Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

lil flip had a song called dirty souf some 10 years ago or so

2. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

lil flip had a song called dirty souf some 10 years ago or so

Think further back...

3. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

This past Saturday, I went to the annual ScrappleFest at Reading Terminal Market. For some reason, there were people from Temple (or some other local university) there offering free body composition testing and literature on exercise and fitness. Maybe they were doing a study, or maybe they wanted to make people feel bad about themselves. Naturally, I had to try it out while I was waiting in line to get my scrapple. It was a handheld bioelectric impedence test, which is kind of bullshit because it varies based on time of day, hydration level, and recency of food consumption and exercise. It came back at 4.5%. The girl from Temple (or wherever) stared at me like I was from another planet. The guy who'd just been told he was at 25% bodyfat kind of glared at me. The line started moving, and I got some scrapple, which isn't quite as gross as it sounds (I'd already had it on several previous occasions). Morals of the story: - People in Philly are gross and fat. - I've more or less maintained the same physique since I graduated from college about seven years ago. - Next time I think "maybe I could size down on this if I drop a few pounds," I probably shouldn't. - I could probably cut down on the cardio a little and still be ok. - I would look totally fantastic in bizarre gothninja stuff, particularly if I shaved my head to reveal some modest but visible scarring on my scalp. Unfortunately, I could never take myself seriously doing so. But I digress.
    Quick, name the artist and the album on which the song "Dirty South" actually appears.
    Soul Food
    by Goodie Mob?

4. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Goodie Mob, Soul Food, Number 4

5. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Soul Food by Goodie Mob?

Yup, though for all I know it was used before that. Point still stands: A lot of different rappers came out of the South and just like any other place some are good, some are bad.

For reference:

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

However, I think the triple zip is something you should shy away from, that's way too gothic for you. Not even I would buy that, so I dunno why you are even considering it.
    You're right about this, I just like the jacket.

7. scourage

scourage Senior member

epaulet and self edge are right next to eachother on orchard street. it's like the world is trying to make me go broke

8. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

Morals of the story:
    - People in Philly are gross and fat.

- I would look totally fantastic in bizarre gothninja stuff, particularly if I shaved my head to reveal some modest but visible scarring on my scalp. Unfortunately, I could never take myself seriously doing so.

- People everywhere in America are fat and gross.

- 4.5% body fat would look fantastic in anything.

9. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

e: nevermind

10. Desi

Desi Senior member

It came back at 4.5%. The girl from Temple (or wherever) stared at me like I was from another planet. The guy who'd just been told he was at 25% bodyfat kind of glared at me. The line started moving, and I got some scrapple, which isn't quite as gross as it sounds (I'd already had it on several previous occasions).

scrapple is so fucking Delicious. I might cook some for breakfast tomorrow.

11. wangvicous

wangvicous Senior member

after all that blazer talk a few pages back, i want some white high tops and i'm considering supras

help!

12. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

scrapple is so fucking Delicious. I might cook some for breakfast tomorrow.

Yeah it's pretty good most places in PA I've found. You can only eat so much before you roll over and die, though.

13. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

But that isn't what i said. I said No mention of walmart or TJMaxx anywhere. In fact, one would exclude those stores by the usage of "austere, but understated and sophisticated in it's simplicity." What I'm trying to say is, people will stop perceiving minimalism as pretentious and european and start viewing it as stylish and understated. Currently, minimalist designers are intimidating in terms of price, availability, and in the way it's presented--it's expensive, hard to find outside of speciality retailers, and intimidating. As a result, it doesn't have the perception as being easy to wear as say, workwear, which became popular because it tapped into both a cultural nerve and wasn't difficult to pull off. In contrast, workwear was pretty no-fuss as far as aesthetics go, and a "no-fuss" "non-pretentious" minimalist aesthetic (what i'm calling an "american" minimalism) is what I see taking the place of flannel, denimz, and boots as "trendy." What i'm trying to argue is that there will be a move towards minimal-but-not-boring (i.e. sophisticated) as a dominant style. I think that more mainstream designers/stores will water it down somewhat from where it currently is, but it willl keep the essence of the concept-less is more, emphasis on details, fit, precise tailoring etc. that are the hallmarks of minimalistic designers such as Ervell, Jil and APC, but packaged, marketed, and sold as a "no-fuss" sophistication. Like Ikea, but for clothing. EDIT: SHUT THE FUCK UP MAGICIAN
    the future of fashion is going to be dictated by people that buy clothing from barneys ny, bergdorfs, saks on madison, etc at retail or near retail prices....not a bunch of clothing nerds that discuss it ad naseum online. in turn, the low end stores like gap, old navy, banana, etc will follow and so will the american masses.
    Actually i do agree with that part 100% if nothing else. APC, Cos, maybe Celine, and especially Jil most of the time are all about the fit while wearing a very standard uniform. The problem that I normally run in when doing a minimalist look is one piece doesn't fit quite right and throws off that simple sense of perfection. When we (as in people on this forum mainly) talk about a minimal visual look it is 85% fit, 10% patterns, 5% colors (made up % lol). Something simple like shoes, bags, watches, bangles, etc can throw it all off as well. A woman can wear a little black dress and a white cropped coat but if the shape of that Mulberry is too clunky it is all over. lol about the American minimalism though. I totally thought denim and white tees too.
    jil is more about producing the most incredibly engineered garments (ala german style) and minimalism than it is about fit imo. i think good fit is just a product of those two. there are many other brands with just as good a fit.
    i don't care what people been saying, it died with tupac and biggie. nowhere to go but downhill after that
    +10 also, lol at another jkissi on the streets [​IMG]

14. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

^ he's got the same bracelets; someone needs to put a missing person out on jkissi.

15. APK

APK Senior member

If Tumblr is to be trusted, most young black men living in NYC dress like that now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.