Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

LOL

called Beatwear, explained the situation (btw they confirmed with me that they do run small, which is not mentioned on their site) and that since i wore them outside the soles are scratched, i realize that they're under no obligation to let me do an exchange after this but it would be nice as i would love to be a repeat customer. they said they'll get back to me soon, so we'll see.

If you guys ignore Uncontrol's problems with his (!) newest purchase again, i.e. for the approximately twenty-eighth time on the last four pages, I'll get really mad and proof that I'm not an easy man to deal with. I'm not kidding. Enough is enough...

I'm sorry to hear this and wish you the best of luck ( wholehearted ), Uncontrol. [​IMG]

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

tee have you ever made a single post worth anything

this is random fashion thoughts, this seems to be a pretty OK to post about my dealings in regards to a store and a clothing item

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Rambling ahead....

I try not to be too reactionary because we all have perceived personalities on these sites and I know if I say I think "[user] looks like he's trying to buy a personality at Barney's" the reaction might reasonably be "of course Pete thinks that, he likes workwear and doesn't get fashion." I don't particularly want to feed into the narrative that some things are "old styleforum"--vintage, thrift, americana, workwear, whatever--and some are "new styleforum"--fashunz, Rick, Lad Musician, Lanvin, whatever. There's a lot of overlap there, even though the styleforum (and real world) hype cycle certainly seems to be leaving "midtier" Amerivintagworkiana behind. I admit freely that what I liked 5 years ago and what I like now are quite different, even if the brands/types of clothing that peaked maybe a year ago really struck a personal chord with me--Engineered Garments, etc. I certainly don't hate "luxury," which is as connotatively fraught a word as "Americana," but I do try to maintain some perspective (and yeah, I mean my own suburban wage earning middle class married guy perspective). And to be clear, I claim no ownership of styleforum and don't wish I could steer it in one way or another. I have a fan's/hobbyist's interest in clothes, just like I have a fan's/hobbyist's interest in pop music, literature, baseball, etc. I enjoy watching and rooting and arguing. If there was a point to this rant, I forgot it about three sentences in.

4. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

I have no problems with workwear...

but im not going to dress like a miner from 1892...

you can take multiple aspects of Americana and combine them to make a modern but classic silhouette with old time details.

however i do like the 1950s...

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

shoreman, how long ago did you get married? I remember a WAYWT of yours on superfuture with the quote "for the worst day of my life..." or something to that effect... what was that?

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

couldn't have said it better. previously there were people like socal2nyc, gosurface and magician posting "different" styles. socal is busy with his penis-in-mouth project, gosurface got bored of SF and magician moved in with his mom.

SF's inevitable decline into workwear-hell was simply prolonged by their presence. when they left, essentially every single thread had to do with either workwear or jcrew or timex watches. S.O.S. same old shit. while those things may be nice and serve as good foundational/traditional clothing, its pretty boring. wow, another chambray, where are the weird-shaped pockets gonna appear this time?

in response to this, you see the current state of affairs; threads dealing with shoes that retail for over 300, designer-related threads, watches, a tiny bit of discussion about avante-gard stuff, fit pics with forward-thinking brands like alexander mcqueen (jdmay), yohji (asobu), rickowens (NN & fuuma), julius (snake), jil (dlester), lanvin, prorsum, etc.

this stuff is all exotic when it comes to SF, not many people have the same pieces, and it's rarely seen in stores much less out on the streets. if i want to see jcrew ill go to one of 5 stores in DC or just look at every second person in the subway. if i want to see prorsum i can go to one store and thats it. and most of it ends up in my closet. so while the workwear stuff can be interesting, if i had to choose, yeah, id vote to see more "baller" shit on a style forum.

cum shot

7. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Rambling ahead.... I try not to be too reactionary because we all have perceived personalities on these sites and I know if I say I think "[user] looks like he's trying to buy a personality at Barney's" the reaction might reasonably be "of course Pete thinks that, he likes workwear and doesn't get fashion."
    Interesting statement. [​IMG] Have you actually felt this way? I try not to make assumptions about people's personalities based on their Recent Purchases, or even on their WAYWTs though I guess you could make an argument that the latter is more telling, I still think that's pretty assuming. Maybe that's not what you meant? Yeah, I think the "workwearheads don't get fashion" mentality probably pops up unfortunately, but what I am more concerned with is "certain posters who often just so happen to be involved in the workwear/americana aesthetic don't respect/make posts denigrating fashion". That distinction is important, because I think the former is simply ignorant. The latter seems to me like a burgeoning trend in recent weeks and I just don't get it. Both are generalizations, but they stem from what's being discussed right now. Not to say that you were addressing my last post specifically, just clarifying. But I agree with Fuuma, there is a terrible mistrust of fashion that is now starting to turn here, yet there are still posters who cling to their "classic-vintage-cool" and "style over fashion" like it's something to fight over. Do people feel antagonized? [​IMG] Can we not have both?

8. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

9. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Senior member

also, watches are really fucking expensive here because of luxury tax, I am gonna buy all my watches used in Japan basically. The blancpain is like over 20 big ones in this country, a GO senator sixities is probably 15. [​IMG]

Duty free. Well, I guess that's not necessarily reasonable- my parents got their rolexes duty free, but if you're looking for something a bit more interesting, they might not have them at the airport.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Duty free. Well, I guess that's not necessarily reasonable- my parents got their rolexes duty free, but if you're looking for something a bit more interesting, they might not have them at the airport.

Are watches at Duty Free negotiable though? I was just at LAX 2 weeks ago and was looking at the watches at the Duty Free shop and some already had a small discount. It's tax free but I am not sure you can haggle for the price though.

11. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Way to call me out SQ. I'm taking some time on the couch "to figure things out." This is a time honored tradition amongst creative folk.

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Oh and what is this thing about "real, everyday people"!!?? Can we lay off this populist shit? Am I less "real" than you because I wear fashion? What is inherently different with someone wearing a pricey outfit? If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
    You are only "real" if you pretend to be someone who lived ages ago by wearing their clothes, duh

13. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Hi Andrew.

Whatsup boo? [​IMG]

14. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

when you wear fashion clothes youre saying hey, i'm a dude from the modern age and im all fashiony and shit. and it's real, because you are a dude (or dudette!), in this modern age, who is fashiony. it's real.

when you wear vintage clothes you're saying hey, i'm a dude from 50 years ago who roughs it out in the wilderness on my lumberjack motorcycle. and it's not real, because you aren't, you bought some dead dudes clothes at goodwill and front like youre hard on the internet. you're not real. you're a grown man terrified of the outside world with no ability to form a personality of your own and so you seek solace in the idea of older, better times. times which, ironically, had you been alive, you would have been terrified of, and rejected the clothing styles of, and dressed as someone from even further back. you'd be going to the sock hop in a frock coat bitching about how steve mcqueen is too fashiony and you'd go home alone.

15. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.