Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that most of us are aware that the swastika predates the Nazis, that pirates love the skull and bones; and I'm sure that everyone who speaks any dialect of Chinese knows that the number 8 is a lucky number. It's stupid to think that the placement of all three together on a piece of clothing is purely coincidental, though.

In any case, I don't think that it's making a big deal out of things to call out the company making these clothes. Clearly, it's offensive imagery to a lot of people, and for good reason.

If the designers meant to be provocative, they certainly succeeded. Shouldn't you guys be arguing about how much used Margiela jackets go for on Ebay and how old is too old to be a college student?

2. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

almost bought a balmain denim vest today,, but was a bit big
    Also 50k yen for a used denim vest seems wrong

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

L.A guy I'm doing Law / Econ Sci double bachelors next year and I'll be 25

Is that too old?

4. Razele

Razele Senior member

that swastika with the curly ends is also part of buddishm and is used in chinese and japanese culture. they even have keyboard/unicode characters for it. the theme of the collection is contemporary pirates. if you show all those things to anyone chinese they will not be as confused as americans who spend too much time on fashion forums. if you honestly think there is a nazi agenda behind the clothing brand, then you should probably put on a tinfoil hat and prepare for the apocalypse. like dan brown books, there are 10 million ways to read into something like this.
    +1 People need to chill out

5. dacox

dacox Senior member

I think that most of us are aware that the swastika predates the Nazis, that pirates love the skull and bones; and I'm sure that everyone who speaks any dialect of Chinese knows that the number 8 is a lucky number. It's stupid to think that the placement of all three together on a piece of clothing is purely coincidental, though.

In any case, I don't think that it's making a big deal out of things to call out the company making these clothes. Clearly, it's offensive imagery to a lot of people, and for good reason.

If the designers meant to be provocative, they certainly succeeded. Shouldn't you guys be arguing about how much used Margiela jackets go for on Ebay and how old is too old to be a college student?

I agree.

Also, even though 8 is obviously a lucky number, most Chinese know "88" as "bye bye." I've also never come across a keyboard/computer with the ability to input the "swastika" symbol.

Bottom line... alone the symbols might not necessarily be offensive, but the combination of them is bound to result in at least some controversy, and rightfully so, but that was probably their point anyway.

6. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

7. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

What HL's are you looking at Snowman?
    Helmut Lang inside out denim, whodinihimself was selling them. Yeah, was just going to say Adam kimmel used 88, but he's trying to embody snoop dogg and the crip culture. [​IMG] edit: the sweatpants layered with shorts are still on my kop list[​IMG] does that make me a bad person?

8. junebugmm

junebugmm Senior member

What's the retail price for a Thom Browne white oxford?

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

195 i think

also, 40 percent off on SASQUATCHFABRIX

i guess teger scared them and now they need to get rid of all their product[​IMG]

10. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

200 at Barney's.

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Most women's shirts have darts under the boobs and i think in the back as well.

mine too

12. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

lol speak of the devil

hahahhaha. its a big conspiracy!

it depends a lot on the details. I think the cheapest I have seen is like 195 or 220 or so and they go up to 400+. the price has fluctuated a lot recently because he no longer customizes the tag with the name of the store selling it and most aren't hand made anymore. does your local barneys co-op not carry them?

13. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

195 i think also, 40 percent off on SASQUATCHFABRIX i guess teger scared them and now they need to get rid of all their product[​IMG]
    i'm offended by the damir doma caps that look like hamid karzai's hat please lets write a nasty email so new stock DD goes on sale 40% off immediately [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

just for most people's reference, what you guys think are swastikas are actually the buddhist symbol for resurrection. the swastika is the reversed form of this symbol.

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.