• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
I honestly have trouble taking people who find these "artists" talented seriously. Kid Cudi, Drake, Wiz Khalifa, Mac Miller, etc. all ******* garbage.

+1
confused.gif

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how you gonna hate on wiz? for real now come on

i honestly have trouble taking people who don't realize that music is all about personal preference seriously

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
how you gonna hate on wiz? for real now come on

i honestly have trouble taking people who don't realize that music is all about personal preference seriously

+94785327854238572093485702349857234523452345

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, i'll rewrite that for you: I question the intelligence of anyone who finds their lyrics (ie; their skill as an MC) worthy of praise. This said, your taste in music blows.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, i'll rewrite that for you: I question the intelligence of anyone who finds their lyrics worthy of praise. This said, your taste in music blows.

Can you be more specific.

rustyshack

Reaction score
I honestly have trouble taking people who find these "artists" talented seriously. Nicki Minaj, Kid Cudi, Drake, Wiz Khalifa, Mac Miller, etc. all ******* garbage.

Anyone wanna hook me up with a job in OC/LA? I'll work for peanuts!

Have you read the lyrics of cudi or wiz? I agree with you about drake lyrically, and I don't really like listening to cudi or wiz but some of those guys are talented writers.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how you gonna hate on wiz? for real now come on i honestly have trouble taking people who don't realize that music is all about personal preference seriously
I hate to be the curmedgeon, but seriously, from pretty much any metric (lyrical technical depth, vocal presence, originality, breadth of subject matter) this new crop of rappers just doesn't measure up to the greats of the past. I mean look how much better Jay (even in his current debilitated form) and Eminem are than the rest of those clowns. Half of them achieved stardom through gimmicks and industry push. It's sickening to me. So yea I too question the musical tastes/credibility of someone who claims to be a hip hop head and messes with anything out in mainstream rap today. I can give a pass to people who aren't serious about music + just don't know better. But outside of very, very few exceptions it's all pretty trite & weak compared to what rap has had to offer in the past 30 years [/xenox]

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot more to music than just personal preference. There are certainly varying degrees of quality inside every genre of music. You could say the same thing about food, drink, and fashion. Persons who are not well acquainted with a particular style may not possess the proper skills to assess the quality of music they are less familiar with. There are identifiable characteristics which categorize each genre of music... This expands quite obviously to clothing, food, art, and drink as well. It's objective vs. subjective. I objectively appreciate Bach for it's complexity, but subjectively do not listen to it very often since I find it to be slightly too impersonal for my own tasetes. However, I realize that impersonality is somewhat of a hallmark of Bach which can be appreciated even if I don't share the same enthusiasm for it that others do. It is definitely possible, and acceptable, to like music that is objectively below par, but subjectively enjoyable. I would never disagree with this. But to deny that there can be and IS an objective element to musical assessment is ludicrous. It's the same way that people dressing in Americana inspired clothing can appreciate gothninja, objectively, even if subjectively they could never imagine doing it themselves, and vice versa. And it could definitely be argued that someone who's musical taste is low in objective appreciation, even if high in their own subjective appreciation, is lacking. Lacking either in ability to assess or appreciate objective skill. @Cool: Didn't Eminem achieve stardom through gimmicks? I mean, I remember being younger and listening to Eminem just because his music was offensive and shocking... Of course, I later began to appreciate his music for other reasons, but I feel like his "offensiveness" was a large compenent of shooting him to prominence. I don't listen to any mainstream hip-hop these days though, so I'm somewhat removed from the argument.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
The vast majority of hip-hop makes me uncomfortable. Or sleepy.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i honestly have trouble taking people who don't realize that style is all about personal preference seriously But yeah, CooltheKid pretty much covered my thoughts without detailing with specific examples where I find lyrics lacking.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Rapper or looks? If it's the latter, the point is moot since Nicki is a hardcore lesbian anyway.
looks. point well received but somehow i suspect even if she wasn't a hardcore lesbian, I'd still have no chance. Magician I have a birthday engagement in CWG-ville (fed hill) that I unfortunately can't bail on. Do you want to try for something next week?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
The vast majority of hip-hop makes me uncomfortable. Or sleepy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

yooooooooooo

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
@Cool: Didn't Eminem achieve stardom through gimmicks? I mean, I remember being younger and listening to Eminem just because his music was offensive and shocking... Of course, I later began to appreciate his music for other reasons, but I feel like his "offensiveness" was a large compenent of shooting him to prominence. I don't listen to any mainstream hip-hop these days though, so I'm somewhat removed from the argument.

He definitely did... however, the huge difference is that while Em uses gimmicks to pay the bills, ultimately he's still one of the most technically accomplished rappers of all time. So to a very large degree, his spot in the mainstream is much more earned + warranted than those of Drake, Kid Cudi etc. There's just not much going for those guys in the skill department, which for me, as a lifetime fan (and hip hop artist
confused.gif
) is just an insult. Seriously, I am more skilled than a lot of mainstream rappers, and I don't feel that I'm that technically accomplished.

-----------------------------------

I should have listened to you guys (and from now on I will, I promise). Ciro Lendini ******* sucks. It's like a more expensive Aldo. Same fake distressing and everything
facepalm.gif
.aeglus where did you get those cognac brogues? I want them.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
He definitely did... however, the huge difference is that while Em uses gimmicks to pay the bills, ultimately he's still one of the most technically accomplished rappers of all time. So to a very large degree, his spot in the mainstream is much more earned + warranted than those of Drake, Kid Cudi etc. There's just not much going for those guys in the skill department, which for me, as a lifetime fan (and hip hop artist
confused.gif
) is just an insult. Seriously, I am more skilled than a lot of mainstream rappers, and I don't feel that I'm that technically accomplished. ----------------------------------- I should have listened to you guys (and from now on I will, I promise). Ciro Lendini ******* sucks. It's like a more expensive Aldo. Same fake distressing and everything
facepalm.gif
.aeglus where did you get those cognac brogues? I want them.

I don't even dislike you, but god damn, you're a ******* idiot realtalk: reading comprehension, do yoo has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads