Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

LOL. I take it that's not Lady Gaga. It would have been a tight fit inside the egg. I watched it muted because I really don't need any shitty pop music stuck in my head right now, so if it was obvious I missed that.

I actually watched it muted too [​IMG]

2. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

LOL

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&sectionsize=#

well no DUR

3. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

Lady Gaga? She's a totally fabricated caricature for marketing purposes and I can't say much for her writing ability but I don't think she's talentless.

Yeah, she probably is good at sucking dick and getting photographed naked in supreme.

4. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

lady gaga owns

also let's do some fit contest again, so help me think of a good theme

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

lady gaga owns also let's do some fit contest again, so help me think of a good theme
    Reading the failure of the break-up thread, a hilariously entertaining one would be "clothes to pick up women in". edit: "clothes to pick up men in" would also be good

6. BB1

BB1 Senior member

You think so? Have you ever seen what her concerts look like? No way that shit is cooked up by scheming music corporation goons (do these even still exist? must have extremely limited imagination). also her music videos. dude.
    I think it is (mostly) cooked-up. There is a huge place in the mainstream marketplace today for things that appear urban, authentic, non-corporate, and non-white. This can be seen in many areas, for example the recent trend of "lifestyle centers" replacing indoor malls. These new outdoor malls are successful because they tap into this desire by attempting to bring an "urban" experience to the suburbs. Why do you find it so difficult to believe that some large corporations may be capable of creating musical content and performance of this type that fools people such as yourself? I suspect you are underestimating these companies abilities, and overestimating the general public's savvy.

7. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

gf looked over as I was laughing at fuuma's FUZZY MOHAIR banana hammock and felt the need to share this with me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Oh I'm not saying she didn't have a role to play in creating her own persona but I do have to think that there has to be some marketing genius behind it all. If I'm wrong then more power to her I guess because damned if it wasn't successful.
    Even if some of her persona existed prior to fame, you can be sure her corporate owners provide her with advisers, wardrobe designers, choreographers, musicians, writers, etc. Nobody can be continually surrounded by all that without being molded into something else. Thus the end result of what we see today as her "persona" may very well be only 20% her doing and 80% due to her corporate master's efforts to shape her.

9. BB1

BB1 Senior member

But if this whole thing were a complete facade put into motion by music industry big wigs, then we would have seen quite a few similar artists churned out. I don't have my finger on the pulse of pop music these days, but I can't offhand think of any female act all that comparable to Gaga to come down the pike in the last decade or two.
    Nobody's claiming it's a complete facade. Obviously there are not others like Gaga because she plays a part in the creation of her character. But once she became intertwined with the commercial interests of the record label, the difference between what is fabricated vs. authentic became blurred. For example, what if it was a corporate adviser who suggested the idea of the egg outfit? Is it a non-facade merely because Gaga had a choice in the matter?

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yeah, shit like showing up to the Grammy's in a giant egg (get on Mork's level, ho) is just attention-seeking stuff, which is the element of her character/act I don't care for. But if this whole thing were a complete facade put into motion by music industry big wigs, then we would have seen quite a few similar artists churned out. I don't have my finger on the pulse of pop music these days, but I can't offhand think of any female act all that comparable to Gaga to come down the pike in the last decade or two. If you want a genuine example of a industry-fabricated success, peep the Bieber. There's nothing inherently interesting or remarkable about him. But he's been marketed perfectly and the success he's enjoying is Gaga-like. It's not genuine, though. It's the sort of production happening on the major label assembly line. I've never indulged any of them to explain why they worship Gaga the way they do, but I've pasted together a theory that it's her whole "Be weird. Be independent. Be a fuckin' rock star" persona that appeals to their impressionable sensibilities.
    Here's the thing though, and this is really what bothers me to the core about Gaga All her attention whoring "boundary pushing" media generating antics are at total odds with her almost painfully derivative music. I'm sure she showed up to her label meeting or w/e in a sequined Star Trek bikini, and the labels heard her derivative music + saw a gold mine. But at the end of the day, to me at least, it's pretty hypocritical to push an image of "weirdness and independence" and then put out the Top 40 tripe she does. If she lived what she repped, she'd dig deeper into her (surprisingly available) talents and make better music, rather than rely on cheap gimmicks to push her brand. It's no different than Christina Aguilera's whole "sexually liberated" persona she pushed. The girl could blow, no pun intended. But for whatever reason she had to totally whore herself out in the media's eye to get publicity. If she had just relied on her natural looks and talents I'm sure she'd have still been a success, but not as big as if she'd whored herself out. Say what you want about pop music in general but it seems to be at an all time low now, and Lady Gaga's shameless embodiment of "style" over substance neatly sums up the root cause. Like all the derivative tripe that preceded her in the '00s her music will be completely forgotten in a few years. And I'm not at all blaming her completely. America's collective ADD is the driving force, with acts like Gaga and Katy Perry being the product. No different from the shitty state of American politics... we get what we ask for.

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Actually, Gaga was pretty much totally invented. She isn't talentless, I spoke too hastily with that; she is a good singer, and if you watch her "pre-Gaga" videos on Youtube the music is quite nice. But ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...lagiarist.html

12. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

lol at article. Man, Gaga, what a contrived thief! Pretty hilarious, people manage to manufacture outrage over this. She is a pop music artist who gained traction with electro-dance-tracks, over the top imagery and pandering to the gay community. Anyway appropriation is a fundamental part of any kind of creativity, especially performance arts.

Here's the thing: no she is obviously not personally responsible for 100% of the persona 'Lady Gaga'. No one makes it that big without getting saddled down just like someone else said. What I think happened is this clearly talented girl decided to "sell out" and do the dance pop thing, and when she started getting big, she got more control and could deploy her own agenda. Could be wrong, but I think she is calling a lot of the shots which is why it's so disparate and all-over-the-place; she really doesn't have a focused image and some aspects show a kind of aesthetic or thematic consistency but then she'll show up with something totally out of left field.

Obviously some people just dislike her, and yeah her music is mostly pretty bad, but I honestly think she is the best pop star we have had since the 90's. Sorry.

re BB1, music industry died years ago, those fuckers have no idea what they're doing. I don't know what you're getting at? We know Gaga's creative team is run by Matthew Williams and Formichetti and others, who are actual video-directors/designers/stylists etc. I guess you're saying this is a marketing ploy?

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Sorry about your loss, ARW.

Also, Mister Mort is my favorite street style blog.

14. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

New Radiohead this weekend holy fuck

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

lol at article. Man, Gaga, what a contrived thief!

I agree that the article as a whole is pretty awful. Who cares if she stole some weird outfit. I just found it interesting that she didn't even like dance music and now it's all she does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.