• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's another run of those Apolis briefcases that had the internet going bananas a year ago because they were allegedly a one-off. What's this, the third wave of these stupid things?

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lane is more or less just parroting a discussion about celebrities in ccp that went on a week or two ago on sz. personally i dont give a **** who wears what. i think taylor swift looks awesome in that pic, red beanie is cute

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
How do you know? How would Brad Pitt even know who Carol Christian Poell was if he wasn't interested in the clothes? Celebrities are real people you know, some of them have hobbies, a select few of those hobbies are not cocaine. And isn't part of the fun of the "dark avant-garde" wardrobe (to which, I'd argue, neither of those adjectives apply) standing out from the crowd? At least for some practitioners? And why would "respect for" or "loyalty to" any brand be a good thing? And don't you violate your own principles by wearing Julius and whatever else with brands like All Saints?
not all celebrities are the way I described. However, I highly doubt when kanye west puts on his RO **** he takes it seriously....for example. I dunno, ask people who fit under "dark avant-garde" or other umbrella terms you'd like to pigeonhole me with. Its not about loyalty. It's just the fact that celebrities wear things because of the price tag, since they don't all put value behind the garment. Wearing RO to them is the same as wearing Marc Jacobs. Most of them have stylists that try to make them look different, and edgy by constantly changing their "style." They put no value in each individual item they buy since its all disposable to them until the next hot thing is out. I've never worn julius with allsaints or even own much Julius anymore. I don't see what "principles" I've been violating by buying Julius and allsaints, maybe RO but not the former. Plus, in my defense I didn't know RO existed when I bought lots of AS. Not like I'm gonna toss my clothes in the trash cuz of some sense of integrity.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
However, I highly doubt when kanye west puts on his RO **** he takes it seriously....for example.

rotflmao.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jude law is a big ccp fan and has been wearing it for years, i dont think he even has a stylist

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, its not like I grind my teeth when I see one of them wearing that stuff. Maybe, I'm just different from you guys in that I don't *** in my pants when I see them wearing luxury items; I don't need validation from celebrities/pop culture.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true, Jude Law and Kanye make me bust a nut.

dls6128

Reaction score
lol, its not like I grind my teeth when I see one of them wearing that stuff. Maybe, I'm just different from you guys in that I don't *** in my pants when I see them wearing luxury items; I don't need validation from celebrities/pop culture.
the issue isn't about needing validation, it's about you thinking you're somehow better than people who don't 'take fashion seriously'

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not saying that.....quit putting words in my mouth. I just value those brands highly and respect the designers, and I don't want some CWG wearing it just to look different and basically **** all over the aesthetic that was created.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lane is the indie rock pete of styleforum

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not saying that.....quit putting words in my mouth. I just value those brands highly and respect the designers, and I don't want some CWG wearing it just to look different and basically **** all over the aesthetic that was created.

Fashion is just as artistically legitimate as sculpture or oils on canvas but it is a different idiom, with different facets, assumptions, and compromises. One of those compromises is that you don't get to pick the people representing your work.

You remind me of those people who hated it when Explosions in the Sky did the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights -- "God, now all the normal people are going to listen to them."

And I'd say you shoved some words in my mouth when you talked about how I needed to see celebrities in my clothes to feel validated. I'm in the same exclusionist boat as you -- I just recognize that it's a ****** thing for me to think.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
She is literally signed to a label called Big Machine Records. I've heard chiptunes that were more honest and organic.

haha, yeah by honest i meant "This is obviously the most commercial stuff you're ever gonna hear in your life but at least i'm not pretending I'm doing anything different and at least i do actually have some genuine talent unlike [insert teen pop icon here]"

It's not the stuff i normally like. I go through phases of hardbop jazz to death and thrash metal to mathcore, but sometimes i find the time to just enjoy an indulgent pop song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads