Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Walk around the club, bump errrbody
    Can't see can't speak bump errbody

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

She said look ma no hand, she said look ma no hands
    And no darlin' I don't dance and I'm wit Eason I'm with Kelvin
    I think I deserve a chance
    Imma bad motha fucka go and ask them mothafuckas

3. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

She said look ma no hand, she said look ma no hands
    And no darlin' I don't dance and I'm wit Eason I'm with Kelvin
    I think I deserve a chance
    Imma bad motha fucka go and ask them mothafuckas

For real, tell me how you a thug and you Superman ? [​IMG]
    I just seen you in the club doin' the Supaman... [​IMG]

4. Lane

Lane Senior member

teach me how to dougie

5. Neo_Version 7

For real, tell me how you a thug and you Superman ? [​IMG]
    I just seen you in the club doin' the Supaman... [​IMG]

Why would I change? I didn't step out of Superman's phone booth
    To remind where I'm from, I look at my own tooth
    I'm speakin' the known truth
    I ain't been living the same, since I moved under Silvia Rone's roof

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Can someone find those hilarious sketches softy did a while back

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I'm not doing super RO, just going for more interesting pieces for legwear. I definitely think i could pull of a ToJ/Tshirt/DRKSHDW/Boots look

just get some gray denim, W+H or N&F weird guy gray selvedge.

"Minimalism is not a style, it is an attitude, a way of being. It's a fundamental reaction against noise, visual noise, disorder, vulgarity. Minimalism is the pursuit of the essence of things, not the appearance." Claudio Silvestrin

Minimalism can be fine but 99% of the time it's just as pretentious if not more than what it claims to rebel against.

"the essence of things, not the appearance" is such a bullshit idea.

To say that minimalism is a reaction against things is an admission that it's dependent upon a comparison with vulgar maximal-ism to be valid.

8. wangvicous

wangvicous Senior member

just get some gray denim, W+H or N&F weird guy gray selvedge.

Minimalism can be fine but 99% of the time it's just as pretentious if not more than what it claims to rebel against.

"the essence of things, not the appearance" is such a bullshit idea.

To say that minimalism is a reaction against things is an admission that it's dependent upon a comparison with vulgar maximal-ism to be valid.

Pretty much and I completely agree. Its not more intellectual, its all just personal preference. If anything taking care to actually make a choice is the most important part. I just included the quote because it really hit home the first time I saw it.

9. DLester

DLester Senior member

what is the basis for this claim? (maybe I shouldn't ask . . . )

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I think ppl who make blogs about their minimalism quests are who hendrix speaks of

I def don't think they make up 99% of minimalists though... prob just seems that way on the internet

11. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

what is the basis for this claim? (maybe I shouldn't ask . . . )
    same as in clothing "I wear plain tees and raw denim because graphic tees and prewashed denim are garish" is an example. People have been told that shit with a pattern or any complexity is garish and ugly, so they go on perpetuating this myth, when really who's the pretentious one? someone who wears loud and garish clothing because they like it? or someone who wears plain clothes because they so that they can say other stuff is ostentatious and snear at it. please don't take this as me hating on raw denim or plain tees, it's just that a lot of people justify raw denim in this way, rather than just saying the best answer which is "I like it". It happens all over in art and architecture and music. Miles Davis' invention of modal jazz was reactionary to the hugely harmonically complex bebop (i think Charlie Parker said that he invented bebop because he thought it'd be too difficult for white musicians to copy). Which was cool in context, but also good to listen to just for the fact that it's nice music (i.e. simplicity was the point, but it's still good in its own light). Also notice that he didn't stick with it (hard bop in the sixties, fusion etc) or try to justify it by saying that bebop was in bad taste. Too many artists took the wrong point to heart and exaggerated the simplicity for the point of simplicity, thinking they were making some type of statement, when all they were really doing was making boring music. quick version I guess what i'm saying is that minimalism (and maximal-ism) are fine if they can look (sound, taste, smell) good on their own and aren't a pretentious attempt to slander their counterpoints. This video posted recently demonstrates exactly the douches that advocate the all-too-common false minimalism:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

12. Neo_Version 7

^ Shit. I was all over The Hurts last summer.

"NEver give up..it's such a wonderful lifeeee.."

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I think ppl who make blogs about their minimalism quests are who hendrix speaks of

I def don't think they make up 99% of minimalists though... prob just seems that way on the internet

yeah, i was exaggerating.

also, gosh who would've thought that i actually miss writing essays. Need to get back to uni so i can unleash my inner Xenox

14. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

Why would I change? I didn't step out of Superman's phone booth
    To remind where I'm from, I look at my own tooth
    I'm speakin' the known truth
    I ain't been living the same, since I moved under Silvia Rone's roof

I'm most hated, most def, but I'm most def one of the most def, with exception to Mos Def...
    Correction: I'm most def one of the most with depth, but most slept, cuz I prolly went over most heads...

15. Lel

Lel Senior member

Hmm, kind of curious, what kind of service do you expect from an SA at a store? Not a commissions based Barneys store, but also not something like H&M either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.