Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

cuz you dress like an anime character [​IMG]
    that's like the ultimate compliment

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

4chan doesn't work like that
    i browsed the first few pages of /fa/ and i dont see hilarious conversations about uncontrol x10 much less any picture

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

hey i heard you guys like salvage, so i made you a brand that only makes salvage
    http://www.4strokejeans.com/

You all did this

4. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

You all did this
    i was hoping to hear one of those. thanks. in all honesty though if this company got their act together these jeans would be good deals. if you do a little research on the company, they are a maker for many private labels (including Arizona jeans co.) and source fabrics from good spots. made in arkansas or OK, i dont remmeber which.

5. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

sell me small margiela knits.

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

i was hoping to hear one of those. thanks.

in all honesty though if this company got their act together these jeans would be good deals. if you do a little research on the company, they are a maker for many private labels (including Arizona jeans co.) and source fabrics from good spots. made in arkansas or OK, i dont remmeber which.

Pretty sure one of the Denim Debate guys was wearing 4 Strokes. The price is pretty low, and the different warp/weft colors they use are interesting. Not a fan of the exposed back pocket selvage, though. I have a pair of Edwins that are like that, and the back pockets just feel flimsy.

7. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

does sister suzie on sufu do made to order stuff?
    i dont want to ask her for fear of pissing her off[​IMG] ...sort of like when ppl ask drew to make something that looks like rick.

wondering if anyone had asked her before, thanks.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Actually if you're really looking for an aesthetic rather than just wanting to look good, cheap shit is a godsend. I'm not investing in baller sneakers or nice casual oxfords, for example, because i don't like sneakers and oxfords nearly as much as I do boots. For each of the three, i wore chucks, clarks, and a pair of thrifted oxfords and realized that I went with the clarks more often than not. Same with denim cuts. Do you go to your 501's, your 514's or your 511's most often? Do i more often go with a flannel, ocbd or a plane white tee for casual wear? e.g. I kept wearing a faux leather jacket i got from uniqlo and so i saved my pennies and bought a ToJ. Basically, you need to figure out what you feel most comfortable in/what looks best on you. Decide that, and that's what you invest in. But until then, cheap shit (mall brands on sale, Lands End, H&M, Uniqlo etc) can help you figure it out.
    Not to toot my own horn, but I posted this on another thread and i think it's worth discussing. Basically, a lot of people here give the advice to others to invest in quality. However, this can end up with lots of money lots on stuff that doesn't suit their paritcular aesthetic. Maybe buying cheaper is better when you're starting out and unsure of how you like to dress? I think maybe more encouragement of n00bs to go and try stuff out rather than "do research," because otherwise we get people who end up like Davine.

9. Lane

Lane Senior member

I agree, but I also think that if you're trying to invest in style you are going to have to expect some financial losses because it takes a few mistakes to realize what direction you eventually want to take.

10. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

NEVER sell anything via eBay to Brazil..

11. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

12. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Not to toot my own horn, but I posted this on another thread and i think it's worth discussing.

Basically, a lot of people here give the advice to others to invest in quality. However, this can end up with lots of money lots on stuff that doesn't suit their paritcular aesthetic. Maybe buying cheaper is better when you're starting out and unsure of how you like to dress? I think maybe more encouragement of n00bs to go and try stuff out rather than "do research," because otherwise we get people who end up like Davine.

Totally agree. On top of that, someone who's just starting out probably won't appreciate whatever it is that makes the top-tier version "better" than the entry level version he could get for cheap. If some kid goes out and drops a few hundred on a pair of MMM GATs, what's to say he can even tell the difference between those and the much cheaper replicas? Even if he can tell the difference, what's to say that he'd actually care?

Further down the line, it's easier to establish what you like, in terms of both direction/aesthetic and in terms of quality/details. I'm willing to drop a decent amount on denim, for example, because I know I'll enjoy the nicer Japanese stuff much more than I'll enjoy something from the Gap or regular 501s. If it comes to a button-down, though, I don't think I'll get that much more out of a WvG shirt v. something cheaper (e.g., Cottonworks) but tailored to fit exactly the way I want it.

13. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

interesting article/discussion from MC ... probably should have been posted here instead
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=231350

is the question in the thread title actually serious? fashion writers are always hastening the demise of something; it's what they do

14. G0079

G0079 Senior member

interesting article/discussion from MC ... probably should have been posted here instead
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=231350

Good question.

15. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

really? the answer is obviously no, for the same reasons that are discussed here ad nauseum

workwear/americana references what 'normal' people in this country have been wearing for decades

'darker, tailored European looks' are perceived as being exactly that, and will continue to be worn only by those who feel black enough on the inside to wear black on the outside, provided they can afford it, live in one of a handful of neighborhoods in NY/LA/maybe SF, and/or post on fashun boards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.