• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@conceptual 4est

If you play guitar head to Denmark Street. Definitely.

Clare de Rouen books (on Tottenham Court Road but not where the works are) is an excellent art/fashion book store and has loads of good stuff. Foyles is also lovely, but I imagine NYC has big **** off book stores too.

V and A is pretty good, and the Barbican has a great exhibition on as well. London also has great parks - Hyde, Richard, Hampsted Heath, worth a visit and a relax.

Food wise there's a killer Vietnamese place near King's Cross. Like damn ******* great - Sen Viet. The Ban Cuon (probably spelled that incorrectly) is especially good, as are the egg pancakes (g trans help me out, bro).

If you're in town on the weekend I might be around (have to go in to vote), let me know.

Denmark Street is a total shitshow right now though.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick: London recommendations! Been here for a few days so far but finding myself with more time than needed for what I originally planned. Tomorrow is Tate Modern and then nothing for the rest of the day, and nothing planned for Thursday either. Fielding any recommendations for food (yes!) snacks (sure!) museums (hell yeah!) shopping (eh) drinks (why not) and anything else I should see. No tourist spots please - not that I don't like them, I think I've just seen them all already. I'm American and from New York so please don't recommend me a burger or anything like that.

The Wallace Collection is one of my favourite smaller museums. Not usually very busy. Nice paintings plus a bunch of historic weapons and armour. Marylebone High Street which is behind it is decent for shops and cafes (there's Trunk Clothiers near there too for example).

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting... I would think that the top designers are very well paid though.. And say those in marketing or PR.. Management positions etc.

All my own imagination obv...

They pay ****, too much competition for those jobs for them to need to pay much.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Wallace Collection is one of my favourite smaller museums. Not usually very busy. Nice paintings plus a bunch of historic weapons and armour. Marylebone High Street which is behind it is decent for shops and cafes (there's Trunk Clothiers near there too for example).

Do you work for Geoffrey?

Wallace Collection is great. Right next to Selfridges too if you want to catch their sale.

hennree

Reaction score
If you go to Pizza Pilgrims you could stroll into Other-Shop which is on the same street and claim your 10% SF discount

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you go to Pizza Pilgrims you could stroll into Other-Shop which is on the same street and claim your 10% SF discount

Yup, and it's pretty close to South Molton Street which has some cool shops.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah South Molton has several nice shops, albeit at least a few of them probably not in c4est's wheelhouse.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ClambakeSkate cheers, thanks for the insightful posts!! Would love to see an "industry" thread and get an eye into the reality of things. Sometimes I look out the window and wish I was in a tiny Italian village :)

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score

@ClambakeSkate cheers, thanks for the insightful posts!! Would love to see an "industry" thread and get an eye into the reality of things. Sometimes I look out the window and wish I was in a tiny Italian village :)

I think a "industry" thread could be interesting to some, but i think it may be a bit too depressing for most. Like revealing that the wizard of oz was some old, drunk, fat guy with a terrible haircut.

If you ever want to trade apartments for a week, let me know. ;)

Last edited:

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you guys say "**** pay," how much are we talking about exactly? Enough to live in the city on? What's the upward mobility?

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denmark Street is a total shitshow right now though.

I'll take your word for it - I haven't been in a few months. Is it really that bad just to walk down and enter a shop?

Gruff

Reaction score
I think a "industry" thread could be interesting to some, but i think it may be a bit too depressing for most. Like revealing that the wizard of oz was some old, drunk, fat guy with a terrible haircut.

I've always thought an industry thread would be a fascinating topic. There are countless discussions here where people start to veer into business talk but it always fizzles out just as the discussion gets interesting.

There are a lot of posters here who have worked in, or are currently working in, the biz. Plus, a not insignificant amount of posters have years worth of more generalized business experience. Seems like it'd be a solid critical mass for some good conversation.

EdwardB

Reaction score
When you guys say "**** pay," how much are we talking about exactly? Enough to live in the city on? What's the upward mobility?
Entry-level in NYC is around 30-40K for design/tech/production/product development ("cooler" companies are on the lower end of this spectrum, mass market is on the higher end). Unless you know someone, you're usually expected to have interned for a while (like...at least a year) before you're even considered for these types of positions.

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends on the job obviously, but in my experience you can expect a good 15-20% less in yearly pay compared to an equivalent job in another industry.

I'll take your word for it - I haven't been in a few months. Is it really that bad just to walk down and enter a shop?

TCR station is a bit of a nightmare atm with all the crossrail stuff happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads