Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meis

Meis Senior member

exactly what I was looking for, thanks dude. I was checking out the Alinea website earlier, looks grand but I can't spend that much.
    what neighborhood are you going to be staying in / hanging around? I could probably provide some less $$$ restuarant recommendations. I mean nothing wrong with the restaurants named but they're all big name expensive/tourist-ish places, there's lots of good restuarants out in the various neighborhoods of the city that are pretty damn good and much less expensive than alinea etc Also, I heard Gamma Player is closed (though the brand is still going) Edit: yep, http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheBlog...g-gamma-player +1 on Intelligentsia

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

There is some fine dining to be had in chicago.

3. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Meis, I don't know where I'm staying yet, but I'm arriving Friday night and will be around the north side on Saturday evening. In between I have a while to explore.

4. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Senior member

Why the fuck is all 3 american denim company (levis, lee, wrangler) only releasing their premium shit outside of american?

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Some man on my bus wearing a barbour jacket, prince of wales check suit with huge trouser cuffs, contrast collar shit, c&j belgraves and a hat was looking at me and smiled at me. I think he was from MC.

6. UserName84

UserName84 Senior member

The leather jacket thread is quite the read today

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

foolz tryin 2 step 2 drew = [​IMG]

8. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Due to being a small guy and losing weight my shirts need a box pleat or serious darting especilly in the mid-back area. Slimming it down from the sides isn't working. My understanding is that back darts are simple, tailoring 101. So it shouldn't cost more, correct? Is that the same for a box pleat?

I ask because I went to a new tailor because I moved and they seemed really hesitant to do it. To the point that it seemed like they didn't know exactly what I was asking for. Granted there was a slight language barrier, the place is actually pretty nice and gets some glowing reviews.

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

What's wrong with slimming down the sides?

10. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

It's hard to explain. I just took in a BD to get slimmed down and around the stomach/waist it fits fine. However, on the mid/upper back, it blouses out like mad, especially when tucked in. Perhaps this was their fault and they need to take in more around the chest/pit area of the shirt but when they were pinning it, I saw them taking in fabric in that area.

I'll immediately admit I have no real idea what I'm talking about, hence asking here. I just normally don't have this problem with shirt fit before and after tailoring.

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Yeah that's weird. Do you have a shirt you like the fit of that you can have them copy? That's what i've been doing and it's worked great.

12. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

That's the worst part. Since I've been working out, my best-fitting shirt doesn't fit anymore [​IMG]

13. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

I'm currently wondering about the best way to make a cologne out of Saphir Renovateur. Maybe simmering a small amount in some water to skim out the solids?

...Actually, maybe the opposite would be better. Maybe if I chilled it, it would separate.

14. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

^^ You should probably just find a tailor that will do it for you. Some tailors are more hesistant to do certain jobs than others.

If the shirt is baggy at the top try and have him take up the darts as high up the back as he can. Taking in from the sides at the top of the chest can be harder to do because of the armholes.

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

It's hard to explain. I just took in a BD to get slimmed down and around the stomach/waist it fits fine. However, on the mid/upper back, it blouses out like mad, especially when tucked in. Perhaps this was their fault and they need to take in more around the chest/pit area of the shirt but when they were pinning it, I saw them taking in fabric in that area.
    Did they just take it in on the sides? If so, that's the danger of having it slimmed on the sides rather than darting all the way up to the yoke. Edit: Yeah, just read your previous posts. What happens when you take a shirt in more than a little on the sides is that everything is slimmed only from the pits down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.