• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate what clarks desert boots have come to represent.

They were a good, comfortable, mil-spec-derived shoe. A common shoe for mods. And they're not even cheap. Now they're the default for people moving beyond running shoes and the guy who bombed the forum this morning. Ugh.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
It's like the holidays bring out all the ******* marsupials.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide

-sweatpants
Omg. sweatpants. Gasp. Despise. Who on earth would wear, and more importantly, why? Despise, despise, despise.
-boat shoes Like seriously. Do they still even make boats?
-loafers Ya. Lol @ loafers. I feel bad for some 9-5 schmuck who wears those POS's.
-polos
-hiking/work boots YES. This is a big one for me. I DESPISE hiking boots too. Like really, yeah, you're going to go "hiking" somewhere. Haha. Ridiculous.
-clarks This truly takes the cake imo. Clarks? DBs? How ******* pedestrian. Stupid ******* broke college kids with no money to buy $300+ white high tops.
Get the **** over yourselves.

If you've seen a Fuuma fit you would understand why he didn't like these things. FWIW a lot of people dislike some of these things because they've become supersaturated in the "anti-fashion-but-really-fashion" climate. Clarks are pretty bad and pedestrian, you don't even need CPs to do better than that you just need some Vans or something.

To blanket statement that you "despise" a grouping of items that are relatively wide ranged and not correlated (e.g. sweat pants and loafers), while following suit of opinion of several before you, is funny, to me. For various reasons. That I could go on to explain, but am trying to refrain from typing paragraphs on the internet.

Fuuma is not one of those slack-jawed forumthink followers. I am, you could say that about me, but he kind of does his own thing.

Suffice to say, your satirical generalizations of forum thought were marsupialed - I had to skip over this pretentious jargon.

**** you for dismissing totally straightforward language as "pretentious" because it has several syllables. "Suffice to say" is kind of obnoxious, but "satirical" and "generalizations" are both the right word to use, although I would probably say "parodic" instead of "satirical".

It sucks that the forum (and most communities, in general) are wary and dismissive of new members, especially ones who come on strong with the iconoclasty (iconoclasm? someone help me out here. this is "pretentious jargon" btw), but honestly if you rein it in a little and don't entirely dismiss things you don't understand I think you'd be fine.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man bruhs was all chillin till you came over and brought your fancy language into this.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Curious to know if he bought quoddys before coming onto this site and reading about them.

and lol @ desert boots, they're like the training wheels of the boot world

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
and lol @ desert boots, they're like the training wheels of the boot world

llolollolololllolololl

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Makeshift, you give slack tide too much credit.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
s Slack Tide Kent's ever-so-slightly more intelligent brother?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
It's like the holidays bring out all the ******* marsupials.

Hi, I haven't seen you around.

Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Fuuma is not one of those slack-jawed forumthink followers. I am, you could say that about me, but he kind of does his own thing.

FTR, I was not referring to Fuuma. I respect his opinion a lot and he has a lot of interesting and valid things to say. I learned this when reading his postings as the ROY jeans thread was developing and he justly defended the SE proprietor with well thought out ideas and thorough command of English diction. I will always stop to read his posts. My comment was directed towards another member who in my opinion blindly co-signed the disliking of every item on the list, as if it were a game of follow the leader.

**** you for dismissing totally straightforward language as "pretentious" because it has several syllables. "Suffice to say" is kind of obnoxious, but "satirical" and "generalizations" are both the right word to use, although I would probably say "parodic" instead of "satirical".

To me this was forum jargon. I may not have gone to some fancy pants institute of higher learning, or any education for that matter - but I know if I read something twice and it still leaves me shaking my god damn head in bewilderment, then it's null and void.

but thank you, makeshift_robot, for your earnest reply. It's a refreshing change of pace. As quite frankly I was on the verge of ******** blood after handling this mornings crisis. I haven't managed to do an ounce of work in the wake of all of this internet posting.

It sucks that the forum (and most communities, in general) are wary and dismissive of new members, especially ones who come on strong with the iconoclasty (iconoclasm? someone help me out here. this is "pretentious jargon" btw), but honestly if you rein it in a little and don't entirely dismiss things you don't understand I think you'd be fine.

The nature of the beast i.e. forum. No one likes a noob challenging status quo environments are being particularly assertive. It threatens the established ranks that members have posted vast amounts of snarky replies to attain.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
To me this was forum jargon. I may not have gone to some fancy pants institute of higher learning, or any education for that matter - but I know if I read something twice and it still leaves me shaking my god damn head in bewilderment, then it's null and void.

open a ******* dictionary then

also lol at "fancy pants institute of higher learning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads