Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Go, Hyden Yoo! Azn pride, represent.
    Ha, I knew you'd know to what I was referring.
    I was really looking forward to FW10 as well. Dudes didn't even email me back re. the sample liquidation. Meh... Is he doing okay? Tell him to get in touch with me if he is hanging around. I see his updates om Facebook occasionally, and it's like the brand never happened. Sorta wierd.
    He's still around, he's just doing odd projects like directing videos and such. I still bump into him at the same parties, etc. I doubt it'll come back again but I wouldn't be surprised if something else came along.
    It seems like the stocklists have exploded this year, which is probably why more people are talking about it. Maybe people are buying it given the retail climate because it's great stuff? That said, I'm sure a LOT of it will be heavily discounted come late Nov.
    You think people are buying it? I think people are carrying it and that last sentence sums up my point.
    Universal Works? 8:15 (August 15?) Interestingly, I've seen a lot of those brands turn up in boutiques in the last couple of seasons.
    Universal Works. There's a brand, given the price range, that should be popping up the way Our Legacy has.

2. Nil

Nil Senior member

^^^^^ (previous post)

All valid points. That's why I enjoy reading posts from Drew and others on what goes on during the manufacturing process of clothing.

My Halloween hangover read that phrase "Russel Crowe working for Big Tabacco" as him working for Big Tabasco and I was quite confused for a few seconds.

3. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Well, can you go into any more detail about the business model? It certainly isn't obvious how Crate stays in business, so that sort of piques my interest...

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

You think people are buying it? I think people are carrying it and that last sentence sums up my point.
    Some
    people are buying it, but, yeah, there's a ton of it sitting on racks from what I can tell. I think a lot of retailers blew their wad on it this season.

5. whodini

Well, can you go into any more detail about the business model? It certainly isn't obvious how Crate stays in business, so that sort of piques my interest...
    Reread my posts. I explained it multiple times.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

I don't get it either. I suspect, though I can't confirm, dude is a trust fund kid who does it for fun and not money. Otherwise, yeah, it boggles the mind.

This is kzo.

7. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

A lot of those brands really are trust fund projects. Including Odyn Vovk which I think is criminally underrated.

However aside from Odyn I have nothing good to say about any of the other ones....including some that have been pretty hyped on SF.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

I think that there have been threads about Albam and Nigel Cabourn (of whom I am a big fan,) and a lot of people have mentioned Margaret Howell as well. St. James I don't really hear much about, but I do like the stuff (they sell it at one of the better spots in Vancouver.)

Very Anglocentric list you have there, though. You might add John Smedley and Kim Jones' Dunhill. Incidentally, all these "heritage" brands, and brands like Pringle, Engineered Garments, etc... are popular with football hooligans right now. Makes sense, I suppose.

Yep, I'd include oliver spencer in that too. In fact, there probably aren't any american brands worth a shit except kimmel and geller.

9. Nil

Nil Senior member

This is kzo.

Kzo went out of business, didn't it?

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

yesh

11. whodini

A lot of those brands really are trust fund projects.

Such as?

12. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Kzo went out of business, didn't it?

How long was it around, a year or two?

13. whodini

Closer to three or four years.

14. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I'm not going to buy any cabourn but the space cocoon was on another level.

15. robin

robin Senior member

I hated all of the US stockists' Cabourn buys this season. Everyone ordered the same stuff and left out the basics.
    Universal Works? 8:15 (August 15?) Interestingly, I've seen a lot of those brands turn up in boutiques in the last couple of seasons.
    I just started keeping my eye on Universal Works now that Gary has it, and I just received a great heavy duty roll neck from a stockist in the UK. All of it as far as I know is made in the UK, and best yet, it's affordable.
    Yep, I'd include oliver spencer in that too. In fact, there probably aren't any american brands worth a shit except kimmel and geller.
    I don't think an Adam Kimmel piece can be appreciated until you actually have it in your hands, or at least that's how it was for me. Incredible fabrics and perfect finishing. I'm looking forward to seeing more Oliver Spencer, though I don't know much about the background of the line. Most of the shirts, jackets, and sweaters I have seen and tried on fit short, so that only leaves me with the trousers and accessories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.