Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

^ Saw the usher jawns, I think they are actually kinda cool but to each his own. I wish the lace area wasn't a slit....

2. rustyshack

rustyshack Well-Known Member

Oh damns...it lost credibility right when he listed 'decor' as a 'key factor'.

Neat article, but the logic is not air-tight. :-/

How is it unreasonable to expect a store that is in the business of selling designed products to focus on decor? It's the first chance they get to show the customer that they know what they're talking about.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Seriously? It's marketing; it has no bearing on the clothing. It's there to separate the weak-minded from their money, nothing more. It's like claiming you'll get a better haircut at Toni & Guy because they put everything into marketing and store design.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Seriously? It's marketing; it has no bearing on the clothing. It's there to separate the weak-minded from their money, nothing more. It's like claiming you'll get a better haircut at Toni & Guy because they put everything into marketing and store design.

Shopping experience is part of what makes going to a store rewarding. It might not be as important as your own home decor but I like boutiques I shop at to look nice.

5. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

you've never heard of "lifestyle brands" before?

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

you've never heard of "lifestyle brands" before?
    Ha ha. I was hoping someone would bump the Vineyard Vines thread... I meant to add that store design also makes little sense because 99% of the Houston audience will make their purchases online.

7. snake

snake Senior member

^ Sick ass dance moves though.
    I liked his VMA performance better. The halftime show was pretty good I thought.

8. APK

APK Senior member

I live in Michigan, so the J. Crew outlet is about as "fancy" of a menswear shopping experience as I'll get without making a long drive. I've had the pleasure of hitting up several independent menswear shops during my trips to NYC, though, and store presentation absolutely adds to the overall experience.

It may sound snooty to expect buying a pair of pants to come as part of some memorable experience, but when you shop at venues such as the ones listed in the article, that's what you get. Perhaps I'm biased, since I tend to romanticize the notion of the independent shop, but walking into Epaulet isn't comparable to running into the Gap or even Uniqlo.

Presentation is part of what keeps you from blowing through a shop such as Self Edge or Epaulet in five minutes. Their small shops, especially compared to the big-box clothing options. But everything in these shops, from the garments to the hooks their on to the wall decor is part of what shapes that boutique's sense of identity.

You may get an inexpensive shirt at Uniqlo, but there's none of that presentation. More often than not, you're just another faceless dude elbow-to-elbow with over faceless dudes picking through hundreds of items like some animal rummaging through the dumpster.

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I liked his VMA performance better.

The halftime show was pretty good I thought.

The only good halftime show was Prince (fuck yeah dong guitar). At least the game was good. Summed up in a single .gif:
    [​IMG]

10. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

I was listening to some old kid cudi stuff earlier this week. Interesting how he went from rapping about 501s on A Kid Named Cudi to talking about diors on MOTMII.

11. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

After drinking and bro'ing out with opening ceremony's employees, I proceeded to whoop the shit out of their stock team in arm wrestling.

12. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

The halftime show was pretty good I thought.

[​IMG]

13. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Perhaps I'm biased, since I tend to romanticize the notion of the independent shop, but walking into Epaulet isn't comparable to running into the Gap or even Uniqlo.

Presentation is part of what keeps you from blowing through a shop such as Self Edge or Epaulet in five minutes. Their small shops, especially compared to the big-box clothing options. But everything in these shops, from the garments to the hooks their on to the wall decor is part of what shapes that boutique's sense of identity.

+1. Context is well worth the drive to Madison from Chicago or Milwaukee for this exact reason.

14. Snakeyes

Snakeyes Active Member

Tim Hamilton had a leather jacket like this. Best leather I've ever seen but out of my price range, even on sale, and hard to find because it was the shit. Found link: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Tim_...ket_12720.html [​IMG]
    Interesting, thanks for posting this. My design has different elements to it but the zipper concept is similar.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

After drinking and bro'ing out with opening ceremony's employees, I proceeded to whoop the shit out of their stock team in arm wrestling.

I don't imagine this was especially difficult?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.