• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
i just discovered that if you click on the number under replies you get a list of who's posted how many times. uncontrol dominates every thread
Ebay thread is all me, brah. Also, I'm top 3 in every sticky (and for anyone who wants to ever chime in and say that I'm so unhelpful, feel free to top my Ask A Question post count). It's entertaining to see just how much of a postwhore I really am

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by + theom
I'm sorry Blackbird Ballard but really? REALLY? http://www.blackbirdballard.com/3six...igo_18515.html vs http://www.revolveclothing.com/brand...xteen.jsp?&d=b http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=438 and you don't even offer free shipping.
True, Blackbird's pricing is not very competitive. But there is an upside to this for some customers...... If you're willing to pay 10% higher prices, you can likely still buy your size in those jeans. Whereas all Revolve has left is the largest sizes. A cheap price is of little benefit if you cannot even find your size. It's similar to paying for a mooring spot in the boat harbor. The government run docks are far cheaper than the private ones. But try getting a spot there-- where I live they have a 15 year waiting list! But there are private harbors with so-called "rip off" prices where you can get a spot tomorrow with no wait. Perhaps Blackbird's strategy is to attract a different type of customer than the type that would shop at Revolve. This is a smart move since there is no way they can effectively compete against Revolve.

Binker

Reaction score
not much of a strategy though is it, charging a slightly higher markup so you sell out of less of your inventory in order to attract the reduced pool of buyers who weren't able to purchase the particular item at one of the multiple competitively price webstores in which it was available

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Perhaps Blackbird's strategy is to attract a different type of customer than the type that would shop at Revolve. This is a smart move since there is no way they can effectively compete against Revolve.

sorry but this is the worst logic.

"we'll attract more customers because we always have stuff in stock because we.........sell less"

there is a way to effectively compete against revolve. Sell the jeans at the same or cheaper prices, and/or get more effective advertising.

Binker

Reaction score
i mean realistically blackbird cannot compete with revolve on items/brands that they both stock. revolve just does way more volume than them and thus are able to offer consistently low end retail prices, along with free shipping, a pretty much constant 20% off code, frequent deep sales, and probably the best customer service/return policy of any online retailer. good news is revolve mostly stocks ****. their best bet here is probably to just offer the jeans at what is obviously the suggested retail price. but blackbird seems to consistently charge about 15% more than even comparatively sized web stores
eh.gif

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Binker
not much of a strategy though is it, charging a slightly higher markup so you sell out of less of your inventory in order to attract the reduced pool of buyers who weren't able to purchase the particular item at one of the multiple competitively price webstores in which it was available

I never said Blackbird's sales were heavily driven by customers who had been looking to purchase the same product from other webstores (but found it was already sold out). I was merely describing a case where higher prices may sometimes offer a benefit to select customers.

Often there are a limited number of buyers whom will purchase a specific designer piece and the production quantities of the piece are limited. By pricing the product higher, Blackbird makes it obvious they desire to cherry pick the best customers-- i.e. those who are willing to pay the most. By contrast, Revolve is almost like a bottom feeder attracting the price sensitive customer with their constant 20% to 30% off discount coupons.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Binker
i mean realistically blackbird cannot compete with revolve on items/brands that they both stock. revolve just does way more volume than them and thus are able to offer consistently low end retail prices, along with free shipping, a pretty much constant 20% off code, frequent deep sales, and probably the best customer service/return policy of any online retailer. good news is revolve mostly stocks ****.

their best bet here is probably to just offer the jeans at what is obviously the suggested retail price. but blackbird seems to consistently charge about 15% more than even comparatively sized web stores
eh.gif

I'm not so sure your lower priced strategy would benefit them.

If you watch their inventory vs. prices (as displayed on their web site), it's obvious they manage to sell a very high percentage of their products at these marked up prices.

Also consider that they have managed to survive and expand in tough economic times, and they did not have to resort lower prices to achieve that.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
sorry but this is the worst logic. "we'll attract more customers because we always have stuff in stock because we.........sell less" there is a way to effectively compete against revolve. Sell the jeans at the same or cheaper prices, and/or get more effective advertising.
First off, I never said that quote. That is Binker's interpretation of what I said, which I do not agree with. Although it would be more accurate if you replaced "more customers" with "higher profit margin customers". And your idea of them attempting to compete against Revolve by lowering prices would be a huge mistake. All your arguments are based on the incorrect assumption that having the lowest prices is the key to generating sales.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
As I learned with Somet, Japanese denim is too expensive if you don't know how much heavier/lighter you're going to be for the next 2 years...

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Often there are a limited number of buyers whom will purchase a specific designer piece and the production quantities of the piece are limited. By pricing the product higher, Blackbird makes it obvious they desire to cherry pick the best customers-- i.e. those who are willing to pay the most. By contrast, Revolve is almost like a bottom feeder attracting the price sensitive customer with their constant 20% to 30% off discount coupons.
No this really doesn't work. The price insensitive customers won't avoid revolve, but the price sensitive customers will avoid blackbird. "By pricing the product higher, Blackbird makes it obvious they desire to cherry pick the best customers-- i.e. those who are willing to pay the most" well, this doesn't help. think about it man, even if they are "cherry picking", they're still making less sales (given at a higher profit margin). The "best customers" won't stop buying product if the price drops. They may keep the best customers, but they'll lose the "bad customers", whereas revolve will get both. Also, i can see how that might work if you were stocking more expensive products (, but not when you're simply selling the same product for more.
Originally Posted by BB1
First off, I never said that quote. That is Binker's interpretation of what I said, which I do not agree with. Although it would be more accurate if you replaced "more customers" with "higher profit margin customers". And your idea of them attempting to compete against Revolve by lowering prices would be a huge mistake. All your arguments are based on the incorrect assumption that having the lowest prices is the key to generating sales.
The "higher profit margin customers" argument would be feasible if blackbird was simply selling different, more expensive items, but not when it's the same item at a mark up. If my interpretation is correct, you're saying that Blackbird aims to make profit by having a smaller turnover, but a higher profit margin. But that doesn't work. Blackbird will be in competition with revolve whether they like it or not. The end result is, the cheap customer will buy from revolve, and the expensive customer will buy from revolve or blackbird, but most likely revolve. anyway this is real armchair stuff and it's 2.30am.

Binker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
If you watch their inventory vs. prices (as displayed on their web site), it's obvious they manage to sell a very high percentage of their products at these marked up prices.
Do they? I don't follow/visit Blackbird, my understanding based on your initial post was that, in comparison to cheaper retailers, they have a high availability of various sizes. Indeed, I see no other way to interpret your comments and your analogy other than as speculation that it is part of Blackbirds business strategy to price their items higher, knowingly and deliberately maintaining stock availability longer/not selling out as quickly. By doing so, they would presumably limit their appeal to the total pool of potential buyers but perhaps create situations in which they are "the only game in town" so to speak, and, eventually, make slightly more per transaction. Given the widespread availability of the generally mid-tier brands that they stock, the increased overhead costs of doing lower volume, etc, I doubt this is optimal business strategy, but, hey, I don't know their numbers, and, yes, they are still in business, so who knows. The notion of keeping prices high in order to attract the "best" customers I'm not sure applies well to blackbird, as they're largely a retailer of mid-tier brands, which would seem to appeal to the fashion conscious everyman for whom the lowest price generally is the motivating factor in their buying decision. Clearly for many buyers of high-end designer clothing the exclusionary aspect of the high price point/limited production has great appeal. For high end fashion boutiques, keeping their prices elevated and playing on those attitudes surely is sound business strategy... but to try to apply that concept to mid-tier fashion by slightly upcharging brands like apc, lvc, 3sixteen, etc which are widely available everywhere just seems ill thought out to me. You don't reach the upper tier for whom paying the high price is part of their enjoyment and you alienate the fashion-interested with serious budgetary concerns. But again, they stay in business, so what do I know. Most likely the simple reality is there are enough uninformed buyers out there to keep them afloat.
Originally Posted by BB1
I never said Blackbird's sales were heavily driven by customers who had been looking to purchase the same product from other webstores (but found it was already sold out). I was merely describing a case where higher prices may sometimes offer a benefit to select customers.
You made no comment regarding what "Blackbird's sales are heavily driven by", true, and I did not attribute one to you.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Guys this is fascinating stuff, but more importantly after three months off with no gym membership, I didn't loose too much strength. Still hitting 5x5 @ 225 bench, 5x5 235 deadlift @ 158lbs oh squat well that never mind about that.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DL almost equal to your bench? lol at your twink legs and back. Go do some more curls in the squat rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads