1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. leeba

leeba Senior member

quick fit/pattern question: I feel like I should have figured this out by now...but...

If I have a raglan overcoat where the armholes are low enough to be restrictive despite the pit to pit being "enough", should I size up so the armholes are even lower for the pit to pit increase? Trying to get slouchier/more comfortable fit but not sure if the armholes being lower on the size up will counteract that.

There's also extra (?) material in the back if I don't pull the collar all the way to my neck (ie doesn't drape cleanly, and I can't tell whether it's due to it being too small or too big), so not sure if the pattern just isn't for me. Material has strange folds - appears to be extra material around the raglan part in the back. The bottom half of the coat and sort of gets caught on my butt in some pictures (where I'm not standing straight up with the collar pulled all the way up to the back of my neck). Some of this might just be needing to break in the coat a little.

Really, really into the coat but a little confused at whether to stay with the same size (second most likely), size down?, or up (most likely?). Bonus of sizing up is extra length. May have just answered my own question?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

A picture is worth a thousand words

2 people like this.
  3. leeba

leeba Senior member

^
    you know how I get about posting pics haha

4. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

No one is going to be able to give reliable advice based on this... you might as well get both sizes up and down and try it for yourself

1 person likes this.
  5. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Kanata cowichan design contest

Really excited about this, so check it out: http://www.styleforum.net/t/358758/no-man-walks-alone-official-affiliate-thread/37230#post_8725624

Details spoilered below, but I don't want to hijack RFT so come hang out in our thread [​IMG]

Now for something different than we’ve ever done before: a full-blown design contest. Bear with me here, since there is a little bit to unpack, but this should prove to both be simpler than my massive post will make it seem, and also a lot more fun.

Most of you are probably familiar with what a Cowichan sweater is, but for those that don’t it’s a big ol chunky zippered cardigan. See: The Dude.

We work with a company called Kanata that has been hand-knitting these for 40 years or so. Because of the hand-knit nature of it, and the very low gauge (thick) yarns used to knit it, it becomes an awesome canvas for designs, both simple and complex, as you can hand-knit just about anything if it matches up to their knitting pattern.

While we’ve worked with them to make Cowichans using some of their more classic motifs like the double eagle, bison, and various repeating patterns, we wanted to open up the floor to something unique that is designed by you.

There are a few files involved, so I’ll walk through those step by step.

The first is the pattern, and @gdl203 has transposed their paper pattern into an Excel document that can be worked on in Excel or Google Drive where you can simply fill in the cells with colors to reflect the color of the yarn. Alternatively, you can print it out and draw it in, but ultimately we’ll need something that clarifies what color yarn is used where.

The pattern is split up into each of the panels that make up the sweater (front left, front right, back, and the sleeve, which is the same for both arms.
    You’ll notice lighter grey outlines inside of each of these patterns, and those indicate the size grading for the knitters. This means that any large motifs will have to fit inside the smallest of the light grey lines, and any repeating patterns have to be continued through them. Other than that, they can be ignored for the most part. Please see Raglan_example.pdf for what this looks like.

The next thing to know about are the yarn colors available, which are limited to the ones highlighted in the below image. It works out to be a few colors in the beige/brown spectrum, greys, and blues, but we also find that some of the best sweaters are made up in these colors. I believe that we are limited to 3 yarn colors per sweater, but I will double-check that.

[​IMG]

As you can imagine, the winner will get their design made, will get a free sweater in their design, and will also have their name [Designed by X] on the tag for all to see.

I know we have some tremendously creative people out there, so I’m really excited about what you all come up with!

Some inspiration below, so you can see various approaches people have taken with these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    7 people like this.
  6. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Got damn, I wish I wasn't 11 in 1999 to get my hands on these red boots

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

fuck. yes.

1 person likes this.
  8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

My submission: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    19 people like this.
  9. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm so excited. Please let me win. Please let me use green yarn.

39 people like this.
  10. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

Pass them out at the next SF trunk show

11. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I thumbed for the bloke on the sweater but who the heck is he?

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

13. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

Is that Baba Booey's nephew?

14. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Does he still even post on sf anymore?

15. UserName84

UserName84 Senior member

@Bam!ChairDance has gone missing too...

1 person likes this.
  16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Am I wrong, or are more stores doing Chinese New Year promotions this year?

Feel like I've seen a couple, whereas before, I don't think I've ever seen a non-Chinese retailer structure a sale or anything around the holiday.

17. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Seems to be more common in areas with large Asian populations, but not so much otherwise

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Those aren't ancient greco-roman values they're Christian protestant values...

7 people like this.
  19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I've got some levi 501s I want to taper a tad more and hem. You guys usually do a light wash / dry before getting anything hemmed / tapered? To get the shrink out? In the past I've had stuff hemmed then washed it 6 months later for it to end up to short..

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I always add 2-3 of inches for unsanforized denim to account for shrinkage, and even then, only wash on cold, with no agitation, and hang/drip dry. For sanforized denim, I add about 1", and do the same. I also don't like a clean hem. If you want that, you are trying to thread the needle, which will be bery hard.

1 person likes this.