Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Fok,
    I just find Yoox too overwhelming to even begin digging through--but I can tell there is good stuff buried somewhere. It would be awesome if you shared some of your strategy or tips for digging there.

2. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

I've had a good amount of nice buys ffrom yoox. Gilt is Meh

3. snake

snake Senior member

Gilt on rare occasion has good stuff, but rummaging through Yoox stock is tedious.
    You're a NYC'er, aren't you? Or at least, have taken residency there at one time? Let's not forget that for most of us, trying on anything of better quality than J.Crew requires a stop over at Expedia.com first.
    So true. I'd love to visit NYC this summer and check out all the shops.

4. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

my entire wardrobe is directly or indirectly from gilt [​IMG]

5. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

I find Yoox ridiculously fun. It's not so much like Costco (which has tons of the same stuff) as like rummaging through an enormous Century 21. If you are a sportshopper, it should be your playground (and I am a sport shopper.) I reminds me of hunting out vintage pieces. You really have to know your craft, or the good stuff will slip through your hands while you are paying a premium for a pair of Margiela sneakers or something equally common and lame.

+1--you know that one runway item that looks cool but you could never see yourself paying $1000 for since it looks so ridiculous and situational? love finding that on yoox for $100 during final sale

6. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

So true. I'd love to visit NYC this summer and check out all the shops.

That's what I'm doing this summer (NOTE: I am not just going to NYC in order to shop, that would be lame).

On a different note, here's some random thoughts:
    -The color palette that Bailey used for Burberry Prorsum FW 2006 was awesome. I wish more people would use purples and blues and such like that.
    -Does anyone have any experience with either Simon Spurr or Lad Musician? Any thoughts or feelings or comments on either brand?
    -Someone help me, but I really think that the Versace FW 2011 runway was pretty great. Love all the different textures and patterns - it had a great tactility to it. There's a few clunkers, but the good was really good, I thought.

7. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

plan was to move to London and start an apprenticeship at SR after the bespoke tailoring course but it looks like I'm staying in grad school [​IMG]

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Fok,
    I just find Yoox too overwhelming to even begin digging through--but I can tell there is good stuff buried somewhere. It would be awesome if you shared some of your strategy or tips for digging there.

It's best if you browse through your favourite designers in full and then the next day start sorting out merchandise by latest arrivals. That should help organize stuff IME

9. computurd

computurd Senior member

Not really a fashion thought but this is the feeling I get while lurking the buy/sell/supermarket forums

10. Meis

Meis Senior member

my entire wardrobe is directly or indirectly from gilt [​IMG]

I think 80% or so of my wardrobe is either Gilt/ebay/B&S forum stuff...

11. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

Swag all over SF [​IMG]

12. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

I want to buy black jeans, and am annoyingly torn between DRKSHDW, black overdye petit standards, black Ande Whalls, or some SelfEdge-ish elaborate overdye thing.

Some aesthetic consistency in the things I want would be convenient. Not sure if that's a common experience or not.

13. bryanayrb

bryanayrb Senior member

I want to buy black jeans, and am annoyingly torn between DRKSHDW, black overdye petit standards, black Ande Whalls, or some SelfEdge-ish elaborate overdye thing.

Some aesthetic consistency in the things I want would be convenient. Not sure if that's a common experience or not.

then just buy acne hex cash and dont worry about it

14. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

Acne's black overdyed jeans (hex and cash at least) aren't much better than what you'd find at H&M. They're just too thin, and it isn't very flattering, for me anyway (I own at least 6 pair of Acne jeans and I've got a lot of love for the cuts in general fwiw). I'm looking for another pair of black overdyed jeans myself and so far it's looking like I'll go with Iron Heart. The options for overdyed, substantial denim are fairly limited. If you like the KMW 1980 cut, there's some at Blue Owl worth checking out. I'm waiting to hear back from Blake about some RRL Slim Fit ODs (whether they make them in that cut or not).

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

never had johnnie walker before but fucking shit. johnnie walker black tastes like asshole. gonna kill the friend who told me it was good for drinking straight or with a bit of water. will just save it for mixing for cocktails or something. Anyone want to trade a bottle of laphroaig or lagavulin for some of my nice clothes i don't wear anymore? i'm dry right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.