Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

scott.m can never help sampling the goods at work. Don't start pushin dude
    This is far too true. I take in the best of everything I'm a part of, but fuck if I dealt I'd be dead in a week flat.

Nicer sheets and other things that add to your personal comfort, I can get with. But I'm good with the type of dishware you'd find at Target and shit; not going to drop jaws, but still nice looking.

I want fucking crystal rocks glasses and tumblers man.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I just don't see the point of living with all Ikea and having nice electronics and nice clothing. Why not invest in nicer sheets and dishware? Gotta step the game up, bro.
    There's some places to spend and some not to. Bedsheets are worth investing in. Dishes, not so much. Furniture, definitely worth it. I've destroyed nearly every Ikea piece I've owned by moving once a year since 2006 or so. There's a lot of expensive shit out there but not all of it is worth it.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

This is typically what happens when I go out and shop around town. Internet shopping ftw
    As much as Kunk laughs as the majority of SF for using the internet as a fashion resource, well, this is the alternative...
    Funny thing is while I could make pretty steezy fits (up to a point obviously and nowhere near my current level) there are so many of each piece being made in some chinese factory you will see people in the store copping or trying on the same shit as you so there is zero originality in the items you buy. Not to mention the quality is garbage and fits are never on point in buying mass produced clothes. I have no desire to live outside of southern california, ever. Pimp furniture, glassware, rugs, pimp errything.

4. Nil

Nil Senior member

This is pretty much my ideal scenario, at least, at this stage in my life. I've had to move twice in my life and it's been a HUGE pain in the ass because of the absurd quantity of things I own.

I moved every year in undergrad and the few years afterward. When I moved to my current cty I jettisoned basically everything I owned and started anew with minimal items. It works so much better and I feel much freer from my possessions.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

I just don't see the point of living with all Ikea and having nice electronics and nice clothing. Why not invest in nicer sheets and dishware? Gotta step the game up, bro.
    I agree with you if you were to focus on interior design, but maybe our mentality is different because of our situations even though we are the same age. I definitely am going to invest in the interior of whatever living space I own as I like furniture design as well. However, with everything else I have rather simple tastes. I plan to live in NYC, and will be fine with a tiny ass place because I've lived in big homes before and its not that special to me. Feels like a waste of space, and its unappealing to me now that I've been living in a much smaller place for the last few years. I definitely won't settle for an ugly living space though when I get a real income, and am out of college.

6. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

I don't even want a big home, I'm satisfied with modesty (in size, not quality). I'm not asking for anything insane, I'm just asking to get my grown ass man on, ya dig?

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

"Stuff" piles up very quickly once you stop moving around so much. You think "I'll be fine with one good pan, one good pot, and enough plates/forks for me and my girl." And then you want a nonstick so doing dishes is easier. And then you want a dutch oven to make some good stew. And another knife because the "ideal chef's knife" you got isn't great for peeling potatoes. And it continues... If not kitchen stuff then bed/sheets/blankets; if not that then furniture; or electronics, etc. Jealous of people who lead truly minimal lifestyles, but it's a struggle.

I think kunk recently responded to someone asking about his car with "It's great, but like everything else now it's just another thing." Totally understood where he was coming from.

Rich people problems. [​IMG]

8. Brothersport

Brothersport Senior member

Know what you mean, but even beyond the physical hassles of moving your shit: you're young and just started your job in NYC, don't you think you're gonna move out of your place reasonably soon/frequently? Is it worth putting down major dough for furniture that might not fit your next home at all?

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I think minimalism for nothing other than the ability to say "I have one fork" is silly. I like having multiple forks. But when stuff becomes a burden instead of an asset, time to toss it. In my last place I had a car and so many spare parts for it I had to get a storage unit for it. When I finally cleared that shit out and got rid of the heap it was like a weight was lifted. But on the flip side, I like having more than one coat, or multiple camera lenses that serve different purposes. This minimalist craze is silly IMO.

11. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

These are dope, what are they? I've been really into the idea of creepers lately for some reason. I kinda hate the collection, but these creepers from Prada are pretty neat:
    [​IMG]

5cm x George Cox creepers

http://hypebeast.com/2011/01/5cm-x-g...-creeper-boot/

12. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

I gotta admit, I spend a disgusting sum of money on clothing for my age, I think I am going to buy a lot less clothing in 2011 and start stepping up my lifestyle game, time to start copping that furniture, sculpture, rug swag.

+1 except the furniture part

13. cez

cez Senior member

I'm not doing super RO, just going for more interesting pieces for legwear. I definitely think i could pull of a ToJ/Tshirt/DRKSHDW/Boots look

i love RO but not sure it would work for someone with your stature.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Oh i fully agree. I'm talking more these: [​IMG] Which I'd have a much easier time pulling off than these: [​IMG] I think the point of a lot of DRKSHDW peices is that they're not nearly as hard to wear as mainline RO, as evidenced by the much more mainstream silhouette. I could be wrong, as I haven't handled/tried on any RO denim, but those look like a really grungily styled Petite Standard rather than some paradigm-shifting drape stuff that would look like i was wearing curtains 'cause i'm a shorty.

15. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

It's all about what maintaining what is pleasing to you, it doesn't have to be a lot or a little. I live in NYC and started off totally minimalist to give it a shot, which really wasn't fun at all. Especially like some of these guys if you love cooking, you won't care about what a pain in the ass it will be to move that dutch oven, it's the one that makes you those momofuku brussels sprouts.

I moved to Hoboken, NJ a year ago becuase thats where my current office is, and since I have a much larger space now (not exactly baller, but 900+sq feet in a 2 bedroom, my only roommate is my gf and the second room is our office)

It's been really nice to turn it into a "home" by filling the space with things that make you comfortable to be around, and avoiding those that are just clutter. I love that I spent the time painting a few of the rooms in a pleasing way. I love that the mantle above the bedroom fireplace is full of things that are meaningful to us - they don't come across as clutter because it adds to the ambiance. I love that I have a place to store a few sets of nice sheets that I can launder myself instead of having crap that I know the laundromat will ruin. I had a car here for a while but it just becomes such a pain in the ass, so I lost it. But now I have an incredible kitchen and I have no problems filling it with good cookware and appliances. I love having furniture nice enough that I make sure to take off my unwashed jeans before I even go near it.

It's not bad to have "stuff", just make sure it's stuff that fulfills you in some way, and when it ceases to, don't be afraid to let go.

But fuck, I hate that my address reads NJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.