Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

i like the yoox box [​IMG]

2. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I've actually never ordered anything from yoox. The pieces their buyers choose just seem bizarre, almost like a collection of leftovers from somewhere else.

And while I feel yoox is definitely better than bluefly, the two stores strongly remind me of each other. Mannequin after mannequin wearing some "famous" runway brand, often with huge markdowns and only a few L to XL sizes of most pieces remaining in stock.

These stores are an attempt to make higher end labels more accessible to the everyman, but in the process they have cheapened it. I like cheap prices too, but what they have done to achieve this is just unacceptable. Shopping at yoox makes me feel like I'm shopping at a fashion equivalent of Costco, with all the pros and cons that come with that.

And Gilt is similar. It would be funny if we could browse through a collection of fit pics from every customer of Gilt wearing the outfits they purchased there. I'll be willing to bet the majority of them look awful.

3. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

I've actually never ordered anything from yoox. The pieces their buyers choose just seem bizarre, almost like a collection of leftovers from somewhere else.

Leftovers from The Corner, to be precise

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

leftovers from everywhere actually

5. DLester

DLester Senior member

99.99% of yoox is disgusting. Yoox is better than Gilt because you can return yoox purchases. I return at least half of mine. I really like what I have kept.
    leftovers from everywhere actually
    yep they are leftovers

6. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

how can online clothes shopping be successful?

everyone wants to spend a grip but wont take a risk.

7. DLester

DLester Senior member

how can online clothes shopping be successful?

everyone wants to spend a grip but wont take a risk.

buy from someplace that will accept returns.

or buy something at a price you know you could flip it for.

8. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

buy from someplace that will accept returns. or buy something at a price you know you could flip it for.
    exactly what i'm saying, it's never going to be successful in the sense that the "success rate" will be generally lower than shopping in an actual store. people don't take into account that buying something online and then having to flip or return it ties your money up. you couldve been doing something else with that. best left to buying stuff you have already tried or brands you already know. even then shit can go wrong.

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

Or buy from some place that has reliable measurements, which is almost nowhere.

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Or try on shit at stores before a gilt sale. Or, know your size in a particular brand.

11. wangvicous

wangvicous Senior member

I have a generally good success rate online shopping, I stay away from gilt and yoox though. I tend to be a little OCD about getting measurements though. I'm also in NYC so most of the time if I'm really worried about sizing I can go and see it in person.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Or try on shit at stores before a gilt sale. Or, know your size in a particular brand.

Even within brands sizing seems to vary a lot [​IMG]

13. APK

APK Senior member

exactly what i'm saying, it's never going to be successful in the sense that the "success rate" will be generally lower than shopping in an actual store.

people don't take into account that buying something online and then having to flip or return it ties your money up. you couldve been doing something else with that.

best left to buying stuff you have already tried or brands you already know. even then shit can go wrong.

You're a NYC'er, aren't you? Or at least, have taken residency there at one time? Let's not forget that for most of us, trying on anything of better quality than J.Crew requires a stop over at Expedia.com first.

14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I think we're all familiar with the benefits of online shopping

It just requires patience

And more patience

And more patience

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I find Yoox ridiculously fun. It's not so much like Costco (which has tons of the same stuff) as like rummaging through an enormous Century 21. If you are a sportshopper, it should be your playground (and I am a sport shopper.) I reminds me of hunting out vintage pieces. You really have to know your craft, or the good stuff will slip through your hands while you are paying a premium for a pair of Margiela sneakers or something equally common and lame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.