Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I think this is a pretty sexist appraisal of the situation and seems pretty inaccurate, or at least based on pretty shaky reasoning :\\ Maybe she just as an aggressive personality? I wonder what the response would be like if it was a man saying these words?

If the interview was with a dude, the dude would be a prick. At least for me it doesn't matter if you have a vag or a dick, if you're a snob, you're a snob.

This is my personal favorite though:

This is fuckin amazing. I just picture all the metal (specifically black metal) purists I know invading the fashion world and bringing their music ideology into clothes.

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

I think this is a pretty sexist appraisal of the situation and seems pretty inaccurate, or at least based on pretty shaky reasoning :\\ Maybe she just as an aggressive personality? I wonder what the response would be like if it was a man saying these words?
    Pretty inaccurate? Did you miss the part about where I've seen it happen in my personal life, as in women have admitted this to me? Calling my observations sexist because they relay real-life occurrences of sexism from both sides doesn't make much sense to me. You can't just deny that women can be sexist. Frankly, I see it happen rather often. I can't tell you how many 'Mom's groups' there are where Moms are welcome to get their kids together to play while they talk about how to raise kids. And there I was as a single father of a young child getting strange looks when I try to participate (after all, Dad's groups don't exist because we're all about football and beer, not kids). I certainly don't condone sexism in any way, but I also won't deny that it occurs on both sides. Equality is a wonderful idea, but I don't think it fully exists in many places. Sheesh, maybe I'm just cynical from living in Utah for so long :p

5. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I pretty much credit Tyler for creating the blackbird brand.

Oh and stfu already Unc.

Tyler one of the coolest dudes on the planet. We used to carpool to Ballard together

6. g transistor

Pretty inaccurate? Did you miss the part about where I've seen it happen in my personal life, as in women have admitted this to me? Calling my observations sexist because they relay real-life occurrences of sexism from both sides doesn't make much sense to me. You can't just deny that women can be sexist. Frankly, I see it happen rather often. I can't tell you how many 'Mom's groups' there are where Moms are welcome to get their kids together to play while they talk about how to raise kids. And there I was as a single father of a young child getting strange looks when I try to participate (after all, Dad's groups don't exist because we're all about football and beer, not kids). I certainly don't condone sexism in any way, but I also won't deny that it occurs on both sides. Equality is a wonderful idea, but I don't think it fully exists in many places. Sheesh, maybe I'm just cynical from living in Utah for so long :p
    Volunteering in a first grade class for two years, it was really funny seeing how single fathers were treated and male volunteers were viewed. When it comes to anything with children, the view on males is pretty ridiculous.

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

You can't just deny that women can be sexist. Frankly, I see it happen rather often. I can't tell you how many 'Mom's groups' there are where Moms are welcome to get their kids together to play while they talk about how to raise kids. And there I was as a single father of a young child getting strange looks when I try to participate (after all, Dad's groups don't exist because we're all about football and beer, not kids). I certainly don't condone sexism in any way, but I also won't deny that it occurs on both sides. Equality is a wonderful idea, but I don't think it fully exists in many places. Sheesh, maybe I'm just cynical from living in Utah for so long :p
    I agree that this is a shitty, terrible situation, but it's also a situation created by the patriarchal shoehorning of women into the primary role of caregiver. Men absolve themselves of responsibility and push it to women, thus creating the beer and football stereotypes, and women will find it weird that a father attends a mom's group because in a patriarchal society, women are the caregivers. [​IMG] I'm not saying that sexism against men doesn't exist; just that patriarchy hurts both men and women, and is also perpetuated by both. And yeah, I mean I would understand why a woman would feel resentful in that situation, but your anecdotal experiences don't necessarily translate to this person.

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

Of course they don't necessarily translate. Her complaint about it, as well as her hostility to others just reminded me too much of some women I know (one of which to whom I used to be married). I'll certainly agree that with your points about patriarchy (and the just-as-evil matriarchal stereotype [​IMG] ). I'm always so disappointed in most of the guys I know who act like they don't know what to do when their kid needs something.
    Volunteering in a first grade class for two years, it was really funny seeing how single fathers were treated and male volunteers were viewed. When it comes to anything with children, the view on males is pretty ridiculous.
    Oh, I agree. I just do my best to amaze women with the fact that I care about and can take care of kids [​IMG] Even some of my daughter's friends' Moms have pretty funny reactions when I tell them that my daughter wants their kid to come over on a play date. And then we make brownies, and the Moms are like 'WTF?" but in a good way.

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Anyway I dunno. I just prefer this type of personality and thinking so I wasn't offended at all by her comments. Haha

10. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

Wow, I just took a veritable buttload of photos for my upcoming FS thread (preview: CP training boots, olive, size 45, NIB; CP Italian army mids, white, size 45, used; lots of denim that doesn't fit me). Took freakin' forever. Thinking about the next couple of days - Mountain Goats show tomorrow night, B-more aquarium on Saturday - the first chance I'd have to post is Sunday, and I still have to resize the pictures, write any accompanying text, decide on prices...this had better be worth it. [​IMG]
    Good god, go here and get the image resizer, makes it so much easier [​IMG] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ads/windows-xp Well I guess that only applies if you're on XP, but if you are, its amazing

11. g transistor

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

You can easily rotate and resize images right on imgur
    this, but i prefer to do it beforehand since uploading a 3000px image takes a while iphoto and preview app's mass resizing features save my life constantly

13. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

Can you resize all of them at once on imgur?
    I haven't really f'd with it

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

Goddam uncontrol turning into xeno.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Yo anyone knows how much those Prada wingtips with the huge cork soles retail for? I found them but I'm in Asia so they're probably too expensive. Actually they don't have my size and I'd need to order otherwise I would have insta-impulse-kopped.

If you know Euro prices that'd be best but American prices are useful too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.