• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
We've met, and unless you've really changed your body type in the past few years, you shouldn't be that hard to fit. You are athletic, but not crazily proportioned. Try Prada (yes, really), or maybe Costume National. You can get some very sharp suiting that is pretty office friendly but to a more discerning eye, is definitely a little more fashion than your regular mall brands, or something from a "CM" brand.

Still the same shape, but non-separates are just not an option. E.g. Margiela suiting, a 50 jacket is quite snug up top and a 46 trouser fits comfortably. My proportions are deceptively tricky. Getting separates and then possibly altering just requires too much effort for an office uniform. Going to the Suitsupply in Zurich and playing mannequin for an hour is about as much as I can handle.

I think afixedpoint is in Switzerland, formality there is no ******* joke in some work settings, hence the discouragement as he has very few parameters to work with.

Bingo. The Swiss seem to be very process-oriented and take pleasure in their rules and regulations. Fuuma, I will probably visit Paris sometime late June, would be nice to see you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think afixedpoint is in Switzerland, formality there is no ******* joke in some work settings, hence the discouragement as he has very few parameters to work with.

I've travelled a lot between Italy and Switzerland, and the differences are striking. I remember being in the shittiest toilet of all time in Italy, and crossing the border, paid 2 euros to go to the washroom, and there was a guy following and mopping up right behind me.

Still the same shape, but non-separates are just not an option. E.g. Margiela suiting, a 50 jacket is quite snug up top and a 46 trouser fits comfortably. My proportions are deceptively tricky. Getting separates and then possibly altering just requires too much effort for an office uniform. Going to the Suitsupply in Zurich and playing mannequin for an hour is about as much as I can handle.

Bingo. The Swiss seem to be very process-oriented and take pleasure in their rules and regulations. Fuuma, I will probably visit Paris sometime late June, would be nice to see you.
I think that I'm going to give you the custom title "Crossfit"

I think that you'll find something like Prada suiting a lot better for your shape, in any case. Or, just go and do Tom Ford.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or just take a short trip to Milan and get a suit made for you there. The Milanese style, with the shorter skirt, in darker colors, would probably be pretty cool while being office friendly.

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Are we going to acknowledge that the new forum is a major downgrade (aesthetically and from a utilitarian perspective) from the old mobile version?

Also this thread in particular, but also the other major "generic" threads, are essentially just an inner-circle of users jerking each other off
with a consequent narrow range of tastes, views, products, opinions expressed
None of which appeals to potential new users. And hence, these inner-circle jerkers are probably dooming the forum in the long run.

None of those users frequent, for instance, the john elliott thread, which is really the only thriving/alive part of the SW&D forum left

Im a new-ish member that is still here.

John Elliots wack though.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
I think that I'm going to give you the custom title "Crossfit"

Cool

Or just take a short trip to Milan and get a suit made for you there. The Milanese style, with the shorter skirt, in darker colors, would probably be pretty cool while being office friendly.

Taking the train to Milan next weekend. Will definitely check out the tailoring and a few of the notable streetwear shops. Also will budget plenty of time for food. As you may remember, the food in Switzerland is mostly bland and expensive. (Vegetarian fare is actually not bad)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool

Taking the train to Milan next weekend. Will definitely check out the tailoring and a few of the notable streetwear shops. Also will budget plenty of time for food. As you may remember, the food in Switzerland is mostly bland and expensive. (Vegetarian fare is actually not bad)

1) Done. Cool? Debatable.
2) I remember that there are a lot of sweets, and that there is a lot of fairly heavy food. Which, since I like hiking in Switzerland, is welcome. Everything there is expensive. Italian food ranks as some of the best in the world - I've had food in hipster indoor markets hthat in many places. would be Michelin recommended, so the comparison is unfair.
3) What shops areyou going to hit up?

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
1) Done. Cool? Debatable.
2) I remember that there are a lot of sweets, and that there is a lot of fairly heavy food. Which, since I like hiking in Switzerland, is welcome. Everything there is expensive. Italian food ranks as some of the best in the world - I've had food in hipster indoor markets hthat in many places. would be Michelin recommended, so the comparison is unfair.
3) What shops areyou going to hit up?

10 Corso Como and Slam Jam come to mind immediately. I secretly like Stone Island despite the loud patch.

Any specific food/drink recommendations would be most welcome. Btw, are you going to be in Florence for Pitti?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Swiss love of rules drove me crazy when I moved here. Thankfully my workplace is "international". Re food, rösti is classic.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 Corso Como and Slam Jam come to mind immediately. I secretly like Stone Island despite the loud patch.

Any specific food/drink recommendations would be most welcome. Btw, are you going to be in Florence for Pitti?
I can't deal with the heat of Florence in the summer, so I won't be there.

I like both Stone Island and CP Company. I used to like CP Company a lot more, but I'm liking the more tactical looking stuff these days, so...

Re food and drink - My tendency to wander combined with my terrible direction sense combined with my inability to remember names makes me a terrible font of knowledge.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm increasingly sold out on CP Company. good stuff. the aesthetics and technical aspects work together quite sneakily.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TIL @penanceroyaltea still thinks like a high schooler :foo:

Don't worry, your boobs aren't missing!

Isn't that the case for most people as they live their life? Few people actually can define exactly what they want out of life. Most everyone just ride the waves and grumble along

Haha, ok I was more referring to jawnz than life though. But you are right I probably haven't changed much since high school - maybe I've gotten grumpier.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
what more is there to life than the eternal pursuit of john coppidge?

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am learning how to navigate the now forum.

dont know if I like it, but it is what it is.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I feel like 2011, 2012 SWD was more a whole bunch of people learning and experimenting together, some awesome/not so awesome groupthink. Not so much money to spend, but more time to burn.

More recently, esp on waywt most already know what they like, or know what to do. As a result, there's less discussion and debate. For instant gratification and affirmation, instagram is better for sure.

Ahh yes 2011, 2012 were very interesting years here since it was mainly me getting **** on for buying basic Margiela, me calling a Brad a ****** and getting into it with the homie Jet over basically anything...very entertaining era haha. It felt like back then you would go through some initiation and I think when SF got a lot nicer and everyone started to get along we lost a lot of the "I'm here for the entertainment" posters haha

No, but seriously I'm still very much in love with the concept of clothing and of course still romanticize Margiela in my own way. I used to get a lot more critiques (thanks to Fumma for at least being that guy that still gives out critiques) but since I think you guys have seen pretty much my whole wardrobe excluding some new items that I will no doubt wear the same way there is nothing much to talk about. I still come here first when I see a cool old Margiela piece or something though

Random though: I saw someone had a cream viscose knit for sale on Grailed and in the description it said "championed by RegisDB9 on SF" haha when I got that knit everyone hated it, I got like 3 thumbs haha...how time changes things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics