1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet

jet Senior member

it's fucking impossible to find anything on the men.style.com website, I have no clue what's new and I have to go balls-deep to find what I'm looking for

Click on details at top to go to the details page and they should have the articles there.

Yes. Do you remember that store Structure in the 1990s (which later became Express Men)? That place sold surprisingly high quality basics (polos, khakis, etc.) in the most whacked out designs ever. Vertical stripe polos. Six button polos. Dress shirts divided into 4 color quadrants. It was freaking awesome. Best store ever.

Haha my cousin worked there from high school into junior college. His whole wardrobe was structure and mine was banana republic and I kept telling him why don't you buy something else and he'd always respond with dude I get it for cheap. I used to have a pair of structure linen pants and a matching shirt, absolutely horrid.

2. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

A question not a thought: What does slub mean?
    Slub is an imperfection in the material, either from the yarn or, IIRC, the actual weave of a fabric. In the weave, it's usually made from where the string is "missed". Ever see the movie Wanted? That whole Loom of Fate crap? They were reading the slubs. :/

3. Robert

Robert Senior member

So I've seen slub applied to various clothing items, particularly in the J. Crew line. They're talking about the fabric weave?

4. jet

jet Senior member

It's a bobbly texture too.

5. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

6. jet

jet Senior member

^Was curious to hear what our new member shailas thoughts on why it is a great place to shop that's all. I'm sure she has some thoughtful insight.

7. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

the first few days of pain stretching out your new denim is worth it in the long run

8. constant struggle

There's this pair of Mossimo cashmere/silk blend gloves in the city that make my skin orgasm, pity I don't have $550 AU lying around for gloves.

Doesn't Mossimo sell at target?

9. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

the first few days of pain stretching out your new denim is worth it in the long run

Ditto for work boots.

Nothing beats real leather, molded to your foot. [​IMG]

10. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

Current trends to note 2006-2009:
    Preppy "Andrew Ryan Wallace" style: Kind of boring. All those NYC hipsters in short shorts Thom Browne style[​IMG]
    Mountain Man "Bobo" style: Nice look but will become stale. You can only purchase so many Red Wings, flannels and Filson bags.
    Goth Ninja: Expensive aesthetic when done well, a lot of cash to spend to look like a comic book villain.
    Work wear: Boxy silhouette. Stale color ways. I'm a fan of functional garments but the So Cal climate doesn't compliment the pieces I would choose to buy.

What will be the looks for 2010? I don't have a prediction; I think trends are becoming more and more fragmented. Consumers are making more sensible purchases, which reflects in classic designs, fabrics and color stories, hence a lot of gray in the men's collections for Spring 10.

Personally I'm buying functionally styled outerwear and shirts in black and navy, basic tees in black, white and gray, black and oxblood thrifted dress shoes and basic five pocket slim fit denim. Based upon those purchases I wouldn't say there's a visible trend, just safe consumerism of masculine basics.

Anyone have an opinion about trends for 2010?

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

I'm trying to become more open-minded.

12. constant struggle

basic classics, nothing too much in one direction

13. why

why Senior member

Women's oversized sunglasses have run their course. They just get bigger and gaudier with each new incarnaton.

14. Robert

Robert Senior member

I cut my hair every week. This doesn't feel like too often.

15. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I can't stand the phrase "color ways." I realize that it's something of a term of art in the fashion/design business, but I've never seen it used where the word "colors" or "pattern" would not be clearer and simpler.

16. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

Mall of America has always sucked. The only people amazed by it are Japanese tourists.

And hundreds of idiots from Canada and Wisconsin.

17. jet

jet Senior member

If I had no money I'd wear uniqlo, hugo, marc by mj, and hm.

18. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Cashmere is really, really, overrated.
    Agreed. Fine Merino wool>cashmere IMO.

19. DLester

DLester Senior member

safe consumerism of masculine basics.

Your assessment sounds a bit bleak. I hope people don't play it too safe.

20. jet

jet Senior member

I wouldn't completely shy away from unique pieces but I think it takes awhile to develop a sense for what is and will stay truly interesting versus gimicky design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.