1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

I don't understand ann d when IMO a lot of the stuff is meant to be really flowly, but people size down to oblivion

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Stylish Dinosaur

if i read stories about raf simons and the first collections i saw were the last 2, i wouldn't get it.

3. thekunk07

conversely, certain fora and certain peoples reaction that raf doesn;t like the direction he's going in are laughable. he has pretty clearly stated that he does.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

No need for a name--I don't have any ready label for the way I dress either. I was just curious if there was some secret nomenclature I wasn't hip to since I don't lurk there too often. Also, I don't really discuss such matters outside fora, so I'm never quite sure how prevalent certain badges are outside the internets. For instance, if you were to mention the term "goth-ninja" to the staff of Atelier, would they have any idea what you were talking about (assuming they weren't internet savvy and had never visited SZ or SuFu, etc)?

They visit sz, heck Rick Owens reads SZ! It's the first thing you find if you search for many of these designers or at least top 5. Ann doesn't give a fuck though so she just describes the overall feeling of a collection. I think last one was something like "feminine masculinity" or something, can't remember but it's just what she said after the show...

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

conversely, certain fora and certain peoples reaction that raf doesn;t like the direction he's going in are laughable. he has pretty clearly stated that he does.

He sucks now, I only own one Raf piece anyway, never was my style. I like a lot of it though.

6. thekunk07

can rarely find shoes, sneakers or boots i like. should either design some myself or not wear any. wear my fucking dick dunks every day

7. thekunk07

he definitely sucks now but seems okay with it. have always liked his footwear, knitwear and outerwear best and none of them are any good anymore. hasn;t had a generally good collection since f/w 07/08, though s/s 08 was interesting conceptually IMO

He sucks now, I only own one Raf piece anyway, never was my style. I like a lot of it though.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well I'd blame the jap store and 2006 styling too but the way I see it:

L'Ã[​IMG]claireur: artisanship/exclusivity/designer's designers
    The library: ballin', creative types
    Atelier: goth-ninja
    Bilzerian: who the fuck shops there?? Older guy I guess but they have a good buy, I just don't know who wears it. Boston is a style wasteland, Barneys couldn't sell fan favourite like Lanvin and Ann so forget about CCP and MA+

I like L'Eclaireur - they merchandise MA+, CCP, etc... in a non-goth way.
    iirc, Alan Bilzerian has a huge fan following outside of Boston. Alan's buys are really amazing. It is the one store that I consistently learn something every time I've visited. I've not been to a store in the US that even comes close. Some stores in Europe are like that, but that is because there is a lot of European product that never sees American soil. I suppose that a European visiting a good Bloomingdales could probably say the same.

Department stores, Barney's included, can't attract the level of SA that is required to sell stuff that is more escoteric than Rogue's Gallery, so they aren't able to sell CCP or MA+ outside of LA, SF, or NYC.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

More romantic than feminine, older collections had an aggressive edge that is sorta getting diluted now. Last show I was at was weird cause the people that liked it were like gaylord Vogue editors and I while the goth-ninja raged. It was more Miami+boxing than 19th century poets.

The ninja goth are just as narrow as the Ed Hardy wearing bros. Ann is one of the original originals. I don't like every collection that I see, but her range is fantastic, and some people should STFU and try to understand what she is trying to do rather than bitch and piss. I passed on a great Ann D. jacket back in about 2001 that was going for $500 or so, and I still regret that (though I regret that non purchase less than I regret the Margiela rider's jacket non-purchase at around the same time.)

10. XenoX101

XenoX101 Distinguished Member

+1 on Ann D, she is fantastic with layers and never ceases to amaze me with how relevant she makes such historical ideas of dress. Definitely wouldn't put her among the 'goth ninjas' and hate it when she is pigeon holed as such as it is insulting to her originality. Only designers I can think of that have done similar stuff are Robert Geller and Number Nine.

The downside of being so unique however, is that it can be hard finding 'compatible' clothes or designers, i.e: dressing like a poet without wearing more than 1 ann d piece isn't so easy.

11. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior Member

+1 on Ann D, she is fantastic with layers and never ceases to amaze me with how relevant she makes such historical ideas of dress. Definitely wouldn't put her among the 'goth ninjas' and hate it when she is pigeon holed as such as it is insulting to her originality. Only designers I can think of that have done similar stuff are Robert Geller and Number Nine.

The downside of being so unique however, is that it can be hard finding 'compatible' clothes or designers, i.e: dressing like a poet without wearing more than 1 ann d piece isn't so easy.

Like a poet? Don't think I've ever met a proper poet, but I'd assume they would wear Ann D. as they have no money. Because they're a poet.

12. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Senior Member

Like a poet? Don't think I've ever met a proper poet, but I'd assume they would wear Ann D. as they have no money. Because they're a poet.

Paying buckets of money to look like you have no money is an odd practice. Not that I'm against looking like you have no money, just against spending buckets of money to get there. It's all very bipolar.

13. wiru

wiru Senior Member

Paying buckets of money to look like you have no money is an odd practice.

If you spend on something, it should make you look wealthy? Paying buckets of money to 'look rich' is about the most tasteless approach to fashion I can imagine.

14. oneblood

oneblood Senior Member

Workwear is the new skinny. Just like how being fat and pale used to mean you had tons of money now it just means you're poor and probably live in a trailer park. Some of the poorest people in America spend their money on gold and other expensive items while many in the upper echelons spend thousands trying to look like a early 20th century steel worker (who chances are was the ancestor of the fat pale American spoken of earlier). It's hilarious to me, but hey I own some workwear too so who am I to judge.

15. Big Pun

Big Pun Distinguished Member

Why did you sell off all your BR stuff Robert? You were going apeshit for it before.

Wait until he discovers Uniqlo. He'll have 800 useless J crew items around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.