Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

No, it doesn't mean doctors are stupid just that it's a technical pursuit and not something matching what you're expected to do in graduate circles; challenge commonly held notions and come up with knowledge of your own.

I believe some schools have more of a research focus. Aside from that I don't think that just because all doctors aren't expecting to be the next Vesalius means that Medical schools are essentially trade schools.

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

No, it doesn't mean doctors are stupid just that it's a technical pursuit and not something matching what you're expected to do in graduate circles; challenge commonly held notions and come up with knowledge of your own.

well i can assure you many graduate programs can be just as formulaic and result in very little contribution to advancing human knowledge while still proving useful

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Explain that "real world" concept here, I wanna know if I'm in alternative dimension x or not.

Me too. Let's hear it.

4. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

Congrats to forum favourite Krane, who had their first show at Toronto's fashion week on Wednesday night.

There is some coverage here, though the pics are pretty bad and the writing will make you want to kill yourself: http://www.blogto.com/toronto_fashio...ition_to_lgfw/

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

The paul smith trainers I wear everyday are getting increasingly shitty looking so I might just dip them in white paint and margiela it up. Easier then trying to clean them after 2 years of solid wear.

6. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

Congrats to forum favourite Krane, who had their first show at Toronto's fashion week on Wednesday night.

There is some coverage here, though the pics are pretty bad and the writing will make you want to kill yourself: http://www.blogto.com/toronto_fashio...ition_to_lgfw/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. APK

APK Senior member

What the fuck is a fleet fox?
    Stuff white people like. edit: and since we're disregarding private messages and I'm too lazy to go find my phone, shah: no Lupe concert for me. I didn't even know he was coming to the area.

8. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

well i can assure you many graduate programs can be just as formulaic and result in very little contribution to advancing human knowledge while still proving useful

i thought his point (not necessarily endorsing it) is that you're not *expected* to make original contributions in med schools. even the most teaching-oriented grad programs (where most students have no hope of landing a research job after graduation) expect you to come up with something original in your dissertation. of course many fail to live up to that expectation but it's an expectation nonetheless.

9. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

^^^3 entries so no go

Should just do a regular waywt ie picture deal though instead. Need some sort of theme.

I actually made one (mostly to make a stupid joke), but the sound didn't come through and I never got around to figuring out how to add a separate audio track.

Still think it could be hilarious to dress as other members.

I think this should be a fairly regular WAYWT contest, maybe twice a year.

Metaphorical circus not a literal circus, hahaha.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=4307410

^ Best sale thread ever

Actually, it's one of the most cruel and mocking sale threads ever, because synth's feet are in the range of one to 1.5 sizes smaller than mine.

how bout that new fleet foxes song. mm mm. the first one they released from the new album, I wasn't thrilled by but this has me excited again.

I listened to their first album and saw them live, and they're super-talented and all, but there's something too sepia-toned about them for me.

i thought his point (not necessarily endorsing it) is that you're not *expected* to make original contributions in med schools. even the most teaching-oriented grad programs (where most students have no hope of landing a research job after graduation) expect you to come up with something original in your dissertation. of course many fail to live up to that expectation but it's an expectation nonetheless.

Dunno, MD/PhD programs tend to be pretty research-focused, and unless you're discounting graduate programs in the sciences as well, there's at least some academic stuff mixed in with all of the technical work.

edit: Also, fuck being sick on a Friday night. I'm missing Warpaint right now. [​IMG]

10. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

So did we decide on a waywt contest? I propose "interesting backdrops", go find a cool place to take a WAYWT and wear whatever you want. Trying to force people to dress around a concept rarely yields the best results anyway.

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I want to dress up as mellowfellow [​IMG]

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I'm not sure I'd want to dress up as anybody. I could maybe figure out a synthese fit, I could do slack tide or a really muted version of uncontrol wearing all black everything. But I dunno, doesn't look all that interesting to me in my head, esp. not slack tide given that I pretty much do that 3-4 days a week anyway and don't post it.

13. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

I listened to their first album and saw them live, and they're super-talented and all, but there's something too sepia-toned about them for me.

I don't know what the new album sounds like, but if you listen to their first (self-titled) EP it's just a bunch of really really well-crafted songs in that pop-rock vein, way less sepia. Probably my favorite album of theirs.

14. the shah

yes but i'm pointing out the laxness of this expectation; there are programs where you arrive, do A B C D E F G and it's original because nobody had done it but it's still formulaic because it follows the same structure that was applied to a very similar topic of study (for example an experiment on a certain subset of chemicals, you have chemical X whereas your colleague has chemical Y, you follow the same steps in your experiments and publish your results; it won't go into Nature or Science but you'll get some mid-level journal). in terms of novel contributions it is null. but i've said too much already [​IMG]

15. the shah

Stuff white people like.

edit: and since we're disregarding private messages and I'm too lazy to go find my phone, shah: no Lupe concert for me. I didn't even know he was coming to the area.

well good i would have been heartbroken if you came thru again without hitting me up for snacks [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.