• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
definitely overpriced. ive also experienced some shooty quality with some accessories ive had.
might you even say that his shoes are quite....shoddy? no, but for srs his mainline handmade in italy stuff is pretty good quality. just don't wear the blake stitched stuff in the rain...

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any great sites or blogs that make it effortless to be current on what's going on in the fashion world? I devote a lot less time to fashion, for the better, but I'm still interested in staying current on whats in, what fast fashion is doing, what my favorite designers are doing ect.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
SF seems to not care about JV's footwear. What's the deal, are they overpriced? I like their boots

totally anecdotal but a few years back (summer 06? 07?) I bought a pair of those boat mocs on sale at bloomingdales and they were pieces of crap. made in Italy and retail was like 275. still paid like 175 or something too.

kwoyeu

Reaction score
^ you sure it's JV mainline? i don't recall any mainline footwear priced under $400... but then i don't know if it's a few years back

kwoyeu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
catwalking.com

get ur money up

apparently you need to be in the fashion industry or a fashion journalist to gain access...

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^In the age of Tumblr and Wordpress, anyone can be a fashion journalist!

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
I remember reading generally positive things, actually. Maybe I'm mistaken. Lots of JV hate in general, maybe that snowballed into people not buying the boots, sort of a "Thomas Kinkade just produced a great painting but no way am I ever going to buy a Thomas Kinkade painting" thing. I don't actually know how good they are.
They're pretty nice in person. Probably overpriced by like 40%, and **** like their Six O Six boots never seem to go on sale, but if I could get 2 pairs of their boots for a grand I would go for it Just sucks, I've been looking and haven't found any alternatives to their **** that I like

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought JV was really, really cool when I just started getting into fashunz too. A pair of JV boots were my first "big" shoe purchase and dear god were they bad. Seriously, looking back, I honestly see no way I could possibly redeem myself.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Varvatos footwear are, or at least were, very well made. Goodyear welted, decent leather for the price, nothing spectacular but at least on par with Paul Smith. The problem is that so many of the lasts, designs and leather treatments are just atrociously bad.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still a avid fan of at least half of his footwear collection each season. Lots of hits and misses but when you produce that high number of styles it is to be expected. I have a pair of suede chukkas from 3-4 years ago that I wear religiously during the spring and summer even though they are about a size big.

With that said, I would recommend seeing the shoes in person first before making a purchase. If that is not possible at the very least make sure you can return them if you don't like them. The "Star USA" line especially.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
if you're near it, check out space 519.. its sort of a general goods store run by Jake of the now closed Jake (shopJake). Last time I was there, which was a while ago, he had a bunch of SNS Herning for like 50% off and some nice canvas bags and ****.

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Chicago's Barney's is decent. St Alfred if you want visvim type stuff. George Greene.

lol at/with Teger. With w+h, and I'm just speculating here, I'm not sure how much of their new designer is in the collection. Interesting to see where they go next spring.

thanks will check out

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought tickets to Korea next weekend, need to get out of Japan for a little bit.
donate if you can, red cross is doing a great job on the ground, working with them here in fukushima.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwoyeu
apparently you need to be in the fashion industry or a fashion journalist to gain access...
like i said, get your money up.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drmmr
WTF's island casual. My cousin's wedding's on some small island and the dress code for her wedding's island casual so I suppose I'll wear shorts and a tee. Or just a man thong. And I've got to dress nice for a cocktail reception the day before that's in the hotel or on a boat or some ****.

Ha ha, my cousin's wedding is "island formal". Still kinda unclear as to what that entails. Probably just wearing a lightweight suit sans tie. Although a seersucker jacket and dress shorts could be pretty fantastic.

No idea what I'm gonna do about footwear. Bucks? Desert boots? New Balances?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
junya watanabe is the worst
BtQjF.jpg
[/IMG]
E8zxd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads