1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i dont understand the point of buying suits or suiting clothes from a designer. if you know what you want find a guy who can make one for you and have it be fitted to you.

2. transient

transient Senior member

Can just any tailor just easily replicate an entire cut?

3. Lane

Lane Senior member

damn, malakas poisoned this whole forum.

4. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

This.

Also, we need to think about fabric, hardware and a whole bunch of other things that would not be easily replicable by a tailor - no matter how good.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^^right. cuz malakas is the first person to have anything made custom for him :facepalm:

you're an idiot. just putting it out there.

clearly the statement wasn't meant to be taken to the extreme, but if you find a good patient tailor than i would imagine you could achieve whatever look you're going for

fine. most looks you are going for. i dont think you can find a tailor willing to try ccp seamless edges or has the exact same fabrics that schneider uses, but if you're looking for a certain cut i'm sure a good tailor can do so.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Fair enough point actually when you put it like that. But you also have to remember that not everyone knows exactly what look or variation on the standard suit forms they want until they see a designer do it. Once seen, might still not be easy to get a tailor to replicate it unless they can actually purchase the piece and have the tailor just outright copy it.

If one does know exactly what they want though, or close enough, then yeah, I agree that it can be a waste to spend mad $$ on something you can describe very well to a good (and as you said, patient) tailor

7. APK

APK Senior member

Holy god, H&M trunks are designed with a crotch that is like a cotton clasp around the junk. Do not like.

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I don't know the details but I do know the rep they were dealing with at one time was not a lady so it's possible they got mixed signals. TBS has had some RRL for a couple of seasons; they weren't totally new to it. I think they expected the restrictions to be similar to those for EG and visvim, i.e. you can post what you have but you can't click-to-order; or at least post pictures of the racks on their blog to let people know they could order. I understand their frustration and I'd assume they were pretty up front about their expectations, as they said, it's not likely they could sell through to walk-ins; Malmo is just not that big a market. But, this is all speculation.

The road to hell is paved with the good intentions of custom tailors. (Most tailors have a pretty narrow range of stylistic capabilities, and narrow access to fabric/raw materials. Even very good tailors who say they don't have a house cut still have a default or ideal, and they rarely stray too far from that.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

he has a toilet in his closet, or a closet in his washroom. either way, its weird

10. 1969

1969 Senior member

Fabric is the biggest obstacle imo. A lot of these more interesting fabrics are out of japan and there is no "fabric book" for them at your tailor in suburban Cleveland. If you have access to the fabric yourself try bringing it to your tailor to discover obstacle #2.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  11. jet

jet Senior member

You stay at the hard rock or something? Tell me you wouldn't smash.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Interest1, yeah briefly met her. She has Madonna arms (skinny+gym arms), right?

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Good designers know how to design. Good tailors, not so much. Designer clothes are also usually better made than even top tailored clothes cause good factories have the same guy doing the same stitch all day, everyday while tailors practice different things (good for them). I know this goes against common wisdom but it is mostly true, Saville row tailors can stitch decently but not as good as the people making Jil Sander or Lanvin.

14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

You got me there: I am attracted to women. I think in this case, the attraction is more aesthetic than sexual. Women are more likely to appear shapely and graceful, whereas guys can easily look like shapeless blobs when wearing a bunch of oversized and/or drapey stuff (IMO, obviously).

You make a good point about the ratio. SZ is essentially a men's forum, so the barriers to entry are higher for women in that they have to accept that they'll comprise a small minority of posters. The women who do join, by this logic, would likely be a self-selected group with a significantly higher level of interest in all things SZ than your random guy who, as you say, woke up and decided to dress "goth ninja".

Speaking of which, what's the etymology of the term "goth ninja"?

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

I think I saw Interest1 in a Starbuck's in SoHO the last time I was in NYC.

Just wanted to share1!!!

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I don't really see "goth ninja" as being on its way out as much as dark looks being something that have been a constant in fashion since the 80s and coming back in the spotlight every 3-4 yrs or so. If you had to take a long term trend you'd be hard pressed to find a more solid one than that. Urban lumberjack is more of the moment but then "authentic" manly men clothing has more depth than that and cycles with about the same speed as goth ninja.

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

All I mean is that I was at the NYC SZ magazine launch/Atelier party. Laugh all you want but the crowd was much better than what I anticipated (asian virgins who used to connect nike but now collect CCP and are waaaaaaaaay akward).

18. Teger

Teger Senior member

I wasn't mocking you - i really do think i saw her at a starbucks in soho.

anyway ive met many, many sf people are some are cool, and some are awkward.

19. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

a lot of fake gucci/chanel/lv bags too; I went in july and it suprised me how 'dressed up' women got in the clubs while their boys just bummed around in stripey tees, baggy jeans and junky loafers.

How many hooker cards did you get? I hit around 200.

20. fuji

fuji Senior member

Lanvin suits are pretty shit. Unless they've improved in the last year or so then they're not that good quality. I know they're made by Caruso, but the quality is much worse then that of Caruso mainline or other RLBL, which is also made by Caruso. Fabric is also from what i've seen pretty shit. Have to disagree with you on pretty much the whole post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.