• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the fact that most guys won't try on voluminous pants the reason why it's more likely to stay for the fashion enthusiast? Trends usually die when they're easy to adopt and make it to high street.
Perhaps, but that is conditional on that a sufficient amount of fashion enthusiasts (but not too many) want to wear it to begin with and then continue to wear it for some time.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jimmy iovine = cartier rimless specs + dad cap + magic ears

is uniform. i'd drop a pic but the message is more powerful if you simply google. i prefer the dad cap for the lower profile, perma-bent bill, and is not as affected as the 5-panel camp cap which i ache for but cannot bear.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear loose yohji/comme/marni pants pretty much all the time now, in fact the silhouette is not so dissimilar to the hip hop stuff i used to wear in the 90s. just (hopefully) a little more elegant
didnt people wear volume (in some form) throughout the 80s and 90s?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps, but that is conditional on that a sufficient amount of fashion enthusiasts (but not too many) want to wear it to begin with and then continue to wear it for some time.

Some of the stuff doesn't even seem that crazy to me. Also IMO looks good, but realize that's subjective

IMG_2926.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 9.12.57 AM.png

Namu-Shop-Men's-SS17-10.jpg

Namu-Shop-Men's-SS17-12.jpg

tumblr_inline_olqkabdObG1qfex1b_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_olqkwqK8St1qfex1b_540.png

tumblr_inline_olqkwyQnza1qfex1b_500-1.png

tumblr_inline_olqlwcRbYN1qfex1b_500.jpg

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What fabric is best for keeping cool in pants rather than shorts during high summer? Tropical wool? Linen?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Wait, the "dadcap" spam article refers to baseball caps, right? Not really a "runway" trend though. A quick search shows me such luminaries as insert random rapper name and insert instagram Kardashian person wore baseball hats, which hardly counts (I'm more and more convinced these people do not actually exist and articles just make up rappers and instagram stars as they go). Sure Balenciaga offers some boring cap but then Vêtements people did the whole kitsch pseudo-normcore(tm) catalogue so it is hardly surprising.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What fabric is best for keeping cool in pants rather than shorts during high summer? Tropical wool? Linen?

IMO, it depends more on the weave than fiber. I have some tropical wool pants that feel cooler than denser linen pants. But also some open weave linens that feel as airy as those tropical wools.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Think I've written this before but the situation is the same in Sweden and rest of Scandinavia.

I think it is exciting to see it move to menswear but it seems like a trend that will be over quickly, at least faster than for women. I can't see many guys buying clothes with that kind of volume and for most people it is neither practical or flattering. Large coats have been around for a while but some of those pants are wild even for the more fashion-oriented buyer.

The trend has been going on for a few yrs in Scandinavia, no? I mean I call this "the Scandi look". Maybe it is mutating but it is not so much Lemaire as Céline drained of colour and the quirk that can make it charming. Adopted elsewhere by people who think minimalism is like, totally sophisticated.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
So you wear an open linen shirt, but sweat shorts? Meaning sweatpants material but shorts? Seems like that would be warmer than necessary... I say this as someone who just wears pants all the time, so I get that maybe you don't care about how much warmer than absolutely necessary the shorts may be.

Uniqlo has some lightweight sweat shorts.

I generally try to avoid being outside during the day

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agree, this doesn't seem like extreme stuff to me at all. Doesn't seem any crazier than every trouser having to taper to a 6 inch leg opening... Which still very much seem to be a thing in many instances.

The trend has been going on for a few yrs in Scandinavia, no? I mean I call this "the Scandi look". Maybe it is mutating but it is not so much Lemaire as Céline drained of colour and the quirk that can make it charming. Adopted elsewhere by people who think minimalism is like, totally sophisticated.

Looked through some Lemaire based on this conversation, and while I'm interested in the volume, but I don't think I'm sophisticated enough for the minimalism. I need my clothes to help make me interesting...

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

Tropical Wool all the way man, it's all I wear. Shorts have never been my thumb and the tropical wool trousers have been a life saver plus they look a lot nicer

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uniqlo has some lightweight sweat shorts.

I generally try to avoid being outside during the day

Yea, those sweatshorts are pretty light. Wearing a pair right now and it's 83*F or so.

I have a history of just wearing white tank tops, patagonia stand up shorts, and tennis shoes all summer. Giving up on everything because it's too hot. But lately I've been doing better / trying more things.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another fairly blatant peir wu ripoff from COS

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 18.32.34.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think a lot of those volume fits would exist nicely in many Duran Duran vids... Hungry Like the Wolf and Rio. it's funny how those still stand up almost 40 years later. good clean fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics