• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fok,
I just find Yoox too overwhelming to even begin digging through--but I can tell there is good stuff buried somewhere. It would be awesome if you shared some of your strategy or tips for digging there.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a good amount of nice buys ffrom yoox. Gilt is Meh

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt on rare occasion has good stuff, but rummaging through Yoox stock is tedious.
Originally Posted by APK
You're a NYC'er, aren't you? Or at least, have taken residency there at one time? Let's not forget that for most of us, trying on anything of better quality than J.Crew requires a stop over at Expedia.com first.
So true. I'd love to visit NYC this summer and check out all the shops.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my entire wardrobe is directly or indirectly from gilt
frown.gif

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I find Yoox ridiculously fun. It's not so much like Costco (which has tons of the same stuff) as like rummaging through an enormous Century 21. If you are a sportshopper, it should be your playground (and I am a sport shopper.) I reminds me of hunting out vintage pieces. You really have to know your craft, or the good stuff will slip through your hands while you are paying a premium for a pair of Margiela sneakers or something equally common and lame.

+1--you know that one runway item that looks cool but you could never see yourself paying $1000 for since it looks so ridiculous and situational? love finding that on yoox for $100 during final sale

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
So true. I'd love to visit NYC this summer and check out all the shops.

That's what I'm doing this summer (NOTE: I am not just going to NYC in order to shop, that would be lame).

On a different note, here's some random thoughts:
-The color palette that Bailey used for Burberry Prorsum FW 2006 was awesome. I wish more people would use purples and blues and such like that.
-Does anyone have any experience with either Simon Spurr or Lad Musician? Any thoughts or feelings or comments on either brand?
-Someone help me, but I really think that the Versace FW 2011 runway was pretty great. Love all the different textures and patterns - it had a great tactility to it. There's a few clunkers, but the good was really good, I thought.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
plan was to move to London and start an apprenticeship at SR after the bespoke tailoring course but it looks like I'm staying in grad school
ffffuuuu.gif

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
Fok,
I just find Yoox too overwhelming to even begin digging through--but I can tell there is good stuff buried somewhere. It would be awesome if you shared some of your strategy or tips for digging there.

It's best if you browse through your favourite designers in full and then the next day start sorting out merchandise by latest arrivals. That should help organize stuff IME

computurd

Reaction score
Not really a fashion thought but this is the feeling I get while lurking the buy/sell/supermarket forums

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
my entire wardrobe is directly or indirectly from gilt
frown.gif

I think 80% or so of my wardrobe is either Gilt/ebay/B&S forum stuff...

reprehensible

Reaction score
I want to buy black jeans, and am annoyingly torn between DRKSHDW, black overdye petit standards, black Ande Whalls, or some SelfEdge-ish elaborate overdye thing.

Some aesthetic consistency in the things I want would be convenient. Not sure if that's a common experience or not.

bryanayrb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
I want to buy black jeans, and am annoyingly torn between DRKSHDW, black overdye petit standards, black Ande Whalls, or some SelfEdge-ish elaborate overdye thing.

Some aesthetic consistency in the things I want would be convenient. Not sure if that's a common experience or not.

then just buy acne hex cash and dont worry about it

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acne's black overdyed jeans (hex and cash at least) aren't much better than what you'd find at H&M. They're just too thin, and it isn't very flattering, for me anyway (I own at least 6 pair of Acne jeans and I've got a lot of love for the cuts in general fwiw). I'm looking for another pair of black overdyed jeans myself and so far it's looking like I'll go with Iron Heart. The options for overdyed, substantial denim are fairly limited. If you like the KMW 1980 cut, there's some at Blue Owl worth checking out. I'm waiting to hear back from Blake about some RRL Slim Fit ODs (whether they make them in that cut or not).

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
never had johnnie walker before but ******* ****. johnnie walker black tastes like asshole. gonna kill the friend who told me it was good for drinking straight or with a bit of water. will just save it for mixing for cocktails or something. Anyone want to trade a bottle of laphroaig or lagavulin for some of my nice clothes i don't wear anymore? i'm dry right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads