• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I don't understand ann d when IMO a lot of the stuff is meant to be really flowly, but people size down to oblivion

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if i read stories about raf simons and the first collections i saw were the last 2, i wouldn't get it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
conversely, certain fora and certain peoples reaction that raf doesn;t like the direction he's going in are laughable. he has pretty clearly stated that he does.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
No need for a name--I don't have any ready label for the way I dress either. I was just curious if there was some secret nomenclature I wasn't hip to since I don't lurk there too often. Also, I don't really discuss such matters outside fora, so I'm never quite sure how prevalent certain badges are outside the internets. For instance, if you were to mention the term "goth-ninja" to the staff of Atelier, would they have any idea what you were talking about (assuming they weren't internet savvy and had never visited SZ or SuFu, etc)?

They visit sz, heck Rick Owens reads SZ! It's the first thing you find if you search for many of these designers or at least top 5. Ann doesn't give a **** though so she just describes the overall feeling of a collection. I think last one was something like "feminine masculinity" or something, can't remember but it's just what she said after the show...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
conversely, certain fora and certain peoples reaction that raf doesn;t like the direction he's going in are laughable. he has pretty clearly stated that he does.

He sucks now, I only own one Raf piece anyway, never was my style. I like a lot of it though.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can rarely find shoes, sneakers or boots i like. should either design some myself or not wear any. wear my ******* dick dunks every day

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he definitely sucks now but seems okay with it. have always liked his footwear, knitwear and outerwear best and none of them are any good anymore. hasn;t had a generally good collection since f/w 07/08, though s/s 08 was interesting conceptually IMO

Originally Posted by Fuuma
He sucks now, I only own one Raf piece anyway, never was my style. I like a lot of it though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'd blame the *** store and 2006 styling too but the way I see it:

L'Ã
00a9.png
claireur: artisanship/exclusivity/designer's designers
The library: ballin', creative types
Atelier: goth-ninja
Bilzerian: who the **** shops there?? Older guy I guess but they have a good buy, I just don't know who wears it. Boston is a style wasteland, Barneys couldn't sell fan favourite like Lanvin and Ann so forget about CCP and MA+

I like L'Eclaireur - they merchandise MA+, CCP, etc... in a non-goth way.
iirc, Alan Bilzerian has a huge fan following outside of Boston. Alan's buys are really amazing. It is the one store that I consistently learn something every time I've visited. I've not been to a store in the US that even comes close. Some stores in Europe are like that, but that is because there is a lot of European product that never sees American soil. I suppose that a European visiting a good Bloomingdales could probably say the same.

Department stores, Barney's included, can't attract the level of SA that is required to sell stuff that is more escoteric than Rogue's Gallery, so they aren't able to sell CCP or MA+ outside of LA, SF, or NYC.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More romantic than feminine, older collections had an aggressive edge that is sorta getting diluted now. Last show I was at was weird cause the people that liked it were like gaylord Vogue editors and I while the goth-ninja raged. It was more Miami+boxing than 19th century poets.

The ninja goth are just as narrow as the Ed Hardy wearing bros. Ann is one of the original originals. I don't like every collection that I see, but her range is fantastic, and some people should STFU and try to understand what she is trying to do rather than ***** and piss. I passed on a great Ann D. jacket back in about 2001 that was going for $500 or so, and I still regret that (though I regret that non purchase less than I regret the Margiela rider's jacket non-purchase at around the same time.)

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Ann D, she is fantastic with layers and never ceases to amaze me with how relevant she makes such historical ideas of dress. Definitely wouldn't put her among the 'goth ninjas' and hate it when she is pigeon holed as such as it is insulting to her originality. Only designers I can think of that have done similar stuff are Robert Geller and Number Nine.

The downside of being so unique however, is that it can be hard finding 'compatible' clothes or designers, i.e: dressing like a poet without wearing more than 1 ann d piece isn't so easy.

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
+1 on Ann D, she is fantastic with layers and never ceases to amaze me with how relevant she makes such historical ideas of dress. Definitely wouldn't put her among the 'goth ninjas' and hate it when she is pigeon holed as such as it is insulting to her originality. Only designers I can think of that have done similar stuff are Robert Geller and Number Nine.

The downside of being so unique however, is that it can be hard finding 'compatible' clothes or designers, i.e: dressing like a poet without wearing more than 1 ann d piece isn't so easy.

Like a poet? Don't think I've ever met a proper poet, but I'd assume they would wear Ann D. as they have no money. Because they're a poet.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doin' Fine.
Like a poet? Don't think I've ever met a proper poet, but I'd assume they would wear Ann D. as they have no money. Because they're a poet.

Paying buckets of money to look like you have no money is an odd practice. Not that I'm against looking like you have no money, just against spending buckets of money to get there. It's all very bipolar.

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RCG Tiburon
Paying buckets of money to look like you have no money is an odd practice.

If you spend on something, it should make you look wealthy? Paying buckets of money to 'look rich' is about the most tasteless approach to fashion I can imagine.

oneblood

Reaction score
Workwear is the new skinny. Just like how being fat and pale used to mean you had tons of money now it just means you're poor and probably live in a trailer park. Some of the poorest people in America spend their money on gold and other expensive items while many in the upper echelons spend thousands trying to look like a early 20th century steel worker (who chances are was the ancestor of the fat pale American spoken of earlier). It's hilarious to me, but hey I own some workwear too so who am I to judge.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Why did you sell off all your BR stuff Robert? You were going apeshit for it before.

Wait until he discovers Uniqlo. He'll have 800 useless J crew items around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads