• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some cool **** from a new brand called Nine Lives. Pattern maker is a some dude who used to make patterns for Yohji Yamamoto. Stuff looks really good.

Want - either this or the leather jacket lined in this sashiko. I really wonder how heavy this is though. The "heavy" sashiko that Blue Blue Japan uses for some pieces is about 21 ounces, and a fairly tight weave. The stuff that Luxire has in stock is also 21 ounces, but a much looser weave. I wonder what this will be. Would be interested to see whether this is even heavier, or just the same and a tighter weave, etc...

There is some very heavy sashiko used for some competition BJJ gis. Wonder if it is like that. That stuff feels like it would be about 23-25 ounces.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Want - either this or the leather jacket lined in this sashiko.  I really wonder how heavy this is though.  The "heavy" sashiko that Blue Blue Japan uses for some pieces is about 21 ounces, and a fairly tight weave.  The stuff that Luxire has in stock is also 21 ounces, but a much looser weave.  I wonder what this will be.  Would be interested to see whether this is even heavier, or just the same and a tighter weave, etc...

There is some very heavy sashiko used for some competition BJJ gis.  Wonder if it is like that.  That stuff feels like it would be about 23-25 ounces.

Yea, I immediately thought of you when I saw those two pieces.

FWIW, the guy who wrote that article works at Unionmade, and they're carrying the BBJ sashko jacket this season. I imagine he's familiar with the weight of the BBJ.

Actually thought the BBJ jacket is pretty hefty.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I immediately thought of you when I saw those two pieces.

FWIW, the guy who wrote that article works at Unionmade, and they're carrying the BBJ sashko jacket this season. I imagine he's familiar with the weight of the BBJ.

Actually thought the BBJ jacket is pretty hefty.
The BJJ one is pretty hefty - I have two pieces in it. The chore jacket, which I painted, and the longer coat that @Synthese wears in some of his WAYWT pics. I was just wondering if this is heavier or a tighter weave, or harder yarns, etc... It's hard to tell from online pictures. We'll see, I guess.

sartbaeklv

Reaction score
more interested in the pattern making since the cutter used to work for yohji. their website is an absolute mess though. they use the same images for different products. i assume they didn't have some samples ready for photos

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got so sun burned yesterday that thinking about clothes hurts. However did swim with some sea turtles so that was worth it.

Also considering picking up Purple Velvet DB coat from Haider. Why not?

Think its this one, but in Eggplant Purple

_A2X0041.jpg

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, guys, guys let's make sure to get our acronyms straight. There's BBJ and BJJ. We don't want Chuck Liddell walking into Unionmade and throwing some poor SA into a kimura.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulling my stuff from Groiled, it's trained everyone to just expect race-to-the-botton prices; or it's a bunch of Pinterest "collectors." @LA Guy I'd love to see some of the small fixes to B&S you've mentioned that are in the pipeline

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ability to sort by size would be so great. Having the same experience on Grailed, removed the accept offers option after so many lowballers

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
More like separate your head from your shoulders. I have been in Union Made many times, and as a natural 155 lber (walking around at 165 lean, and 175 now, NOT lean, or a big 145 lber) in my unspectacular career, I am pretty sure that I am still among the bigger guys there. Based on the fact that Chuck is probably walking around at 225 or so, healthy, so, a full 60 heavier than the lean me, my guess is that Chuck would separate one guy's head from his shoulders, and that the richoceht of the head would knock out a second guy. I don't think that Chuck Liddell has ever pulled a kimura on anyone, though it is a strength dependent submission, and seems like something that would have played to his strengths (aggression, power). Back on track. I have been wondering if I could design some pants that are a bit like field pants but that are made with a the heavy denim (it's never indigo denim) that is used for BJJ gis, and that are roomy enough for BJJ and martial arts in general, but look good for street wear. The difficult thing is to no have open pockets or anything else that can easily get snagged and ripped during practice, but do have those things that are needed for street use, and to also have closures that are not going to cause abrasions (so, no zippers, and buttons are probably going to pop). I was thinking of pickets that are closed by drrawstrings, and of course, a drawstring waist,

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more interested in the pattern making since the cutter used to work for yohji. their website is an absolute mess though. they use the same images for different products. i assume they didn't have some samples ready for photos
Showing lack of google fu: what is the website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics