how good they were at the beginning. only question is how much time you will get out of it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't mean to suggest that the more expensive ones were indestructible; they're clothes, after all. They just seem to weather the storm a bit longer before showing undesirable signs of wear compared to their cheaper counterparts.

Plus the fabric comparison is just so lopsided in these cases most of the time.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I didn't mean to suggest that the more expensive ones were indestructible; they're clothes, after all. They just seem to weather the storm a bit longer before showing undesirable signs of wear compared to their cheaper counterparts. Plus the fabric comparison is just so lopsided in these cases most of the time.
i gotta shrug my shoulders again. i don't keep logs of how i use stuff but even my nicest tshirts have pilling from my backpack straps. i usually buy based off design - if the graphic is good i will cop. otherwise the cheap tshirt brands will do. i actually got respect for supreme, their tshirts hold up very well in all regards and cost $28 or something like that. their higher end shirts, like the long sleeves or the cut/sew army tees are very well made and cost between $60 and $100. bass & co on the even lower end actually makes very good plain tshirts that i buy from the outlet for $5.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quite the collection. looks like youve got diff shades, at least you arent overlapping.
thumbs-up.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads