• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stores are cheap and don't want to get the hardware to read chips. They're also afraid of confusing customers (I'm serious).

Gas in California urban areas is some of the most expensive in the country, but still cheaper than Europe.

There are a lot of homeless people in SF and many other states and cities ship their homeless people over here because we have "better" support systems for homeless and mental health.

Ragechester

Reaction score
The volume of work too is sometimes hard to sift through.
Lol says the dude who made a y!jp auctions tee shirt. Sifting through his stuff is the best part! Most of it would never work for me but its so interesting to see all the different details and references in his work.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just came back from my first trip to the US. In 11 days I visited Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Sequoia National Park, Yosemite and San Francisco, all by car, so pretty hectic.
Few thoughts:

- The beauty of the three national parks I visited is astonishing. Paying $30 to access each one is well worth it and I hope the money goes mainly to preserve them. Unfortunately we didn't have time to visit Death Valley.

- Didn't care much for the cities (but this was even before going, I wanted to see mainly the national parks). I did like SF much better than LA, though (sorry LA people), but in 2 or 3 days at most it's hard to tell. Tons of homeless people in both cities, in every corner, I was shocked. Las Vegas represents everything I don't like (night life, gambling, etc.) but it's bizarre so definitely an experience. Palm Springs is quite photogenic but I wonder why anyone would want to live there, especially considering that it must be quite expensive. My phone said it was 45ºC when I was there (113ºF), by the way.

- Despite the intimidating size of most cars (America really loves its huge pick ups), drivers are way more respectful than what I'm used to (try driving in southern Europe, especially Italy...). No tailgatting, racing (except for a couple of assholes near Yosemite), attention whores revving up (god, so many of those over here with their ****** cars, it's always ****** cars...), hands on the horn all the time... The only thing that struck me as wrong was people constantly overtaking on the right lanes due to other drivers refusing to move to the right, is that allowed there? It does happen in larger cities here as well, though. Also, I had to Google how to deal with 4 way stops as we don't have those over here (it's all roundabouts). Ah, american lorries are beautiful in general, firefighter ones in particular. Loved the cheap gas prices too, especially since I had to fill the tank multiple times.

- Tips are a nightmare for someone not used to them. I knew I was supposed to tip between 15 and 20% but I had no idea how to do it when paying by card, and I actually had to ask (you know, they bring you the bill, you give them your card, they swipe it, then you get a receipt where you specify the tip and total and then sign it). And BTW, what's up with still using magnetic band + signature everywhere instead of the chip + pincode? Also I kept forgetting the sales tax. I don't know why it's not included in the prices at the stores, like VAT here.

- Didn't really went to clothing shops or anything, and wasn't looking for great food experiences either.

All in all, a wonderful experience.

To understand America, you should have attended a Trump rally.

https://storify.com/case_face/a-trump-rally-in-greensboro-anger-in-here-is-palpa

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Passing on the right is perfectly legal in CA and there is no mandated "passing lane." It's ******* ridiculous, but that's what we have.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The only thing that struck me as wrong was people constantly overtaking on the right lanes due to other drivers refusing to move to the right, is that allowed there?

In most places, you're supposed to ride on the right and pass on the left. (Maybe not in California... didn't know that before SvB's comment.)

People are ignorant, stubborn, and/or selfish. There are some people who believe that no one should be driving above the speed limit, so they refuse to move over in order to teach all those evil speeders a lesson.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're supposed to pass on the left. Doesnt stop people from passing on the left, the right, the shoulder, in oncoming traffic.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my anecdotal experience has been that "keep right except to pass" laws are actually counterproductive because Americans are immature assholes who love nothing more than spitting in the face of anyone telling them to exercise common sense and courtesy

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

People are ignorant, stubborn, and/or selfish. There are some people who believe that no one should be driving above the speed limit, so they refuse to move over in order to teach all those evil speeders a lesson.

Ughhhhhhhh........ We have those here as well. They are infuriating as hell.

The police actually (finally) did a campaign to get people to keep right, I hope it works.

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposed to, but it's not illegal to pass on the right under most circumstances. In most states you don't have to keep right except to pass, slower moving vehicles are just restricted to the right lane.

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cf. the guy who lived next to me freshmen year of college that wrote an editorial in the college newspaper about why seat belt laws are tyranny and then promptly died a few months later in a car accident after being thrown from the vehicle because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt (everyone else in the vehicle were wearing seat belts and only suffered minor scrapes and bruises)

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mickey, where are you from? funny to hear your appreciation for american fire trucks.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Supposed to, but it's not illegal to pass on the right under most circumstances. In most states you don't have to keep right except to pass, slower moving vehicles are just restricted to the right lane.

It's a $300 and 1 point (you get 3) moving violation here to pass on the right.

Last edited:

Ragechester

Reaction score
cf. the guy who lived next to me freshmen year of college that wrote an editorial in the college newspaper about why seat belt laws are tyranny and then promptly died a few months later in a car accident after being thrown from the vehicle because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt (everyone else in the vehicle were wearing seat belts and only suffered minor scrapes and bruises)

yup, I work in a trauma center and large percentage of what i see is seatbelt abuse and motorcyclists

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah motorcycles are cool and all, but I have zero desire to ride one and I'll definitely never buy one. Russian roulette on two wheels imo.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can lanesplit in Cali. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads