1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

I don't like trolley cases at all; they depress the hell out of me. Have yet to see one that doesn't.

I tend to alternate between backpacks and duffle bags (or holdalls/weekenders, whatever you want to call them). Backpacks are available in quite large sizes, think I saw a decent-looking Marni one on Yoox the other day. Mostly depends on how much you want to spend.

On the whole I don't like black (because everybody's luggage is always black), but to each their own...

2. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

NMWA is your friend here

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. the shah

the shah Senior member

I've run into this problem too, now. Vans old skool are great but they do disintegrate too fast. Same with the docs creepers I have , no MIE version and the pleather is so poor.

CPs are far too narrow of a silhouette for my aesthetic, so while comfy they look very odd. I believe buteros are on same sole.

I tried some Marni sneakers but they were terrible.

I liked the cdg Nike blazers but the current models aren't suede and have an ugly white outline. these were from coue years back
    [​IMG]

Am almost tempted to just go with blacked out lanvin or AnnD, incredibly comfortable but I dunno ....

1 person likes this.
  4. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

^ blacked out Lanvin's I will eventually get a pair.

5. max_r

max_r Senior member

Tapered my black raw APC NS since I felt they were a bit messy from the knee down, brought from about 7-3/8" hem to 7", much cleaner looking.

I feel like I'm really late to the tapered jeans party.

6. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

All black suede CP achilles might work.

Otherwise you could customize a pair of Adidas Spezial or Samba online and make them all black. Should look similar to CPs. I've been thinking of doing that for a while. You could probably have then made in your size.

Then you have all the converse-alike brands like Spalwart, Shoes like Pottery, Novesta, etc if you are into that look.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

And don't forget bathroom breaks. My female friends have mentioned it's a pain when jumpsuits are involved. I imagine it's analagous to being a little tyke again and dropping trou to your ankles to take a leak.

8. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

all my luggage is from Muji; multi-directional wheel models that stand up to abuse IME (I mostly check-in but they have small models that are carry-on appropriate)

1 person likes this.
  9. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

@ClambakeSkate
    I like the Muji wheeled stuff for check-in but carry-on I use Filson, does the job.

Briefcase under the seat, and duffle overhead. The medium duffel is made to meet maximum carry-on size.

1 person likes this.
  10. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

I'll check out the Muji cases next time I'm around the shop, I'm hoping they have them in the Paris store...That's the only one I can get to often.

Otherwise, yeah, I think I'm leaning toward Filson Medium Duffle and maybe I just need to get over my fear of #menswear. Or find a black one on ebay (is there any risk of fake filson on ebay? is that a thing?)

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

To be fair dryers in the US far superior to dryers in Europe, ime. They will destroy your clothes for sure but nothing like pulling on a warm tshirt out of a hot, natural gas powered dryer.

tldr soft warm clothing >>> the environment or clothing longevity

2 people like this.
  12. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I hang dry a lot of my stuff but there are few things better than pulling a well-washed and dried, warm, oxford button down out of the dryer

2 people like this.
  13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I use an "olive" Briggs and Riley roller bag. They are solidly made, very mobile, and your back will thank you. Duffles are great for car trips, and I have a few for that, but running through an airport to catch your connection? Not so much.

1 person likes this.
  14. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I got my black duffle from here https://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/filson-medium-carry-on-duffle-bag-.html?Black

Although I have to say I like it less for flying than I had imagined, since it tend to get too heavy to carry around on airports. I use it mostly for train rides where this is less of an issue.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I use a roller. A lot easier to get through airports when you're not schlepping heavy luggage on your shoulders. Esp if you can get a roller that will also carry your backpack and/ or briefcase (or whatever is your personal item).

Just have to make sure it has good wheels, and isn't those two-wheeled cases that you lug behind you (I find that takes more energy to move than four wheel cases you roll beside you)

For backpacks, I find rolltops carry more than other styles. I use Brooks England Pickwick and Atelier de l'Armee's flight pack, but there's a ton of others out there -- Nanamica, Mission Workshop, Filson, etc.

1 person likes this.
  16. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

I have a backpack I love (filson) and I hate larger backpacks as I used a large hiking pack as carryon for several years and I still don't know why I did that, it was stupid.

I like the duffles because of the square-ish shape makes it easier to pack (the complete opposite of a rolltop backpack)... also why I'm looking at "real" luggage as well, for ease of packing. Just plop the laptop on top and it's easy to take out and put back when I need to go through security. I have some of those cheap REI duffles as well, but the round shape is not great for what I want.

I mostly do quick EU flights so running across large international hub airports to make connections is a rare occurrence for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

EDIT: Also to note I made an international move in 2 large paratrooper bags so I know how to pack light. They don't have enough structure when they're not full though, that's the problem with those.

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I have a small Samsonite roller that I use for 3-4 day trips, it's small simple not really that great looking but a wonder to use. I'll use a filson medium duffle for shorter trips.

18. Maxwellll

Maxwellll Senior member

I didnt know what to think of the menswear at first as it wasnt the Marni I expected but decided I liked it, there are some nice pieces in that collection and still a bit of the Marni vibe of sharp tailored stuff and funky patterns. Yesterdays womens collection though was so awful, just flat and no fun with cheap looking nasty fabrics and the shoes... [​IMG] I will give Risso a chance as its only one season but I hope Marni cuts him off quick if he doesnt fix it up.

Definitely looking forward to see what happens at Jil Sander though, its been OK in the last few collections but still needs something more to feel exciting, hopefully the Meiers can do that.

19. thesilentist

thesilentist Senior member

I've used the Travelpro reviewed here by the SweetHome/WireCutter:
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-carry-on-luggage/

Having used it for 1-3 trips a month for the past year, I can definitely recommend it. You can read the whole review, but if you're doing serious travel you'll probably want to get a roller with two wheels instead of four as the fixed-wheel design is what's typically recommended by the luggage makers since there's fewer parts that can break and the wheels are larger and thicker.

If you're doing a huge checked bag though (50lbs) then go with a 4-wheel design. Again, Travelpro makes a great model and the one I use for this has their "Magnatrac" wheels that will automatically all turn and roll in the same direction, which is a huge help when you're trying to guide a giant heavy bag with just one hand. Mine's been an absolute tank and I use it to carry 50lbs of suits/swatch books 1-3 trips a month for the past year.
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-checked-luggage/

I'll admit this luggage isn't very cool looking, but they've held up incredibly well for me and the carry-on piece has a really good internal organization layout that let's you pack in quite a bit if you need to do so. The handles feel substantial and have taken quite a bit of abuse. The outer material hasn't ripped and there's no cracking yet I can find. Overall, the construction quality is very high and yet pretty lightweight.

20. mementomoriarty

mementomoriarty Senior member

[COLOR=var(--yt-primary-text-color)]Dries - Official trailer[/COLOR]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.