Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

please add the option to close your own threads for items that have sold. i hate necro bumps and idiots who think items from 2008 are still for sale today.

Done! Actually, you will be required to change the status of your threads to "closed", because even if there is no bumping, we don't want people viewing by "latest comments" to have to see some thread with idiot asking "Are these still available?" when the item is clearly sold.

However, I don't think that there is going to be an expiry date, so if you've been waiting since 2008 to sell that sweet pair of True Religions, and someone wants them, you will be in luck.

2. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Over @ sufu, I like the possibility of where you can "view thread start time" so i simply just once a day checks if anything new suits my needs

3. LA Guy

Over @ sufu, I like the possibility of where you can "view thread start time" so i simply just once a day checks if anything new suits my needs

I neglected to mention that this will be possible. You will actually be able to view by last edited, newest listings, most recent reply price (highest to lowest or lowest to highest).

The new forum will be very powerful for both sellers and buyers. Our aim is to have anyone interested in men's clothing and accessories checking our B&S 24/7, to the point where there will have to be Styleforum addiction support groups, (to which I'll send a live feed of latests posts and newest B&S entries.)

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Wait. So for a casual seller selling like 2-10 things all within $50-300 what kind of fees am i looking at? Just fees for listing or only if my item sells or for price drops? I don't mind price drops that much. I understand the owner (especially casual sellers) hoping to get a bit more and don't necessarily mind that. Obviously, that's lame if people are abusing this currently by listing barely used APCs (goes for about $100-125) for $150 only to drop it down slowly. Some things are hard to gauge the market price for and small time sellers probably aren't wanting to leave $25-50 on the table (petty to ballers i know)

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Where's PinkPanther? I need help bringing seersucker back.

6. LA Guy

Wait. So for a casual seller selling like 2-10 things all within $50-300 what kind of fees am i looking at? Just fees for listing or only if my item sells or for price drops? I don't mind price drops that much. I understand the owner (especially casual sellers) hoping to get a bit more and don't necessarily mind that. Obviously, that's lame if people are abusing this currently by listing barely used APCs (goes for about $100-125) for $150 only to drop it down slowly. Some things are hard to gauge the market price for and small time sellers probably aren't wanting to leave $25-50 on the table (petty to ballers i know)
    There are no fees for listing. There will never be. If I hadn't made that apparent, it was my miscommunication fail. You are looking at no fees unless you want to bump (so that the casual viewer sees your stuff first,) or for something like a boldfaced or otherwise more visually arresting title. Because of the different viewing options, your item will probably actually get more views from users who are not just casually browsing. I wouldn't necessarily underestimate how many viewers (at any one time, about 1/2 of the viewers are not logged in) are just casually browsing, without using any of the special features. This is why I say that the new system will not inconvenience "small time" sellers, but will still offer value for those who opt for some of the premium options. So, to reinterate, you would have a base fee of $0.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

You guys didn't read the part about the bulk uploader. The bulk uploader will allow people with a bunch of stuff to sell to essentially enter multiple items simultaneously.
    That's great and all but I don't use the B&S the way you envision. I can't speak for everyone but I'm betting a lot of people are like me - open the B&S, browse through the first page or maybe two, see if anything catches my eye. I do not go in and search for a specific item. I don't go in and say "hmm I need a BAG!" and look for a particular category. I look for brands on ebay but SF is not really well enough organized to do that efficiently. My SF purchases are rarely targeted. I'm betting the purchases people make off my threads are "that looks cool and is a good deal", not "hey look the exact item I was looking for". Anyway I will await that PM then.

8. LA Guy

That's great and all but I don't use the B&S the way you envision. I can't speak for everyone but I'm betting a lot of people are like me - open the B&S, browse through the first page or maybe two, see if anything catches my eye. I do not go in and search for a specific item. I don't go in and say "hmm I need a BAG!" and look for a particular category. I look for brands on ebay but SF is not really well enough organized to do that efficiently. My SF purchases are rarely targeted. I'm betting the purchases people make off my threads are "that looks cool and is a good deal", not "hey look the exact item I was looking for". Anyway I will await that PM then.
    I actually browse the same way you do. I'll probably browse by "newest listings". The difference is that we'll be able to immediately see more about the items without even having to go into the thread. The difference is that people will be able to target their searches if they so choose. A lot of people have asked about this. J and I were very specific about what we wanted for Styleforum, which was "The same, but better." Essentially, we want existing users to be able to use Styleforum in a very similar fashion to how they do now, but with enhanced functionality. For new users, they will see a well designed, easy to use forum with a lot of features not available on VB or other such platforms. Oh, and in the roadmap is a "Styleforum Q&A" feature, which will hopefully alleviate the tensions between new and existing users.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

What fucking cigar should I smoke?

10. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

The eleventh hour ...........

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

nice

13. Easter

Easter Well-Known Member

I would definitely love it if B&S could be organized into categories like jackets, pants, footwear, etc; and then getting even more specific like boots and sneakers would be even better. That's how I browse B&S even though it's pretty difficult to do.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I actually browse the same way you do. I'll probably browse by "newest listings". The difference is that we'll be able to immediately see more about the items without even having to go into the thread. The difference is that people will be able to target their searches if they so choose. A lot of people have asked about this. J and I were very specific about what we wanted for Styleforum, which was "The same, but better." Essentially, we want existing users to be able to use Styleforum in a very similar fashion to how they do now, but with enhanced functionality. For new users, they will see a well designed, easy to use forum with a lot of features not available on VB or other such platforms. Oh, and in the roadmap is a "Styleforum Q&A" feature, which will hopefully alleviate the tensions between new and existing users.
    I do wish that we could kinda bump a few times. Maybe give at least sw&d users the chance to bump 2-3 times? If they want to use their 3 bumps in 1 day fine. or they'll stretch it out to do it once a week for 3 weeks I dunno. I just think a lot of this stuff is to stop exploitation by a small amount of users at the expense of the majority of the users who understand the social contract. I do wish i could list a jacket at $215. Wait a few days to see if anyone wants it, then maybe drop it to $200 and hope someone bites then. It often is luck if the right person happens to be browsing and not everyone browses with the same focus and strategy. Even now, i only see a very few amount of sw&d sale threads that are probably bending the rules slightly and it doesn't bother me that much because it's not that hard to scan like 2 pages to see the threads for the day. I can understand how it is a major issue on MC where it is more of a business though so i know you guys need some kind of change and that the payments and fees are more to discourage abuse and make it easier for buyers than it is to make money Was there a thread or faq on this? I knew you have been talking about it but haven't really seen full info until now. I've been waiting to find the energy to make a sale thread for like 2years to sell shit i don't wear. Maybe i should do it now. Anyone in the boston area want to make $25-50 to take pictures and measurements of all my clothes lemme know

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

Looks like margiela311 was eradicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.