1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I do it all the time and I think it rocks.

2. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I thought your post was about stealing other people's bags for a second.

1 person likes this.
  3. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

is there a decent brand on Yoox for Italian-style soft-shouldered blazers, for $200ish? In the vein of Lardini/Boglioli et al. No looking for something super formal, but not a Barena either. I know I can find those brands on Yoox but at that price range they never have my size in a boring color (grey or navy)

4. happyriverz

happyriverz Senior member

I've had decent luck with Filomarino. I suspect it's one of those Yoox-proprietary brands. The quality is decent: it's obviously fused, but fit is pretty good. The buttoning point is a bit higher than I would prefer, but it's not worse than what's typical these days. It's not a classically proportioned jacket, but more so than the typical "fashion" sportcoats.

5. momentoftruth

cool I'll have a look. How's the length? I'm not looking for CM-appropriate, but I'd like to have something that's not too short either

6. happyriverz

happyriverz Senior member

I'm 5'7'', and my size 38 jacket from that brand covers my ass.

7. momentoftruth

thanks, I'll add one to my next round of Yoox roulette

8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

do i want a horse leather or a calf leather halp plz

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Depends. I prefer horse, which, under most common tanning techniques, can develop a pretty cool lustre you don't seein calf. That said, it can be sorta stiff. Though, recently, there has a been a fair bit of middle weight, supple from day 1, horsehide.

10. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

veg tanned horse and washable calf are my two options.

i, too, am leaning towards the horse, but the weight and stiffness might be a bit offputting

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Wear it hard for a bit, and it will be super supple. My old, barely worn, ToJ, is like butter now.

1 person likes this.
  12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

5 people like this.
  13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've had good luck with Michelangelo and Brando (# Ninja Turtle names).

2 people like this.
  14. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Aspesi, Manuel Ritz, AT.P.CO.

15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

If you want something dumb cheap it's worth taking a look at the Sunspel Milano blazers, Les Basics and even uniqlo

16. momentoftruth

yeah I'm actually thinking I might get one of those comfort blazers from the qlo. Just a work beater for cooler mornings so I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Wts, I could use a soft-tailored blazer for dressier occasions, have just been lazy about scrolling through the myriad options on Yoox
    thanks, I'll check those out

17. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

hey dudes, in case you didn't know voting for the NMWA cowichan contest is up. Would appreciate a vote if y'all think my design is good enough to be made. You can vote here

some info I posted on the NMWA thread:

[​IMG]

Just wanted to give some design input:

The idea of the Swooping Crane design was to essentially blend two completely opposite things: traditional Cowichan sweaters and Japanese sukajan.s

Sukajans are also called "souvenir jackets," and they originated post-WW2 in Japan when US soldiers would bring back jackets embroidered with classic Japanese motifs. They were pretty flamboyant, honestly, and when the jackets were co-opted by Japanese youth (sort of like... a weird Japanese punk rock type deal) afterwards, they got even louder (read: awesome).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought that the raglan shoulders, shawl collar, and large back "canvas" of the Cowichan sweaters awesome parallels to classic sukajans.

I have this old, vintage book of Japanese patterns and designs on clothing, and so I drew inspiration from some of the patterns from that. I didn't want to go full Sukajan, and still wanted to incorporate the heavy patterned styles of popular Cowichans. So, on the front, you have the abacus stripe (soroban-jima) pattern which, while a traditional Japanese pattern representing manual calculators, still reminded me very much of patterns of Native peoples. A chidori ("A Thousand Birds") motif with four-petal blossoms on the sleeves tie it together, pulling a sukajan look while still staying true to a lot of the patterned Cowichans I've come to love. On the reverse, the pattern switches to cherry blossoms instead of abacus stripes, as I liked the imagery of flora and fauna together. The crane is associated with good fortune and longevity in Japan (honestly, most east Asian countries), and so I wanted that to be the centerpiece of it.

I kept the color palette really simple, as I wanted the patterning and stitching to be the "loudness" of the sweater. The yarns I chose are "denim blue" and "ivory", but perhaps I'm thinking just straight white instead of ivory.

Essentially, I wanted to make something that I couldn't really find anywhere: a Japanese inspired Cowichan. So many of these are made, especially in collaboration with Japanese brands, and yet none of them really have any traditional Japanese motifs. It's sort of a weird clustercuss of a bunch of cultures, you know? A Vietnamese immigrant in America designing something that is Japanese inspired for a Canadian sweater, something like that.

Anyways, I hope that gives some context to the design

12 people like this.
  18. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Anyone order from Frans Boone recently? How was the experience? Would recommend for U.S. shoppers? Any hassle for return shipping? Matches Fashion IME has the best international deliver/return process so far.

19. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Has anybody ordered from Nowlet.com before?
    They just re-use product photos from other sites for the most part which seems sketchy but isn't unheard of. I tried to search scam checking sites and most of them don't have a review for it, and the only one that does gives it 96%, but it isn't https ... something just seems suss about it.

20. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

Grabbed some Converse Chuck II, olive drab with the gum sole cause I like wwII trainers like Nigel Cabourn does.

Somehow I'm a first time Chuck owner; do the sidewalls stretch at all? Not the rubber toe cap of course, but behind it? I have Hobbit paddle feet so these may just not be for me.

Alternatively, what are Chuck/Purcell style sneakers for wider feet? Are the 70s any wider? Hill Side? Japanese brands? Especially looking for gum sole options.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017