Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmash

dmash Senior member

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

As much as I enjoy the laughs, can we just close the waywt no discussion thread? It's useless and I rather see the trainwrecks get posted in the normal thread so they can either get help or provide entertainment.

it's good as a resource when you just wanna see some fits over the last few months. Yourself, synthese, mellowfellow, tonio, berlin report etc seem to post in it so it's pretty useful

4. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

Still waiting on CvsF results.

He should just settle that. I know the contest was devised before the quality issues became apparent, which probably led to like three people going through with the contest. But when you promise a specific prize for the winner, you have to come through. Otherwise, you look unprofessional. If it's a situation where he's no longer able to or interested in pursuing what the prize entailed, at least give some sort of compensation to the winner.

maybe he settled with the winner behind closed doors. i know there were a "few" that were participating that werent on SF. either that or it just died but those who were involved should just email him

5. filcol

filcol Senior member

You just need to spend money on outerwear, knits and shoes. Everything else can be cheap basics.

I want to come back to this discussion.
    For me it's like you can divide all in clothes in 4 categories.

1: outwear and shoes - here it's really worthwhile spending a lot of money
    2: jeans and knitwear - you could get cheap alternatives here, but it's better to get some quality pieces
    3: shirts, pants - the difference between fancy designer stuff and uniqlo clothes is quiet small here, while the price is not
    4: tees - you can go dead cheap here because you'll have to replace these things anyway.. also a good cut is not related to high prices, only to your body. So just find some cheap tees that fit you well

Of course there are some clothes missing such as underwear, suits etc.. but I wanted to talk about the main parts of street and casual wear.

just my 2 cents.

6. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

3: shirts, pants - the difference between fancy designer stuff and uniqlo clothes is quiet small here, while the price is not

I don't really think this is true.

7. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

I want to come back to this discussion.
    For me it's like you can divide all in clothes in 4 categories.

1: outwear and shoes - here it's really worthwhile spending a lot of money
    2: jeans and knitwear - you could get cheap alternatives here, but it's better to get some quality pieces
    4: tees - you can go dead cheap here because you'll have to replace these things anyway.. also a good cut is not related to high prices, only to your body. So just find some cheap tees that fit you well

Of course there are some clothes missing such as underwear, suits etc.. but I wanted to talk about the main parts of street and casual wear.

just my 2 cents.

While I understand what you're trying to get at and can appreciate going cheaper/basic in aspects of a wardrobe since I do it myself, I bolded something I felt was just not true. In all honestly, there is a huge difference between uniqlo and higher end in this area, pants especially.

8. APK

APK Senior member

maybe he settled with the winner behind closed doors. i know there were a "few" that were participating that werent on SF. either that or it just died but those who were involved should just email him

If that's the case, then cool. The erstwhile Connor can chime in on whether that happened if he feels so inclined.

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I don't really think this is true.

+1.

although i've never tried uniqlo stuff.

10. filcol

filcol Senior member

Please don't get me wrong.
    Ofc there is a difference and ofc it's noticable.
    But, for example, there are a lot of really nice fitting khakis out there, dead cheap.
    You really can't tell the difference in appearance betweem those and, let's say, some RLPL.
    The quality is better and it's also harder to find good cheap trousers than good expensice trousers.
    If you now compare it to outwear or shoes, you'll see that the difference here betweem cheapo and high end is really big (while there are still some very good cheap shoes).
    That's what I wanted to say.

Btw, forgive me for my english, not my native language.

11. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I'd say this is true for everything, save footwear and leather. It all depends on the buyer and what they find valuable.

12. filcol

filcol Senior member

Yeah, but I'm sure you are more happy buying AA Tees instead of some Jil 150$+ Tees, than buying 30$ discounter jeans instead of some nice APC raw denim.

13. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

(i) 70% of the time people will be seeing me in shirts (inside during FW, inside + outside during SS).
    (ii) nice shirts really wear their quality on their sleeves (no pun intended)
    (iii) brand new $200-$350 shirts (depending on the brand) can often be had for $20-60-ish if you pay attention to sales.
    so, +1 on not going cheap on shirts

14. APK

APK Senior member

This is not true for me. I did the whole cheap tee thing and the results usually weren't good. Pilling, considerable shrinkage and overall bad cuts were the norm. And this happened even though I babied them. I tried Gap, Old Navy, H&M, Uniqlo and some others. I had a couple of H&M tees that weren't bad, but the sizing is really inconsistent.

What I like about some of the more expensive is the better cuts. There are a number of those brands that keep the fit relatively slim, but elongate the torso. That's great for someone like me, who'd get a tee that fit well in the body, but was no good after a wash because the length had shrunk so much.

Also, I think it depends on how prominent the tees will be in your wardrobe. If you're mostly wearing button-downs, knits and stuff like that, then you can probably cheap out on the tees. But for someone who predominantly wears tees as their top of choice, it makes sense to shell out a bit more for them.

15. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

This is not true for me. I did the whole cheap tee thing and the results usually weren't good. Pilling, considerable shrinkage and overall bad cuts were the norm. And this happened even though I babied them. I tried Gap, Old Navy, H&M, Uniqlo and some others. I had a couple of H&M tees that weren't bad, but the sizing is really inconsistent.

What I like about some of the more expensive is the better cuts. There are a number of those brands that keep the fit relatively slim, but elongate the torso. That's great for someone like me, who'd get a tee that fit well in the body, but was no good after a wash because the length had shrunk so much.

Also, I think it depends on how prominent the tees will be in your wardrobe. If you're mostly wearing button-downs, knits and stuff like that, then you can probably cheap out on the tees. But for someone who predominantly wears tees as their top of choice, it makes sense to shell out a bit more for them.

Wouldn't disagree. We all see value in various aspects of clothing depending on what we were the most. Many won't disagree too much on footwear though, at least I wouldn't think.

I like nice tees too, but yeah I place more value in pants and button downs and knits and footwear since I wear those the most and year round for the most part. The tees I recently purchased and have in my selection are BDG (from 2-4 years back when they were good), J. Crew jaspe tees (not the best but they fit me well), Rogue State tees I found in my Nordstrom Rack that have a nice slim, fit and are Made in Peru slubby cotton, and Ever from Gilt made in the US of slubby cotton with a nice fit as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.