1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

That's funny, I wear only tapered and slim cut pants with vibram

You just gotta embrace the chunkiness. Vibram looks look best in a streetwear/outdoors bro context, not necessarily workwear (though I think it works very well there too). Think Visvim, White Mountaineering, etc. I personally own very few boots that are Dainite or leather soled, and have never felt that anything I've worn would be better if they had different soles. The chunkiness is part of the charm.

5 people like this.
  2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll have to look at those. I wear white slip on vans a lot too, but I've been wary of versions that have pretensions of grandeur. I do have another shoe from Greats - the Rosen - which was really cheap, is super comfortable and is holding up better than I expected (Vibram sole!). The design on a lot of their models is kind of a miss IMO.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I feel a bit dirty for wanting these as well:

https://www.greats.com/products/the-wooster-leather-blanco

1 person likes this.
  4. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

5. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Senior member

they look decent but i think i'd get some phantom george costanza hat paranoia wearing those. it would be rare, but say you're walking along and realize you've just passed an sf bro, and you look back, and he's done the same, and he glances at the useless stich branding on your nick wooster greats, and he smirks, because he is seeing you as nick wooster wearing a george costanza fur hat. you pass a storefront window and there it is, the hat. you take off the shoes but the phantom remains.

2 people like this.
  6. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

FTFY

5 people like this.
  7. mythage

mythage Senior member

That's how I envisioned it as well but I guess it just doesn't fit into my aesthetic. My closet is mostly schneider with bits of other brands like eg, tss, geller. Would love to see some inspo/fits with chunky vibram boots if you have any good ones.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  8. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

Sounds like a tough match, to me at least, if your closet is very Schneider. Would work better if your closet has a range of pieces, with some Schneider (Merino or something similar, some sweaters and shirts, etc.) thrown in

9. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

You made me curious so I shot some pics of my Japan Blue Godzilla High Tapered and Grenson Kudu's on thick Vibrams. I might not have thought of it as I have been pairing the jeans with a pair of Viberg Oxford's but I love the pairing. The leg opening is 7".

And with my Schneider Navy Memory coat, I think it would look beyond awesome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On edit: With the Navy Memory, no liner, collar flipped and grey crew neck T it looks SWD fantastic. .

I love it.

Thanks for your query that got me experimenting.

10. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

Hahaha honestly u can't really tell these and vans apart at all except for nicer leather uppers. They are a whole lot more comfortable though. I think it's cos most of the internal stitching/surface is covered by vachetta leather. The branding is really lame though.

11. leeba

leeba Senior member

^
    disagree, toebox is completely different shape. more of a slipper vs sneaker vibe, sorta. i like the og blobby vans better but the greats are better support-wise for my broken, terrible feet. agreed re branding it's terrible and the whole brand is corny but these have fared well despite being put through some terrible conditions (i have the all white leather ones, bought a couple years ago)

12. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

Different toebox is why I didn't like Greats or CPs. I ultimately settled on Diemme, which still isn't as pleasantly blobby as Visvim, but is around $400 cheaper when on sale

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Our Western values are probably most tied to Christianity, but a lot of early Christian thinkers drew from Greek philosophy. There was a lot of diversity in Ancient Greek thinking, and one of the big battles was between Stoics and Epicureans. The first were people who thought virtue came from a focus on the soul/ mind, as well as self control over bodily pleasures. The second thought bodily pleasures were fine and good, so long as they didn't infringe on other people's pursuit of pleasure (kind of like early utilitarians and economists).

I think that early Stoic thinking is the root of why we think we should focus on the mind and soul. Adopted by Christianity, developed through Anglo-Protestantism, and spread around the world through Western culture. So fashion just becomes a thing for women, who are presumed to be too stupid for a life of the mind.

Anyway, that's my understanding, but Fuuma has probably taken all the same courses I have, so he can prob correct me.

I was! How did you know? Am not there anymore though.

Don't know who has denim sales, but maybe Dutil?

https://www.dutildenim.com

1 person likes this.
  14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Anybody have recommendations on where to buy some fabric by the yard? I'm having someone make some of the wrap-around snow skirts Uniqlo carried for a couple of winters (and inexplicably no longer carry).

I need one to be relatively water-resistant fabric for the outside and one fleecey fabric for the inside. I'm thinking probably synthetic, and preferably machine-washable. I only need a few yards of each (1.5 per piece, probably having 5 made to start).

15. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

Please, please. Stoics? Epicurians? Hellenistics to a man, and their heyday was the Roman empire anyway. (Also, the strict Epicurean line was that the most we could really hope for was freedom from pain. They weren't hedonists.)

Stoicism is a philosophy for empire and internal emigration (despite its emphasis in some developments on civic service)—I am more than willing to expound on this at greater length—and I really don't think that its emphasis on self-control is at the root of whatever remains of contemporary shame about the body, the sensual, adornment, etc. Stoics, famously to those who read the Enchiridion when immature, don't mind if you've got a fondness for jugs. They just want you to remember: jugs break, so if yours should happen to break, don't let it get to you.

I don't think there's much value in assigning origins to something called "western culture" or "western values" since there are so clearly multiple value systems alive at the same time, multiple cultural traditions getting sort of banged up together (it's all very quilted, or maybe it's more StyleForum to say boro, you know). Kwame Anthony Appiah gave a good talk on related issues recently. To take one example of the contemporary livelihood of conflicting ideals, Aristotle's great-souled man has qualities pretty divorced from what we might normally think of as magnanimity, and would strike someone who thought humility, deference, and asceticism good as highly unattractive. We simultaneously laud a proud person who knows his worth and acts with a dignified bearing that befits his talents and station, *and* the humility that led the current pope to live practically like a pauper prior to his election. The people of the Iliad are foreign but not totally foreign; the lives of saints are foreign but not totally foreign; it's a fool's errand to try to construct a single uniform lineage for a single uniform Western Whatever: there can't be the former because there isn't the latter.

6 people like this.
  16. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

There must be craft/fabric stores near you? Or is the concern that they won't be, you know, up to snuff?

17. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

You, or someone mentioned it on Twitter maybe? Couldn't remember if it was you visiting Vancouver or someone else.

I only have a teacher-professional account so I'm limited to "likes" for non-profession related things until I wrangle the effort to create an actual personal account.

1 person likes this.
  18. Zamb

Zamb Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Most of Western Christian "tradition" is not Christianity, but paganism and Greek philosophy rebranded or at least amalgamated...........

19. santaclara

santaclara Senior member

Does grailed have staff constantly watching to move items from grailed to hype/basics or maybe they filter it based on brand? I tried to slip a handmade item in grailed today because I figured it would draw more attention there and after picking up a couple wants within one minute it was moved to the basics section where it went to die.