1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. APK

APK Senior member

This is the sort of stuff I was talking about. I know some will discount it based on the site alone, but Gawker (RIP) was running an on-going series featuring accounts of people who worked at Amazon in various positions (mostly fulfillment center level jobs). The environment goes well beyond the usual complaints that come with your standard retail or service industry job. The quotas and iron-fisted time management on the employees makes the warehouse sound like a scene out of Metropolis.

I mean, I get it, it's a low-level job. It's their fault for not being investment bankers or engineers, but Amazon still needs these modern-day underground workers to keep the machine running. It's just a shame the machine now needs to chew up and spit out hundreds of plebs to keep it moving smoothly.

4 people like this.
  2. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

Oh, well, I dunno. Never seen anything like that. But it's also been quite a while since I've used either service. Last time I used Lyft on a surge pricing night it said right in the app what the multiplier was.

3. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Similar story with ASOS warehouse staff.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/saraspary/these-asos-workers-are-paying-the-true-price-of-your-order

Uber used to, but have removed it and only show that small disclaimer about increased fares.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  4. APK

APK Senior member

PS I totally get the irony of me speaking on behalf of the mistreated workers just days after posting in this thread about how I basically am content to buy mall-level stuff that can only be priced as it is because people on the bottom of the chain of command are being mistreated even worse than the Amazon warehouse folks.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The machine has always done this. It's not just now.

Someone has gotta pay - and if you don't want it to be you, you've got to pass it to someone else. There is simply no way around this. Now, if we this discussion is going to continue (and it probably should), I'm going to move it to it's own thread.

6. jet

jet Senior member

I don't use either service though friends do but it sounds to me like the classic new business model. Introduce a new service, undercut the competition until you drive them out and then steadily jack up your prices after you become popular a la Toj.

7. badeggcat

badeggcat Senior member

Made a purchase off Grailed for the first time and it has been painful. Seller took two weeks to ship and sent the wrong item. What are my options given that I'm no longer keen to deal with the seller?

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

There is no new on-demand economy just an attempt by Capital to sidestep labour laws and make everyone some sort of piecemeal/part-time slave renting their small studio here and there to visitors and driving a cab during nights to pay for it. Digital economy is about the market invading new areas of people's lives.

Also any system of automated car driving should be a public good (and no car ownership), the Swedes are going to make great strides in that regard (hopefully).

tl;dr: fuck your "new" economy!

8 people like this.
  9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I travel all over the world and have no trouble finding cabs and paying from a wallet/card is the same as paying from a phone. There is basically no improvement just a different medium (your stupid phone) versus the old one (actually talking to people).

3 people like this.
  10. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Hard to feel sympathy for taxi drivers in my country, where the majority of them have been scamming people (tourists, mostly) for decades.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You live in Rome?

12. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

This is just patently untrue. Come on over to Denver and see how much luck you have getting cabs in a timely and easy manner. Hailing? Maybe if you're downtown (and even then most of them will ignore you), tough titties anywhere else in the city. Calling their dispatch line? OK well first you need to look up what companies are available in the area, pick one and call their number, hope dispatch actually answers, and then it's anyone's guess when the cab will actually arrive since all the drivers are independent contractors and dispatch has zero authority over them. iPhone/Android app? They're all hot doo-doo of questionable functionality.

And payment is vastly different between Uber/Lyft and cabs. Cabs require an actual physical transaction to take place between driver and fare, Uber/Lyft is all done securely and electronically in the background. Just get to your destination and get out of the car and go on with your life. Make a couple of quick taps on your phone at your leisure to add a tip and finalize the transaction and it's done.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    3 people like this.
  13. mythage

mythage Senior member

I would message the seller to try to resolve it. If he remains difficult then just escalate a PayPal claim.

14. stafa

stafa Senior member

Safety is a legitimate benefit (not as much for me, but definitely my lady) and the behavior of both drivers and passengers tends to improve because of the review system

15. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I hope you're being facetious here. Not everyone needs to be an investment banker or an engineer to be a productive, valued member of society - it's hardly their "fault" they're not part of a particular job series or industry.

Just because Amazon uses manual laborers (who in some cases may not be highly educated) to staff their warehouses in no way implies that those workers should be treated like slaves with no recourse towards a better work-life balance or living wage. It's a perversion of capitalism that treats workers like cogs in a machine instead of valued contributors to the success of a business.

Patagonia is a good example of a company that makes a concerted effort to get it right, IMO.

16. habitant

habitant Senior member

Investment bankers, lawyers, real estate agents and their ilk are the real problem with our society. They produce nothing and still leech money that ultimately comes from manufactured goods.

1 person likes this.
  17. habitant

habitant Senior member

The new way forward is linking buyers directly from the source, the entire middle man part of our society needs to be eliminated.

1 person likes this.
  18. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

something something power to the proletariat

3 people like this.
  19. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I think the cab vs service thing is very contingent on the city you're in. In DC/MD/VA the laws have been all over the place--DC cabs used to charge by a vague "zone" system basically at the discretion of the driver ie no meters. They fought meters HARD. Then they fought mandatory credit card readers HARD. I feel for people who buy expensive medallions (not sure that's how it works in DC) and I'm not saying DC cabbies were pocketing cash, just that Uber has made DC cabs more competitive in price and service. (also DC and MD cabs used to not want to take you across state lines bc they weren't allowed to pick up in other jurisdictions, another problem uber solved)

I understand the idea of concerns about safety, licensing, and liability with uber/lyft vs cabs, as well as treatment of drivers--tip your uber drivers.

[​IMG]

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Replace DC with Paris and this holds true as well. Uber forced taxi drivers to at least pretend not to be complete dickheads. The level of courtesy and service has changed dramatically over the last 12-18 months.